The Healthy Weight and Eating Thread

Xray the Enforcer

Continue with the discussion of healthy eating choices.

Went to the farmer's market today and bought two kinds of leafy greens (chicory, vitamin green mizuna), plus smoked bluefish, fresh oregano and lemon thyme. And some flowers, but I don't plan on eating those. ;)

Continue with the discussion of healthy eating choices.

Went to the farmer's market today and bought two kinds of leafy greens (chicory, vitamin green mizuna), plus smoked bluefish, fresh oregano and lemon thyme. And some flowers, but I don't plan on eating those. ;)

I made a dal today and fought the trauma of my last attempt when the pot ended up charred. Thanks for the tip in the other thread, that leafy greens can be put in, even though, I didn't do it this time, it's good to know. I also have chicory in stock for salad tomorrow or on Monday.

I also created an interesting spreading mixed of two teaspoons of tahin (sesame mus) and half a teaspoon of honey. It tastes nice on whole grain bread of all kinds, especially if the slices are toasted.

dietary victory #1: last night in the taxi, a customer brought half a pepperoni pizza in with him. despite being peckishly hungry, despite it being one of my favorite danger foods, and despite it being free; when he offered me some, I said "no." When he offered again, I said "NO!!" perhaps a little too forcefully. A little later I picked up a small bag of almonds at a gas station. Opening the door with a slice of pizza can lead to all sorts of bad things. Next on the menu surely would have been a couple jumbo jacks and curly fries.

dietary victory #2: even though I cooked two chicken breasts wrapped in bacon doesn't mean I ate two chicken breasts wrapped in bacon. it's more amusing to me to see the cat peck away at it for the next two hours. Yes, I am aware a sane person would wrap in tinfoil and consume later. Key words here being 'sane person.'

Good work Ztem!

Went to the doctor's, they eyeballed my weight a little. Weighing in at 142 pounds at 26 weeks and change; according to them I started off at 116. Sigh.

Made broccolini with garlic and shallots last night (I am forever a shallot convert now) and teriyaki chicken, which has no sugar in it, only soy sauce and mirin. Yesterday's food also consisted of the usual oatmeal, eggs, whole wheat bread, but no yogurt. Been a little dairy-heavy lately so I backed off on it for a little while.

Looking forward to cooking more dark leafy greens tonight. :D I have some Chinese broccoli ready to go!

I have a guideline when it comes to sweet stuff, cakes, soda and so on. I eat them only when someone else has paid for them. I have found that this rule of thumb is good for my diet and wallet both, and may work as a kind of safety valve.

Eating an Asian pear as I type. This one's a bit more tart than yesterday's. Chataya, if you guys can get to the DeKalb farmer's market there are a ton of fish choices there, and they're cheaper than Whole Paycheck.

Now, to pass the time between now and 6:27 - post time!

Had another victory at the scale this week - down 3.2 lbs, which is shocking to me, seeing as how I worked overnight (9PM to 7AM) from last Thursday to Wednesday night, and my schedule (eating and all) has been all out of whack.

I didn't pack my lunch all week (lunch at 2AM, mind you), but tried to make healthy choices all week, allowing myself the occasional indulgence (frosted sugar cookie, I'm looking at you!)..as well as a small Watermelon Slush Puppie a night (yeah, I know...helllllo HFCS). I had to deliver meds to the entire hospital for my shift each night, so I clocked in a little over 6 miles of walking a night. (I wear a WW pedometer, which clocks my earned Activity Points as well as steps, so I earned an additional 4-6 points a day thanks to my walking.) It all paid off, although I was shocked as hell.

I'm down a total of 25.8lbs (seriously) in 12 weeks. I now weigh less (by about 12 lbs) than I did at LA Con, when I last saw most of you.

Actually, I weigh less now than I did my first Christmas I spent with Kris - right after I got preggo with Mav, I saw pics of me taken that holiday and couldn't believe how skinny I was then. I would venture a guess and say I carry my weight much differently now (post baby and all), but I'm feeling excellent about myself. I think I'm even going clothes shopping tomorrow - I'm down another size...making me 2 sizes smaller than I was last summer!

Keep up the good work, everyone. :) I'm reading the thread, even if I'm not an active participant.

I had some pop tarts with sprinkles on it and store brand Honey Nut Cheerios for breakfast, some Ritz crackers and sausage for a snack, and two frozen pizzas for dinner.

This is actually pretty healthy for me. I usually have hot dogs for breakfast (my plans for tomorrow, with Ritz being replaced by two cans of hot chili for a snack, and a large Little Caesar pizza for dinner - what can I say, I like pizza).

It bothers me when people obsess over what they eat. Yes, I understand you don't want to endure health complications or die early on, or you have a self-image problem. But depriving yourself of the most delicious food seems a torture just as bad, only different.

Ah well. La vida de tu es la vida de tu.

We're hardly depriving ourselves. Would you rather have a pop tart or homemade devil's food cake made with organic ingredients and whole wheat flour?

Ok, I know you might rather have the pop tart, but I think pop tarts and their ilk are just gross. And hot dogs are just disgusting, for so many reasons.

Clearly you are deprived, if you are in such a state of denial. :o

Edit: Okay, the food you linked to looks very scrumptious, but I've learned long ago that when it comes to healthy food, you can't judge a healthy cook as a decent food lover. I was once served the most delicious looking hamburger, and then croaked when I discovered to my horror that it was tofu.

I think I ate a whole week's supply of calories last night :(

Kit and I were checking out a wedding venue, and mum stupidly told them we were coming..so instead of the three plates we ordered, we got 7...

Imagine profiteroles filled with foie gras mousse with a caramelised glaze ( kind of like a toffee apple) on top and some kind of sweet vergetable marmalade..and that was just the entree.

They brought us two desserts. Bastards.

Ah well. It was one of the best meals I ever ate, and most of the food was organic from their own gardens, so it was kind of worth it. Back on les regime today.

It bothers me when people obsess over what they eat. Yes, I understand you don't want to endure health complications or die early on, or you have a self-image problem. But depriving yourself of the most delicious food seems a torture just as bad, only different.

If what we're talking about is a healthy lifestyle, it really shouldn't be about deprivation. Starving has similar negative effects (not the same kind of effect, but the effects will be there to the same extent) on the body as binge eating, and can often result in worse complications. But there are so many factors to consider when one tries to define healthy eating - it varies greatly from person to person. For example, I'm sure your diet works fine for you, as long as there is some variation to it.

Everyone knows that you don't have to deprive yourself of everything you like 24/7 when you change your diet.

As long as people don't try to push their exact health regiment on to me, I'm fine with it. I ask for advice and I usually get many good answers.

I think I ate a whole week's supply of calories last night :(

Kit and I were checking out a wedding venue, and mum stupidly told them we were coming..so instead of the three plates we ordered, we got 7...

Imagine profiteroles filled with foie gras mousse with a caramelised glaze ( kind of like a toffee apple) on top and some kind of sweet vergetable marmalade..and that was just the entree.

They brought us two desserts. Bastards.

Ah well. It was one of the best meals I ever ate, and most of the food was organic from their own gardens, so it was kind of worth it. Back on les regime today.

That place has my vote.

I've had a few set backs. Had to make potato salad for the scout picnic, which meant eating some, cause you never eat things if the person who brought it won't eat it.

Also had a Coke. :( It wasn't that great, way too sweet, but I still drank it.

Still lost a little weight last week. Down to 193 even. That's 24 pounds total since I started in April. Would have been better if I had been working out too. :(

Good job Ztem, Lany, and Mya. Chats, that coffee cake looks really good. I might try it with raspberries, I'm not a big fan of cranberries. Where do you buy your whole wheat flour? And LOON, whole wheat pasta? That is the one whole wheat product that I struggle with.

I'm not quite doing the MoR, but I am making some new changes. The biggest is a BIG cutback on my drinking. I'm sick of it, I haven't been sleeping well, and I know that I'm getting way to many excess calories. So, Friday I started and slept so much better over the weekend and feel better. I'm going to stick with it, even though my husband is not on board yet. He will be though, he resisted eating healthy at first, but he is doing much better now. I'm not saying that I cannot have a drink, I'm just going to focus on doing other things than drink. Like taking the dog to the fenced dog park. I have to drive there, so I can't drink.

Unfortunately my monthly bloat is starting. :angry:

Archived