Fargo ValleyCon

Good morning.

The party last night was a blast. Kasteen pulled off an awesome party. Hats off!

Many BWB traditions were upheld. Our party was one of the busiest parties of the con. We had a good mix of fans and novices. And the party room was better when we left it than when we got it.

There were more costumes here at a convention of 800 people than at all of the Denver Worldcon. It was a lot of fun seeing so many people getting into the spirit of things.

At midnight last night they had a "Wonder Twins" contest. Yes, that kind of contest. A cleavage contest. Geeks are obsessed with boobs. There was a $2 admission and the money raised went to breast awareness. I mean breast cancer awareness. The BwB's very own Chataya took second place. I am sure the catsuit she was wearing helped. The fact that GRRM took one for the team and judged the contest probably didn't hurt either. It was no surprise that the BwB suite emptied out when the contest was about to start.

Once I find my notes, I will add some more details to the reading report. First I need to find my clothes.

All in a good cause, I suppose. Well done, Chataya!

Tsavong,

SPOILER: ADwD
Just the one Melisandre chapter? Very interesting indeed. That has to be a pretty momentous chapter, it seems to me.

Well, well, we'll see if Mel's chapter is called 'The Red Fraud' or something like that; or, even more revealing just 'Epilogue' ;-).

If there is anyone out there who made more detailed notes during the reading, then we should open a Quentyn I thread in the ADwD forum.

Oh, and my thoughts on the chapter (I've not been there, I' just speculating):

As Volantis is supposed to be the Free City that holds yet almost completely to valyrian custom (meaning that they most likely still stick very much to slavery; Pentos only abandoned it 'officially' because the Braavosi forced them to), it's understandable that they don't like Dany's anti-slavery politics.
The whole mercenary recruiting could be either done for the Golden Company (who might try to get rid of Daenerys and take the dragons to finally establish what they deem the true dynasty to the Iron Throne - all under the assumption that there is still a pretender within their ranks who has a sufficient claim to Iron Throne; or they might hire sellswords to join their forces with Daenerys, seeing her as an opportunity to get 'home').

On the other hand, the Volantenes themselves might recruit troops to free Meereen from Dany's rule to reestablish the business connections there. And there is the matter of Aegon refusing the offer of the Volantenes to rebuild Valyria's glory with his three dragons. Volantis (or, rather, the families in power there) might not have forgotten that slight. And with a Targaryen having dragons again, there might have come the time to settle things once and for all with House Targaryen.

The chapter seems to be set during late ASoS or early AFfC, as Quentyn still is unaware of the fact that Lord Tywin is dead. That means that Quentyn's mission started rather early (in AFfC it was never made clear - or I do not remember - when Quentyn was seen leaving Dorne), maybe even before Oberyn left for KL.
And as Quentyn is that early already in Volantis, he, most likely, will reach Daenerys in ADwD. Tyrion, maybe, too. But I don't see Marwyn, Victarion (and Euron?) getting to Slaver's Bay in the part in ADwD that is set after AFfC (especially if there are two Cersei chapters set in that part).
Do we know since when Quentyn know about this new role in his father's plans? And does he remember the old plans about Arianne marrying Viserys, and him become the Ruling Prince of Dorne (and if he does, did he prefer that, or is eager to become Westeros' first Prince Consort; oh, and if thinks about that, is the Dance of Dragons and Rhaenyra mentioned?)?

Does Quentyn think about his father and/or Lord Yronwood in the chapter? Arianne thinks he resembles Doran physically and mentally. Is it explained (or indicated) where he got his sense of duty and honor? And is there any indication that Lord Yronwood has still ill feelings against the Martells (because of Oberyn's actions), or thinks he about the Yronwoods fighting in three Blackfyre rebellions (might be possible with the news about the Golden Company coming to Volantis)?

Oh, and on Cersei's chapters:

Are they subject to the editorial decision as well, or does that apply only/more to the Sansa chapter, that has already been moved to TWoW?

SPOILER: ADWD
Did Martin actually say that Dance is getting "alarmingly long"? Earlier this month, he'd apparently just passed the 1,100 MS pages mark, which means he's still got no fewer than 400 MS pages left before he reaches Storm size. On that occasion, Martin also mentioned that he hoped to bring the book in a shorter length than Storm, but at the time I interpreted that statement as theoretical, not a firm goal that must be reached at all costs. Why is he so worried?

Granted, he's still got the Meereenese knot to deal with and perhaps a number of other chapters that still need to be written/completed, but I'd hate to think that he has to deal with some arbitrary limit (imposed either by himself or his publishers) that will keep the book from being Storm-size or nearly so. After waiting so long, I for one want a Storm-sized book, if this gives some publishers headaches, too bad. The hardcover edition of Storm is proof that it can be done. I'd hate to think we could be deprived of new material just because Dance is not allowed to go beyond, say, a 1,200, or 1,300 MS pages mark. To say nothing of the problems it could cause for the last two books if they are also afflicted with some arbitrary limit.

That doesn't make sense. I don't want a Storm-sized book for the sake of having a Storm-sized book, only if the story demands it. I don't want Dance to be an Erikson book where you have to wade through 700 pages of purple filler to get to the 300 pages where important things actually happen.

And, as has been said many times, the reality is that publishing in 2010 is a different business to what it was in 2000. Just because Bantam and Voyager could publish a 1,000-page hardcover in 2000 doesn't mean they can, or will, in 2010. GRRM is a big enough seller that Bantam will almost certainly be able to do it, but the increasingly split-happy Voyager maybe wouldn't, and if the book comes in at the same size as ASoS, then at the very least we'd be looking at a split in mmpb, if not in hardcover as well.

The point that other publishers can churn out bigger books (Erikson again, from Tor and Bantam UK, or Hamilton, from Del Rey and Pan Macmillan) is well-made, but irrelevant to how the specific publishers we are dealing with their work. Voyager has, in fact, split books that could have easily been one book going right back to when they were founded in the mid-1990s. The original Legends was also split by them for absolutely no discernable reason whatsoever, since the two pb volumes of that anthology came in at less than 350 pages each (and Legends II was published in one volume).

Something that is concerning:

Only three chapters for Davos? So the one where he gets shipwrecked on the Sisters, another where he arrives in White Harbour and then a third where...erm, his story in the book finishes. Worrying for his future survival prospects.

This comment from Ro_'s post is interesting:

SPOILER: ADWD Spoilers
Q is very concerned that Tywin's assassins will find Dany before he can get to her and protect her.

This is troubling. Tywin Lannister is a problem solver... he does not mess around. I always assumed everyone was ignoring Varys' curious reports ;) If Dany made it on Tywiin's radar... she's in big trouble. And it's also impressive that Doran/Q are that well informed on Tywin's plans.

Something that is concerning:

Only three chapters for Davos? So the one where he gets shipwrecked on the Sisters, another where he arrives in White Harbour and then a third where...erm, his story in the book finishes. Worrying for his future survival prospects.

Honestly, when I typed that I had to stop and think if he actually said 3 or if he said 5. I think he said 3, but 5 also sounds familiar. Maybe someone else can back me up on this. Also, I'm not entirely sure when it was I heard this (things kind of ran together). Part of me thinks someone at the party might have asked him and I just happened to overhear the answer. Likewise there are a few things that I seem to remember about the description of Volantis that I haven't shared because I'm not entirely sure what I'm remembering wasn't him, at another point, talking about a different series of books that he has read.

I'm home now, so I'm going to try to sit and recollect all I can and then I'll be back.

It was asked at the party, I think and no, I don't remember either. It was too much info too fast to remember when drunk. :/

I forgot to mention the hugest con surprise - Tsavong Lah is not a short Asian kid. :rofl:

E - sorry about the snoring. Steve actually RECORDED it. I think I will stop bitching about my neighbor's snoring. :lol:

Really, I think this was the most fun I have ever had at a con. Everyone was so fun and we got along so well. Thanks everyone. :)

P.S. Have confirmed that today I am much like a hallicinagetic toad. The kitten licked me then fell over in a sodden drunken heap.

It was asked at the party, I think and no, I don't remember either. It was too much info too fast to remember when drunk. :/

I forgot to mention the hugest con surprise - Tsavong Lah is not a short Asian kid. :rofl:

E - sorry about the snoring. Steve actually RECORDED it. I think I will stop bitching about my neighbor's snoring. :lol:

Really, I think this was the most fun I have ever had at a con. Everyone was so fun and we got along so well. Thanks everyone. :)

P.S. Have confirmed that today I am much like a hallicinagetic toad. The kitten licked me then fell over in a sodden drunken heap.

Indeed, it seems that everyone thought I was a short asian kid. So when I finally get to be a council member I think I know my custom title - "Not a short Asian kid".

Don't worry about the snoring, that didn't actually keep me awake at all. I really just appreciate the place to stay when I changed my plans at the last minute. I owe you guys the next time.

Oh, and I was reading Wert's update to the thread of known information on DwD,

SPOILER: and
I think it should be added that George stated pretty definitively that Winds will once again have all the characters and he won't be splitting POVs like that again. The current version says it is unknown how he plans to continue in the future. But he did add to that "I need to kill some fucking characters."

Well, well, we'll see if Mel's chapter is called 'The Red Fraud' or something like that; or, even more revealing just 'Epilogue' ;-).

If there is anyone out there who made more detailed notes during the reading, then we should open a Quentyn I thread in the ADwD forum.

Oh, and my thoughts on the chapter (I've not been there, I' just speculating):

As Volantis is supposed to be the Free City that holds yet almost completely to valyrian custom (meaning that they most likely still stick very much to slavery; Pentos only abandoned it 'officially' because the Braavosi forced them to), it's understandable that they don't like Dany's anti-slavery politics.

Volantis still speaks Valarian, but a corrupted version of it. I took it to mean word shift rather than accent, etc. Evidently Volantis has five slaves for every free man and the slaves are marked with a variety of signs by a tattoo on their cheek. The innkeeper convinced Q that they must use the dwarf elephant carts to travel, as a man can lose standing by walking. However, the innkeep also had a cousin who just happened to have a (??livery? elephant??) stable. :P

One thing I just remembered - on the way back to the inn, the group tries to get Q to stop and watch a comedy show, but he won't have any of it. He doesn't want laughter, he wants to serve Dorne and get to his bride. The interesting thing about the comedy show? It was two dwarves dressed in tin armour, one mounted on a pig and one on a dog. Same as at the Purple Wedding perhaps?

The whole mercenary recruiting could be either done for the Golden Company (who might try to get rid of Daenerys and take the dragons to finally establish what they deem the true dynasty to the Iron Throne - all under the assumption that there is still a pretender within their ranks who has a sufficient claim to Iron Throne; or they might hire sellswords to join their forces with Daenerys, seeing her as an opportunity to get 'home').

The mercs were shouting out their company names, but ofc I don't remember them. Not ones I remember hearing before.

On the other hand, the Volantenes themselves might recruit troops to free Meereen from Dany's rule to reestablish the business connections there. And there is the matter of Aegon refusing the offer of the Volantenes to rebuild Valyria's glory with his three dragons. Volantis (or, rather, the families in power there) might not have forgotten that slight. And with a Targaryen having dragons again, there might have come the time to settle things once and for all with House Targaryen.

The chapter seems to be set during late ASoS or early AFfC, as Quentyn still is unaware of the fact that Lord Tywin is dead. That means that Quentyn's mission started rather early (in AFfC it was never made clear - or I do not remember - when Quentyn was seen leaving Dorne), maybe even before Oberyn left for KL.

Q was called to his father in the water garden, where the children are, and his father gave him his directions. His internal flashbacks don't indicate a timeline more than it was before Doran left the water garden. Q had also rejected suggestions to return to Dorne because he refused to fail his Father, Dorne, and the most beautiful woman in the world.

And as Quentyn is that early already in Volantis, he, most likely, will reach Daenerys in ADwD. Tyrion, maybe, too. But I don't see Marwyn, Victarion (and Euron?) getting to Slaver's Bay in the part in ADwD that is set after AFfC (especially if there are two Cersei chapters set in that part).

Do we know since when Quentyn know about this new role in his father's plans? And does he remember the old plans about Arianne marrying Viserys, and him become the Ruling Prince of Dorne (and if he does, did he prefer that, or is eager to become Westeros' first Prince Consort; oh, and if thinks about that, is the Dance of Dragons and Rhaenyra mentioned?)?

No mention of any of that. :(

Does Quentyn think about his father and/or Lord Yronwood in the chapter? Arianne thinks he resembles Doran physically and mentally. Is it explained (or indicated) where he got his sense of duty and honor? And is there any indication that Lord Yronwood has still ill feelings against the Martells (because of Oberyn's actions), or thinks he about the Yronwoods fighting in three Blackfyre rebellions (might be possible with the news about the Golden Company coming to Volantis)?

Yes, he thinks about both of them. Is this the intro chapter to Q? I think it must be, since we were given a brief physical descrip - he has brown hair and a large jaw IIRC. Nothing on height or attractiveness that I recall.

Oh, and on Cersei's chapters:

Are they subject to the editorial decision as well, or does that apply only/more to the Sansa chapter, that has already been moved to TWoW?

I got the impression that if the chapter suited, it had been moved and other chapters may be moved as well. No indications that some chapters must be in one book or the other. It was more than just the Sansa chapter that has been moved - I mentioned the Arya one up there ^ and I *think* there were more.

Sorry, answered within the quote, with my responses in bold.

so uh, not sure if this needs spoiler text
SPOILER: ADWD?
Any description at all of what Quentyn looks like?

^^^^

I said he has brown hair and a large jaw. Nothing else was indicated.

Awesome details everyone. Thanks for posting.

I was hoping to have more Mel chapters, but the fact that it's only one, tells me that it will be magnificent.

Was there any hint or indication by 'the big man' about which was the faster, but dishonourable way of getting to Daenerys? Would it be joining a sellsword company to get to her?

Awesome details everyone. Thanks for posting.

I was hoping to have more Mel chapters, but the fact that it's only one, tells me that it will be magnificent.

Was there any hint or indication by 'the big man' about which was the faster, but dishonourable way of getting to Daenerys? Would it be joining a sellsword company to get to her?

Nope. Total cliffhanger. I am inclined to believe your guess tho.

Jughead, that's my belief of what the idea is, that the only way to get to Slaver's Bay in the time frame they have is to join one of the companies that are being hired to take out Cleon and Dany.

Spoiler ADWD

Well, I must say Quentyn is not at all what I expected. Definitely not a Dornish rake. I suppose it doesn't bide very well for him. Honorable, dutiful to a point, no sense of humor. We all know how such characters usually end up in ASOIAF :) Even so, I find his sexual innocence jarring considering his background. Dornish mores are what they are, and he is son of the friggin' Prince of Dorne. He also doesn't appear to be crippled or particularly fugly. Even if he is naturally shy, certainly many girls would pursue him.

As for Davos, I suspect he is a goner. Only three chapters, and George mentions he has to kill off some POVs? It makes him primary goal for the culling. I also suspect the one Melisandre chapter may very well be an epilogue.

Archived