U.S. Politics part X

EHK for Darwin

That said, I'm pretty much in the same boat. I can't get two words into a typical Republican talking point without wanting to vomit. I can't listen to conservative radio in the car without looking for pedestrians to run over. And for the sake of the long term health of my plasma TV, I never throw on Fox news. If I did, I'd very quickly turn remote hurling into a house destroying Olympic sport. Pretty much everything about the party disgusts me. And I don't quite understand how any intelligent person isn't disgusted by it themselves whether they agree with the platform or not.

That said, I'm pretty much in the same boat. I can't get two words into a typical Republican talking point without wanting to vomit. I can't listen to conservative radio in the car without looking for pedestrians to run over. And for the sake of the long term health of my plasma TV, I never throw on Fox news. If I did, I'd very quickly turn remote hurling into a house destroying Olympic sport. Pretty much everything about the party disgusts me. And I don't quite understand how any intelligent person isn't disgusted by it themselves whether they agree with the platform or not.

Interesting...I feel pretty much the same way when I try to watch CNBC, MSNBC..or CNN. Bunch of folks licking the sweat off of Obamas balls....not knowing that the shit is coming soon after. Exact same way..how can any intellegent person believe the crap that Obama is shoveling? Its amazing the way that folks can be so easily duped.

Hasta!

Stark Out!

*yawn*, I usually could care less about minor spelling errors, but when calling out the intelligence of others, it usually helps to spell the word correctly.

I'm pretty sure we're squarely in felony territory, aren't we? Fun!

Let me remind our right-wingers that most of us liberals thought he was scummy too.

Except for some of the idiots on Nova M and Air America who suddenly decided that Reid just had to seat him. We deep-sixed ourselves on this one. I was opposed to this from the start. I still don't think that the senate should have been forced to seat him. I'm a black Democrat too.

Interesting...I feel pretty much the same way when I try to watch CNBC, MSNBC..or CNN. Bunch of folks licking the sweat off of Obamas balls....not knowing that the shit is coming soon after. Exact same way..how can any intellegent person believe the crap that Obama is shoveling? Its amazing the way that folks can be so easily duped.
stark do you ever post anything substantive -- what was said that you don't agree with, who said it, that sort of thing -- or is "i hate obama" about as long as you can stand to wear the thinking cap

Except for some of the idiots on Nova M and Air America who suddenly decided that Reid just had to seat him. We deep-sixed ourselves on this one. I was opposed to this from the start. I still don't think that the senate should have been forced to seat him. I'm a black Democrat too.

"We" did nothing of the kind. Moron journalists and our defective Congressional delegation did so, and I'm not terribly interested in being tarred with the same brush.

Inigima, Horus,

Do you think the Senate Ethics commitee will take action against Sen. Burris? It's not getting much play in the media, will they simply try to ride the wave and see if this blows over? I wonder if Burris will even run for re-election? Will that be in 2010 or 2012?

There really wasn't much Reid could do, really; Burris had been lawfully appointed and was at the time under no genuine cloud of malfeasance. IMO, Reid's biggest mistake was committing himself before he was certain of his footing.

Hopefully, some Illinois Democrat with an untarnished reputation (if such exists) will primary this guy and keep the seat blue.

(You know, I guess a Philadelphia Democrat hardly has standing to make this statement, but what the hell is going on in the Prairie State?)

The Republican Party really is in a jam: To their credit, the party's elected leaders are mostly trying to sound reasonable notes about Sotomayor...

But while Republicans who actually have to get elected are being fairly cautious in their reactions to Sotomayor, their unelected and unelectable stormtroopers [Rush, Coulter, Newt] are leading a public crusade against the well-qualified working class daughter of the Bronx. Karl Rove likewise weighed in for good measure, ridiculing Sotomayor by saying, "I know lots of stupid people who went to Ivy League schools."

http://www.salon.com/opinion/walsh/?last_s...h_newt_coulter/

Yes, they're calling her a racist and intellectually deficient. Pat Buchanan also chimed in on the latter. Huckabee didn't even get her first name right, calling her Maria Sotomayor. These are the front page faces of the GOP. The choir may be happy with the preachin', but I don't see the tent widening with this approach, esp. given the persistant perceptions of the of the GOP as indifferent to minorities to outright racist - it just looks like they're living up to that stereotype/reputation.

Hopefully, some Illinois Democrat with an untarnished reputation (if such exists) will primary this guy and keep the seat blue.

I don't know about the tarnish, but (D) State Treasurer Alexi Giannoulias, who is well ahead in fundraising in the first quarter, is running. A couple others are pondering it.

This is from April 18th:

The latest poll numbers could spell out a bleak future for embattled U.S. Sen. Roland Burris.

A new Rasmussen report shows Burris has a 19 percent favorable rating. And only about 4 percent of likely voters surveyed said they would definitely vote for the South Side Democrat, who was appointed by now-indicted former Gov. Rod Blagojevich.

Burris' media and political consultant Delmarie Cobb said that despite the senator's seemingly battered image and campaign war chest of only $845, running for re-election in 2010 is "still a possibility."

From the Salon article:

Karl Rove likewise weighed in for good measure, ridiculing Sotomayor by saying, "I know lots of stupid people who went to Ivy League schools." Well, we know he knows at least one: His famous boss was a legacy admit to both Harvard and Yale – but unlike Sotomayor, Bush didn't graduate summa cum laude or Phi Beta Kappa.

Ah Joan Walsh...how I love thee!

There really wasn't much Reid could do, really; Burris had been lawfully appointed and was at the time under no genuine cloud of malfeasance. IMO, Reid's biggest mistake was committing himself before he was certain of his footing.

Not that I think this would happen, but I really wish this screw up on Reid's part came back to bite him next time he's up for re-election.

Tracker,

Didn't I tell you, years ago, that it was possible to push Homosexual marriage via State legislatures.

:)

Well, in the Keystone State a push is all it will be. The state House is controlled by Democrats, it's true, but even in the (highly unlikely) event that body passes this bill, the Republican-dominated Senate will put it down like a mad dog. It's a shame, too, because Governor Rendell is gay-friendly and I am certain would sign a same sex marriage bill should it land on his desk.

Dammit.

Tracker,

This is the first legislative push for homosexual marriage in Pennsylvania. It's not going to work ever time it's tried. But the very fact that it's being discussed legislatively is a very good sign.

It is. We're winning, even if it takes ten more years.

Not that I think this would happen, but I really wish this screw up on Reid's part came back to bite him next time he's up for re-election.

Not that I think this would happen, but I really wish a Great White Shark came back to bite him immediately.

So John Cornyn is the latest to attempt a stand. Being a Senator from Texas is prolly extra incentive.

Republican leaders entered 2009 concerned that their party would, in the context of an immigration debate, allow itself to be defined by voices who would alienate Hispanic voters; some strategists have discussed the need for other Republicans to publicly rebuke those figures, and to signal that Hispanics are more than welcome in the party.

The Sotomayor nomination is providing an unexpected early test of how willing GOP leaders are to attack fellow partisans on behalf of their Hispanic constituents, and Senator John Cornyn appears pretty willing:

"I think it's terrible. This is not the kind of tone that any of us want to set when it comes to performing our constitutional responsibilities of advice and consent," Cornyn told NPR's "All Things Considered" of the attack on Sotomayor as "racist."

"Neither one of these men are elected Republican officials," he said of Gingrich and Limbaugh. "I just don't think it's appropriate and I certainly don't endorse it. I think it's wrong."

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/050...ayor_alone.html

I think... damnit, I think Big John doesn't back down. That's my bet.

Archived