A Storm of Stars: Casting HBO's "Game of Thrones"

JaimesSeveredHand

We posted our AGOT dream cast here: http://tvcasualties.com/?p=216

So bring it. We're ready for venomous comments, outrage, death threats, comparisons to brutal dictators, etc.

Isn't Daenerys like 12 or 13 in the first book? How are you going to have her played by someone who is almost 30? Same with your picks for Joffrey and Sansa.

Ridiculous choices aside, I'm pretty sure this post is just spam to get people to go to your website and you will never post again, so I don't know why I bothered to reply.

Isn't Daenerys like 12 or 13 in the first book? How are you going to have her played by someone who is almost 30? Same with your picks for Joffrey and Sansa.

Ridiculous choices aside, I'm pretty sure this post is just spam to get people to go to your website and you will never post again, so I don't know why I bothered to reply.

Well, WiC linked to them, and it's on-topic.

Yeah, everyone criticizes the age aspect, but I say: People play younger all of the time on TV. Kristen Bell was playing a high school kid within the past 2 or 3 years. I'd be surprised if the actress cast to play Dany is under 18, especially if they plan to include the sex scenes and such. Beyond that, I'm really not aware of any 12 year old actresses with the talent to pull it off. There may be some out there. I have to come up with cast choices of the people I'm familiar with, and I opted to go with talent over superficial stuff like age in some cases and looks (to some degree) in other cases.

Yeah, everyone criticizes the age aspect, but I say: People play younger all of the time on TV. Kristen Bell was playing a high school kid within the past 2 or 3 years. I'd be surprised if the actress cast to play Dany is under 18, especially if they plan to include the sex scenes and such. Beyond that, I'm really not aware of any 12 year old actresses with the talent to pull it off. There may be some out there. I have to come up with cast choices of the people I'm familiar with, and I opted to go with talent over superficial stuff like age in some cases and looks (to some degree) in other cases.

You have picked an actress for Arya, for example, who will be 20 by the time the show is filmed. Age-wise, that is going too far, I think. If you pick someone, say, 13/14/15 to play an 11 year old, I could see that. A 20 year old cannot pull off playing an 11 year old by any stretch of the imagination. And Arya has already been aged up - she's nine in the books. Someone who looks 20 taking that role basically ruins the impact of Arya's character arc.

In some case, age doesn't matter, but where the children in particular are concerned, I think it does. They need to at least be able to look like they could be the age they're meant to be.

Kristen Bell for Daenerys? You have to be joking. She may have played Veronica Mars a while ago but VM isn't Daenerys by any stretch. Carey Mulligan (in the 'Blink' Dr Who episode) would be better, I would say.

Simon Woods in any role would be great, but Max Pirkis is too old. Otherwise he'd be perfect.

I wanted Olivia Williams for Catelyn a while ago and I still do.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH....

Oh wait... I need to be constructive.

There's a big no on a lot of the actors. If an actor was not good enough to be featured in Twilight, I do not want him in this show. Sansa and Arya are both ridiculously older than the characters in the book. Your Jaime and Cersei look nothing alike, but I could waive that. I really don't like the look of Titus Welliver for Stannis, although I'll admit that's a personal thing and probably not a real criticism. You have to realize also that it's been a few years since Rome ended, and Max Pirkis is probably too old for Joffrey. If he isn't, I would actually want him as Joffrey and Simon Woods, who you put as Viserys, as Jaime. Although he would probably be a good Viserys. You have to realize that Tom Felton is part of the reason Draco Malfoy is such a popular character amongst Harry Potter fans. He would make Theon too likable. The only character vile enough to repulse the inevitable fangirls would be Joffrey, and he's too young. Maybe as Vargo Hoat. The guy you picked as The Mountain may have a terrifying chin, but what else can he do for the role? I would rather a big scary black guy, however contrary that may be to the book. And Sandor is younger than Ned, I think. Why is he made as older?

Some of the problems I've mentioned appear in the other dream casting you mentioned.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH....

Oh wait... I need to be constructive.

There's a big no on a lot of the actors. If an actor was not good enough to be featured in Twilight, I do not want him in this show. Sansa and Arya are both ridiculously older than the characters in the book. Your Jaime and Cersei look nothing alike, but I could waive that. I really don't like the look of Titus Welliver for Stannis, although I'll admit that's a personal thing and probably not a real criticism. You have to realize also that it's been a few years since Rome ended, and Max Pirkis is probably too old for Joffrey. If he isn't, I would actually want him as Joffrey and Simon Woods, who you put as Viserys, as Jaime. Although he would probably be a good Viserys. You have to realize that Tom Felton is part of the reason Draco Malfoy is such a popular character amongst Harry Potter fans. He would make Theon too likable. The only character vile enough to repulse the inevitable fangirls would be Joffrey, and he's too young. Maybe as Vargo Hoat. The guy you picked as The Mountain may have a terrifying chin, but what else can he do for the role? I would rather a big scary black guy, however contrary that may be to the book. And Sandor is younger than Ned, I think. Why is he made as older?

Some of the problems I've mentioned appear in the other dream casting you mentioned.

The more I think about it, Simon Woods as Jaime seems like a really good idea.

Says the guy with one post.

We should be excited seeing general TV news blogs getting into the Thrones casting speculation game. I hope to see many more of these lists from other entertainment blogs, it means that the buzz for this show is continuing to grow. And that is a good thing.

Says the guy with one post.

Ha.

I quite like the idea of Max Pirkis playing Joff, providing he still looks young enough. Dude played cold-hearted snob kid very well as Octavian. If he is too old for Joff, he can always play Viserys.

I quite like the idea of Max Pirkis playing Joff, providing he still looks young enough. Dude played cold-hearted snob kid very well as Octavian. If he is too old for Joff, he can always play Viserys.

We originally had Pirkis as Viserys actually. We had to compromise and go slightly older with several roles. Like I said, we don't know enough actors in the 12-16 range, so Pirkis got slid into the Joffrey slot and Simon Woods inserted into the Viserys slot. It would be pretty cool if either of those two made the show.

We actually considered Woods for Jaime as well but felt he was a little too slight - kind of a small build and listed at 5'11". Another popular choice for Jaime seems to be Paul Bettany, whom I think looks like a bigger (6'3") and slightly meaner Simon Woods. He could work.

Some of these choices arent too bad, but as mentioned arya, dany, and the Cleganes are all horrible. Particularly Sandor.

Edit: Theon isnt particularly manly. He is looked down upon by most of his ironborn fellows, and ridiculed by his father and sister for looking like a 'whore'. He comes off as a young man trying to fit in with his hefty ironborn brothers, without ever really managing it.

I will keep repeating it until I'm blue in the face. Kevin McKidd is Jaime Lannister, the guy was born to play the Kingslayer. Besides, I don't trust someone like Erwin to play one of the most significant characters in the series.

The Hound is very tough to cast, but you botched him up pretty bad. The Hound isn't supposed to be in his fifties. I would have loved Ray Stevenson to play him, but I fear he is too old.

Your Renly isn't enough of a pretty boy. Stannis is just wrong.

I don't have a problem with you aging the actors up. I would sacrifice age for acting ability in a second. Kristen Bell would be a fantastic Dany, even though I doubt HBO could get her. Game of Thrones is supposed to be mostly a character drama. If you can't get actors who would do those characters justice, then the show isn't going to last. If you can get an actors or actress who nails the role, then age should not be an issue if it isn't an absurd age difference like Clancy Brown.

Cersei, Robert, Tywin, Viserys, Lysa, and Illyn Payne are very well casted.

I agree that most of the characters need to be aged up. But you gotta remember that the Sandor/Sansa tension has to make sense. To cast a girl in her teens as Sansa and then to cast Clancy Brown, in his fifties, as Sandor, takes the whole relationship out of context and actually makes it way creepy. Most of the list I can live with.

Archived