Should the United States be more like Europe?

shootme

Please tell me I'm right about the foreskin thing. Europe still skews uncut*, no?

Can't say much for the rest of Europe but in Finland circumcision is a very controversial issue. Many doctors feel that cutting young boys before they can have any say to it themselves is equivalent to allowing the mutilation of young girls (i.e. circumcision for girls). Of course the opinions vary greatly but most of the finnish men are uncut.

I say both America AND Europe should both try to be more like Asia. Yes, I said Asia.

Hell, if we're gonna generalize, why not take it to the max?

Yep, monarchies have to be earned through centuries of inbreeding, fratricide, country-swapping and naked plunder. The US could only import a King at this stage and that would mean heads exploding, nationwide.

The usual approach is to import someone from Germany. Monarchies from Russia, all over the Balkan to UK are or were very happy with their German royalties. Luckily we have boarders who prepare for this by bearing a royal name on the board, and in real life

I am feeling generous, so here is a NSFW WHO link about circumcision (mainly because of a somewhat gratuituous Egyptian wall painting on the first page and some graphic pictures of circs too). Figure 4 in the PDF has a nice map of worldwide prevalences. Europe and wide swaths of Asia are below 20% prevalence, as are South America and Mexico (bit of a surprise). USA, Canada and Australia are 20-80% prevalence, and the Middle East above 80%. There are tables that include numbers for individual countries too.

I leave the moral and aesthetic implications of this data to the experts.

Nooooo!!!! Dammit, EU! *shakes fist* Are you telling me that Europe is becoming Californian!?!

Please tell me I'm right about the foreskin thing. Europe still skews uncut*, no?

*this does not indicate a personal preference, just a personal observation.

I'm not sure about an EU ban in public buildings- does that mean government buildings? There may well be a smoking ban in government buildings, but there is not an EU smoking ban in bars and restaurants. Bar/restaurants smoking bans within Europe vary just as they do within American states and cities....some European countries have strict bans, others have partial bans, while some other basically have no form of a ban at all.

OT: Thor, if I were to visit Lviv, would I be better off speaking Polish or English?

Ukrainian or Russian, if you know some, would probably be the best. Mostly seniors speak Polish there now, like my grandma for instance. But Ukrainian dialect spoken in Western Ukraine has many same and similar words with Polish so you could probably make yourself understood with some simple Polish phrases (Djen Dobri, Djenkuyu :) ). Lviv gets a lot of tourists from Western Europe, America and Canada so you could probably try English at many public places.

I am feeling generous, so here is a NSFW WHO link about circumcision (mainly because of a somewhat gratuituous Egyptian wall painting on the first page and some graphic pictures of circs too). Figure 4 in the PDF has a nice map of worldwide prevalences. Europe and wide swaths of Asia are below 20% prevalence, as are South America and Mexico (bit of a surprise). USA, Canada and Australia are 20-80% prevalence, and the Middle East above 80%. There are tables that include numbers for individual countries too.

I leave the moral and aesthetic implications of this data to the experts.

I still think it's a barbaric practice. No offense :)

Asian women are less hirsute than your hairy foreign devil Caucasoid females. Thus we are the master race(s).

I must agree. Hot Japanese women are like kryptonite to me. And no other women have such effect.

I think both the USA and Europe should be more like Antartica. All the people can sod off and you can import a few million penguins. Job done.

Is this even factually based? Ive of course heard the stereotype, but i banged a well kept french girl so anecdotally they are the same if not better then their american counterparts.

I can back up this anecdote. Although I'm guessing it wasn't the same girl :unsure:

Also, anecdotally, i lack the sexual competency of the a typical french guy.

That's fucking cold. Dude, you are either totally selling yourself short or you really pissed that girl off somehow. ;)

You just wait till Eurabia arrives with its desert sands and Koran sanctified circumcisions.

BUT AT WHAT COST?

Oh, that is the cost. Sorry.

Look people, the perfect solution is to have SOMEONE ELSE'S Monarchy.

They've got him at the moment. Prince Harry is wandering around New York making girls swoon and manfully shaking hands with veterens (it's okay because he's been to Afghanistan). I'm sure we could loan him to the USA on a time-share basis with Australia, who apparently want to borrow him for some occasions as his drunken rugby-worshipping antics appeal to them for some reason.

Let's face it, there are just too much differences between the American way of life and the European way of life whatever that might be) to make comparison fruitful (unlike comparison between the American and the Latin American/African/Asian way of life).

Another threat mentioned the American "work ethics". Americans on average work more than almost anyone else, but the reason for this is of course that they aren't very good at what they do. Looking at labour productivity (GDP per work hour), the Americans are even performing worse than the stoned out Dutch.

OW! So glad I don't remember this.

Intersting link though, Cyr.

It's actually because we are trying so hard to impress the boss by coming in early and staying late. In actuality, it's hours of Board-surfing and internet shopping, while doing the "face time" thing at the office.

I was actually told in my annual review that I needed to increase my face time. It "looked bad" to leave at 5:30.

I would love a threadjack on this subject. Too bad you can't submit a 'management review' which tells them they place too much emphasis on the appearance of work rather than the substance.

My old shop guy actually lives at the office (he has a broken down motor home in the parking lot) and I would bet he doesn't do more than 10 hours of work in a week.

I would love a threadjack on this subject. Too bad you can't submit a 'management review' which tells them they place too much emphasis on the appearance of work rather than the substance.

Heh, no doubt. I see this all the time. Who do you turn to when management doesn't know wtf they are talking about?

Archived