How will you watch the pilot?

Well, I have absolutely no idea how I'm gonna watch it.

I'm from Germany, so there is neither HBO nor BBC, and as someone already told, watching it via the official sites is no option since your internet connection has to originate in the corresponding countries (tried this with Heroes, "only for residents of the U.S. blablabla"; was a long, hard wait for the DVDs).

If there is anyone out there who has some ideas I'd be grateful. Legal ideas, that is. Language is no issue, I prefer original sound. I'm of course willing to pay for what I get, as long as it isn't unreasonable. And just that there is no misunderstanding, I'm NOT offering to buy pirate ware, I'm looking for a legal way to somehow get HBO/BBC content whitout having to wait months for DVD releases of shows that already screened in the whole U.S./U.K.

Couldn't you get some some sort of premium satellite service? I remember when I lived in Ukraine, my cousin's dish could pick up a ton of cable channels from Germany and Poland. But this was back in the nineties and probably wasn't strictly legal (as he wasn't paying any subscription fees). Myself, I'm afraid I'll need to resort to illegal ways but I'll buy the bluerays of the full season, to compensate, as soon as they come out (which sadly won't b soon enough for my impatient self :) ).

Well, I have absolutely no idea how I'm gonna watch it.

I'm from Germany, so there is neither HBO nor BBC, and as someone already told, watching it via the official sites is no option since your internet connection has to originate in the corresponding countries (tried this with Heroes, "only for residents of the U.S. blablabla"; was a long, hard wait for the DVDs).

If there is anyone out there who has some ideas I'd be grateful. Legal ideas, that is. Language is no issue, I prefer original sound. I'm of course willing to pay for what I get, as long as it isn't unreasonable. And just that there is no misunderstanding, I'm NOT offering to buy pirate ware, I'm looking for a legal way to somehow get HBO/BBC content whitout having to wait months for DVD releases of shows that already screened in the whole U.S./U.K.

you can get the BBC via satellite in parts of Germany for free.

http://sat.beitinger.de/astra_2d.html (google translated version http://translate.google.de/translate?u=htt...de&ie=UTF-8 )

works fine here in Trier. I bought my second LNB for about 50€ last summer (Olympics in hd for free ;)) I think this is the only legal option.

So how will you go about actually watching it? Get together with a fellow ASOIAF lover, cook your favorite meal, dim down the lights, order a plasma tv?

(Obviously we will all rush here on westeros.org to post our opinions :D )

I will watch it much as I watch any other TV series.

I will not do what I placed in bold from the quote. If the series is greenlit, once it starts, I'm not going to look at the threads discussing it. I find the hyper-critical discussion of TV shows on this board has me swiftly hating all of them. This will be significantly amplified with ASOIAF as it's the one thing we all have in common and so are all presumably interested in. I plan to stay away from the dicussion threads until after the season is over.

Meh. People on this board are highly critical. The new Star Trek movie was one of the best, and people here (including myself) did mostly nothing but rip on it. It's a lot more fun than saying "That movie was good."

No doubt. I'll look forward to endless threads of "this actor/actress doesn't look right," grousing about new scenes and "I hate what they've done to a masterpiece!"

heh, I'm already starting to compile my future tirade on why their version of Ice doesn't look anything like a Valyrian blade. I don't need to see it, I just know they are going to get it wrong. :smoking:

edited for typos

heh, I'm already starting to compile my future tirade on why their version of Ice doesn't look anything like a Valyrian blade. I don't need to see it, I just know they are going to get it wrong. :smoking:

I've had a premonition about that as well. I have zero faith that they'll get the metal to look just right. (Which for me means it has to look like Damascene steel.)

Well if the BBC shows it close to the US first showing and by close I mean a matter of days.

I will refrain from watching/dowloading it via the net.

Otherwise its time for some google-fu well more likely some more mysterious kinds of fu.

As for torrenting and angry letters, well yeah thats what you get for not practicing safe torrenting.

Of course I would prefer to watch it on my big TV and not my medium sized monitor, but I have no patience for idiots and their lets give the US everything first because there is no such thing as the internet and kindly Americans will not upload it for the rest of us.

My assumption is that, if the BBC is putting funding into the series, they'll show it very close to when it's shown in the US, simply because they must realise by now how many people will illegally torrent it otherwise, and they'd just end up losing ratings that way.

There was a two-and-a-half month gap between the first showing of Rome in the US, and the first showing of Rome in the UK, though, and tat was also an HBO/BBC funded production, so who knows? Was four years ago now, though.

If you're referring to me, I'm a metallurgist. I'm allowed to be particular about metals. So there.

We are not scary, is it so bad to want the swords in this show to actually look like real swords and not like shiny aluminum tin toys like those in "Merlin".

I'm also hoping they won't make the actors too clean-looking or dressed in overly bright colours - Tudor's big failing. I'm a failed historian myself thus nothing smells fake to me more than a brand new bright green doublet with purple slashing and boots made from shiny pleather on some actor with highlights in his hair and obvious signs of being assaulted by someone wielding at least two cans of hair products.

So basically, I don't care that it's HBO, the minute I smell low-budget cash-in I turn my computer off and maybe get its only season dvd compilation years later for the sake of curiosity. This show is really one of those that will succeed or fail on the basis of believability of its sets and performances. To me at least.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived