Cricket VI

Stubby

Yes, Wednesday 8th it is. What's this sudden fascination with starting Tests on a Wednesday? The Lords Test starts on a Thursday, at least...

Yeah I don't understand why they are introducing these Wednesday starts, I don't see any benefits and you just run risk of not having significant play on the Sunday.

Slighly strange decision by the selectors tp ignore Harmison in favour of Onions. I just don't see anything in Onions. Of course, it's not like he's going to play anyway. Fingers crossed.

I'd probably have considered Sidebottom ahead of Onions as well, since he did look like he was returning to form in the World 20/20, and I'd say he might trouble the Australian batsmen if the ball was swinging. Onions did bowl well against the West Indies, but I don't see him really troubling the Autstralian top order. I wonder if Harmison is going to be recalled later in the series, it sounds like the Cardiff pitch is likely to be slow which wouldn't suit Harmison's bowling.

Yeah I don't understand why they are introducing these Wednesday starts, I don't see any benefits and you just run risk of not having significant play on the Sunday.

There's also a risk of not even having play on the Saturday. I don't really understand it either, the only thing I wonder is if it is to give an extra day's rest for the players before the next test (which starts on the Thursday after the first test ends).

Bye bye Brett

Looks like he'll miss the second Test too.

I wonder who will replace him? I'm guessing Watson is still injured (that's usually a safe assumption) so it would be either Hauritz, Hilfenhaus or Andrew McDonald. Somehow I don't think the England batsmen are going to mind too much if they're facing one of those three rather than Brett Lee ;)

I'm desperately fighting against totally unwarranted optimism.

Don't give in to the seductive optimism... remember 2006/7. And 2002/3. And 2001, 1997, 1989. Basically any year that isn't 2005 (although I suppose you could remember the Pakistan tour that year as well).

A few weeks ago I would've said it was a blow but sustainable seeing as Lee's been out of the team for the past year anyway. As it is, he looked like he was in good form with the reverse swing happening so this is a big blow, not to mention the added little extras like his batting at No. 9 that would have been quite handy. I tell you, the selectors will rue that they picked Watson, as it seems that Watson has made his injury curse contagious and infected the squad.

I'm pretty sure it'll be Hauritz who benefits. Hilfy didn't get a run in the last game, while Hauritz's figures were at least tidy in the last innings, and it's supposedly a dusty, turning track. Still, an attack of Johnson, Clark, Siddle and Hauritz is hardly as intimidating as the last Ashes attack of McGrath, Lee, Clark and Warne.

I expect a lot of the load will rest on the one constant in those two attacks - Stuart Clark. Everyone talks about Mitchell Johnson as the strike bowler and impact player, but I expect Stuart Clark to be the best bowler on this Ashes tour. Even before Lee went down with injury, I would have said Clark was the most indispensable bowler in the Australian lineup. In the tour matches he's showed he's stilll quite capable, and he had the most consistently economical figures. He's an accurate seam bowler who can extract some bounce. Aside from McGrath's success in English conditions, the fact that this style crops up so often in the English domestic game is a hint that it's probably the most effective style for the English pitches.

Hereward...optimism is not unwarranted. ;) If you take away a healthy Lee from Australia and add a healthy Flintoff to England, I think you may find the odds have tilted slightly in your favour. If England stays fit (Pietersen and Flintoff in particular) I think you'll find that you have the superior team on paper when home ground advantage is taken into account, and with Lee's withdrawal, the better bowling attack. Australia in particular has a lot of unknowns/unpredictables in the lineup - Hughes, Hauritz, Siddle.

Do not tempt me with your foul optimism. I remember 1989. The Australian squad was described as the worst ever to tour England, I had tickets and I dragged along a mate from the Australian Embassy in Germany. God, I've never been so depressed in my life. The worst day, and there were a Hell of a lot to choose from, was the first day at Trent Bridge. I remember distinctly that they were at one point 329-0.

PS Even with Lee we had a better bowling attack, IMO. It's the batsmen who worry me.

I remember distinctly that they were at one point 329-0.

Was that Marsh and Boon? Or was Taylor involved somewhow?

Looking foward to tonight. I will get home from work about an hour into the first session. It will be Radio for the first bit (in the car) and then it will be live and largely ad-free on Pay TV.

I don't care what the Aussie selectors end up doing as long as the Clown doesn't get a game.

I think the one Hereward is referring to was Taylor and Marsh...although I could be wrong.

And you're probably right...even with Lee you might've had the better attack. Although I'd argue that if Lee and Clark had proved themselves to be fully fit and in form, our three pacemen would match up to your three. The only problem is that we play a nonexistent spinner.

And I'm not sure I'd call our batting any better. Hughes is unknown; Hussey (and to a lesser extent Ponting) haven't been setting the world on fire lately. The England lineup might be a little thinner (with Flintoff at 6) but your openers are just as good if not better than ours, Bopara is in good touch, Pietersen is amongst the top batsmen in the world, Prior is a strong bat from the wicketkeeping position and Broad offers some tailend depth.

I feel Australia has a lot more uncertainty than England. We haven't played Test cricket for a while, we have potentially three guys (Hughes, Hauritz, Siddle) who have only come into the Test side in the last few months.

If only the First Test were at Lords then I would be a little more confident. ;)

So soon! Can't wait for it to start.

Yes, it was Taylor and Marsh. They eventually declared at 600 and something for 6.

We're nearly off. God I wish this was on terrestrial TV so I could watch it at work. I've taken a day's leave to watch the first day, but I will miss much of the rest. :(

I think Flintoff will bat at 7, by the way.

We're nearly off. God I wish this was on terrestrial TV so I could watch it at work. I've taken a day's leave to watch the first day, but I will miss much of the rest. :(

Was the 2005 Ashes series the last one on terrestrial? I remember it being about the time I stopped watching much cricket, and that's probably why.

Stupid shortsighted ECB.

Archived