U.S. Politics part X

EHK for Darwin

Ah, too bad I was not here for the fun on Ensign. GOP, here, have some more eggs on your self-righteous face.

Muwahhahahahah.

Too bad the GOP voters are not very likely to take that into consideration as they flock to the next politician carrying the MORALITY banner.

We should come up with some kind of legislation to punish hyper-hypocritical adulterous morality scolds. We could call it... the Defense of Marriage Act or something.

Sanford is giving a press conference right now. He just (30 seconds ago) admitted he was having an affair with a woman in Argentina. I guess he's big on the internet dating.

He's resigning as President of the Republician Governor's association.

To answer earlier questions Sanford has always been odd. But this sitation is weird even for him.

Women????

Fuck, there's goes $10.

Wow. I suspected he was having an affair, but he actually admitted it.

Kudos to his wife for NOT standing by his side during that press conference. She's treating like the scum he is and I don't blame her one bit. Let him take the fall all by himself.

The Republicans have got to be throwing their hands up in abject despair wondering what on God's green earth they're doing wrong. At this rate there won't even be a suitable GOP nomination in 2010.

Has to be the most bizarre non-presidential sex scandal ever. And that's really saying something because there's been some competition lately. Crossing into a different hemisphere while getting your staff to tell people you're on the Appalachian Trail takes the cake, though.

Wow. I suspected he was having an affair, but he actually admitted it.

Kudos to his wife for NOT standing by his side during that press conference. She's treating like the scum he is and I don't blame her one bit. Let him take the fall all by himself.

Actually, apparently she's known about it for like a year now, or so I've heard.

The Republicans have got to be throwing their hands up in abject despair wondering what on God's green earth they're doing wrong. At this rate there won't even be a suitable GOP nomination in 2010.

Nope, they've still got their heads in the sand.

Actually, apparently she's known about it for like a year now, or so I've heard.

Yeah, don't feel like going back to the story to quote it, but I remember there being a line saying his wife and kids had known about the affair for at least the last 5 months.

I think it started with driving out all their sane members to double down on McJesus and War.

AP,

I believe he said the affair had been going on for five months. He said his wife and family knew about the affair but never said when they learned about the affair.

I do have a question. Is Mark Sanford actually a gibbering idiot or is he suffering from an as yet undiscovered brain tumor?

The time has come for the GOP (our purported bastions of traditional morality) to come clean. No need to go public with past discretions - you can have a clean slate if you will sign the following.

Bronn Stone's New GOP Contract With America

I am not currently involved in an extra-marital affair

I have not had sex outside my marriage in the previous ninety days

I will not have sex outside my marriage ever, from this day forward

I have confessed all past indiscretions to my spouse

I recognize that this creates a contract between me and my constituents - should I ever violate it, I promise to repay all public monies paid to me as salary during my tenure as an elected official, from this day forward

----------------------------------------------

(signature)

Until they are willing to sign the above, I'd greatly appreciate that they kindly STFU about any claims of the moral high ground

I'll even give them 91 days to sign.

Wow, what a clusterfuck. I'm guessing Gov. Sanford is not going to be running for Pres. in 2012.

Do you get the sense that he should be concerned about those impeachment murmurings? Seems like he's not been the most popular guy in town of late, even among his own party. But maybe that's overblown?

I think it started with driving out all their sane members to double down on McJesus and War.

Yeah, but at least for the last 20 years they managed to keep their little indiscretions relatively hush hush. Lately they've been dropping like flies--not that the Dems have been totally innocent, but at least they're not the ones preaching God and "family values", whatever the hell that means anyway.

I think it is now okay to make anyone who's still a Republican feel like an idiot. Why do they keep supporting these people?

Do you get the sense that he should be concerned about those impeachment murmurings? Seems like he's not been the most popular guy in town of late, even among his own party. But maybe that's overblown?

Elliot Spitzer resigned. So did the guy from New Jersey. It's only fitting that Sanford do the same...and slide into oblivion with his mistress.

Annelise,

He's pissed everybody off. His vetos are frequently overturned by the Republican controled State Assembly and State Senate. However, having an affair isn't illegal. Unless he used State resources for his weekend trip to see his honey in Argentina I doubt he will be impeached. Truth be told I hope he isn't removed from office. Our Lt. Governor is an even bigger idiot. I didn't vote for either man in 2006.

It's particularly refreshing now to look at the deep truths and prescient wisdom of Erick Erickson, the troglodyte who runs RedState.com:

First, we need to be clear on the facts -- not the media speculation:

- Sanford did tell his staff and family where he was going.

- Because he was traveling without a security detail, it was in his best interests that no one knew he was gone.

- His political enemies -- Republicans at that -- ginned up the media story.

- When confronted by a pestering media, things went downhill.

- Again though, at all times there was no doubt that Sanford's staff and family knew where he was.

- Now, here is all you need to know about this whole entire story -- the reaction from the erstwhile Republicans angry at Sanford for not being a fiscal squish and from the media all go back to their core belief that without Sanford manning the barricades of government at all times, the government will collapse and people will starve, die, and forget how to read and write.

That's it.

But that did not happen. Life in South Carolina went on. The world did not end. Government did not go off the rails. That the media and politicians would react as they did says more about their world view than anything else.

It is refreshing that Mark Sanford is secure enough in himself and the people of South Carolina that he does not view himself as an indispensable man.

Way to pick a winner, you mouthbreathing dumbass.

Annelise,

He's pissed everybody off. His vetos are frequently overturned by the Republican controled State Assembly and State Senate. However, having an affair isn't illegal. Unless he used State resources for his weekend trip to see his honey in Argentina I doubt he will be impeached. Truth be told I hope he isn't removed from office. Our Lt. Governor is an even bigger idiot. I didn't vote for either man in 2006.

Ser Scot, he left the country without transferring power to the Lt. Governor. In an emergency, the Lt. Gov. has no authority to act. What if SC got hit with a Cat 5 hurricane or something? (Unlikely, but it is hurricane season.) Or some other emergency? The point is that no one knew where he was. That's unacceptable. Even the manager of your local McDonald's has to let someone know when they're going on vacation, where they're going, and a phone number or some way to get hold of them. Sanford did none of those things. His staff was forced to lie for him to cover it up.

Having an affair isn't illegal, but if he was a Dem they'd be calling for his head on a silver platter and forcing him to resign.

Elliot Spitzer resigned. So did the guy from New Jersey. It's only fitting that Sanford do the same...and slide into oblivion with his mistress.

And if he doesn't, if he tries to make do with just resigning as chair of the Republican Gov's association, can and will the legislature go after him? Not sure what S.C. considers being derelict in one's duties as Governor or what circumstances allow for impeachment.

Scot,

Truth be told I hope he isn't removed from office. Our Lt. Governor is an even bigger idiot

Doh! That sucks.

I, and many others in my State, are quite curious to discover who paid for his little trip to Argentina.

He just can't be that dumb. But .. if he is, are you sure you're not better of with Bauer?

AP,

I believe he said the affair had been going on for five months. He said his wife and family knew about the affair but never said when they learned about the affair.

I do have a question. Is Mark Sanford actually a gibbering idiot or is he suffering from an as yet undiscovered brain tumor?

From the article I read:

"I've let down a lot of people, that's the bottom line," Sanford said at a news conference. He said he's known the woman about eight years, but their relationship turned into something more a year ago while he was on an economic development trip to Argentina.

Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

Sanford, a 49-year-old father of four, choked up during remarks to reporters. He said his wife has known about the affair for the last five months.

Archived