U.S. Politics part X

EHK for Darwin

ap,

That's not what I heard when I listened to the press conference but in fairness the audio wasn't great.

Annelise,

Bauer, for example, was late for a State Senate session and was pulled while driving 90 in Downtown Columbia. Rather than wait for the officer he jump out of his car and ran towards the police car prompting the officer to draw his weapon train it on Bauer and demand he lay on the ground. A well thought out course of action because he was late.

Nymeria,

I'm not aruging Sanford is the ripest apple in the barrel, quite clearly he's not. I'm saying Andre Bauer (our Lt. Governor) would be worse.

I, and many others in my State, are quite curious to discover who paid for his little trip to Argentina.

To me that's no reason to keep Sanford. It'd be rather hypocritical to keep him on under the circumstances. But that's IMO. If you say you'd be better off with Sanford, I believe you.

I wouldn't be surprised if you, the taxpayer, paid for it.

ap,

That's not what I heard when I listened to the press conference but in fairness the audio wasn't great.

I didn't get the impression he choked up, either. He seemed unrepentant to me and called on God to bring his wife back to him for the sake of his kids. Well, God force him to have an affair, and God shouldn't help him out of it, either.

I used to think that the GOP's best chance of winning was for the economy to stay bad and for Romney to emerge. I still think the former but I've started to notice something about Romney. When he's on TV the viewer cannot be completely sure that he is a living, breathing human being. That is a problem electorally.

:lol: I was *just* taking a peek at redstate after DG's previous post...

It is also a shame because it means we may have to endure yet another Mitt Romney candidacy as fiscal conservatives look for a home on 2012.
http://www.redstate.com/streiff/2009/06/24...marital-affair/

Not exactly sounding fired up over Romney.

:lol: I was *just* taking a peek at redstate after DG's previous post...

http://www.redstate.com/streiff/2009/06/24...marital-affair/

Not exactly sounding fired up over Romney.

Redstate is a hoot, isn't it? I got banned from there a year ago when I asserted that Americans had not gotten weak and vacillating since WWII. Not sure how that qualifies me as a pinko commie, but hey.

Are there any Republican officeholders who have not had affairs? I confess I cannot keep them all straight...and judging from Larry Craig, neither can the GOP.

Has everyone seen neo-con John McCain's clumsy statement about what side Obama may or may not be on? Joe Scarborough (hardly part of the 'liberal media') was ripping McCain pretty good for it this morning.

The "liberal media" is whatever whining right-wingers want to define it as for their convenience.

McCain's been particularly opportunistic and whorish about this Iran thing. He got his ass handed to him by Joe Klein on CSPAN yesterday:

"Be quiet," said Klein. "You don't need to do this. You know? You know what you're doing is a self-indulgent at this point. Sen. McCain, if he's going to talk about this, should also talk about the fact that the United States supported Saddam Hussein in the Iran/Iraq war for eight years. Every one of those protesters out in the streets, every last one of them believes the United States supplied Saddam Hussein with the poison gas that has debilitated tens of thousands of Iranian men."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/06/23/m...n_n_219407.html

By the way, Fox News misidentified Sanford's party affiliation in their chyron. Yes, they put a (D) after his name.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/200906240026

One might consider it a simple mistake, but they've done this before -- misidentifying Republicans facing scandals or poor poll numbers as Democrats.

http://mediamatters.org/research/200610130010

And the sad thing is, I'm not sure most of their viewers would even catch that.

Amazing. I know that they did this with Foley. Did they do it with Craig too?

Not so far as I know. The second link I posted mentions misidentifications of Foley (and another Republican in the past who had an affair with a page) and of Lincoln Chafee, the Republican Senator from Rhode Island (who was mostly a good guy) that got knocked out of office in 2006 with the anti-GOP tide.

Sanford is giving a press conference right now. He just (30 seconds ago) admitted he was having an affair with a woman in Argentina. I guess he's big on the internet dating.

He's resigning as President of the Republician Governor's association.

To answer earlier questions Sanford has always been odd. But this sitation is weird even for him.

Not another one... Before I thought it great that he was out hiking in the woods away from the sordid business of politics. But instead it's to a tryst in Argentina...

We should come up with some kind of legislation to punish hyper-hypocritical adulterous morality scolds. We could call it... the Defense of Marriage Act or something.

I wouldn't mind that.

Archived