Cricket VI

Stubby

Today is the big day! Which online venue do y'all like the most for the play-by-play? There is no way in hell I'll be able to watch the matches, but I'd like to idly follow along...

Martha,

Try:

Cricinfo for live updated ball-by-ball scorecard and commentary

Guardian for over-by-over commentary and unrivalled snark and piss-taking and the occasional moment of superb analysis (after 2005, the Guardian actually published a book of its OBO coverage of the 2005 Ashes, including the stunningly prescient comment during the third day of Edgbaston that it was ‘the defining day of Flintoff’s career’)

The picked Hilfenhaus over Clarke??? AND THEY PICKED MCDONALD?????

WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK SELECTORS?

Rest easy Brady, the clown didn't get a game. :thumbsup:

Strauss dismissal looked ugly, for him. Johnson hadn't really bowled with any authority up until then. Siddle has some fire in the belly, though.

:lol:

The lunchtime 'experts' on Fox Sports down here have been analysing:

The beer in the grandstands

Whether this is a bit of a home game for Australia given that its not actually in England

Barmy Army songs

When they got back to the cricket, the host dude says to Mark Waugh and Damien Fleming: 'How do we rate the bowling attack so far'? Flemo says: "We do this every test match...'

Siddle's a workhorse, but I rate Johnson as the better bowler in the Australian attack.

I have no access to any live action of the Ashes which is depressing. Just have to rely on the radio and the BBC Guardian updates to keep me entertained, thanks for that link there Vestrit. :thumbsup:

And the Ashes has begun...woohoo!

Haven't posted in the last couple of hours because I was at a friend's place watching the action. Now it's 10:40pm, I'm back home, and ready to settle into four hours or so of cricket. ;)

First of all...WTF? Clark is discarded in place of Hilfy? I mean, it looks to have gone well so far with Hilfenhaus getting 1/17 off 10, but really...I thought it was a no-brainer decision. Clark was the most economical of the bowlers in the tour matches, Hilfenhaus didn't even get a second game in. I thought it must have been a nagging injury or something but if he's 12th man, I assume they think Clark must be ok to field, so I don't know what it is.

England should be a bit disappointed - the Australian bowling wasn't pretty. Sure, there were a few good balls in there (particularly some nice short bowling from Siddle) but there were lots of bad balls mixed in there. Mind you, Pietersen is still there and I'm wary of what he can do (especially in partnership with Collingwood...they made a massive stand back in Australia), especially once Hauritz gets a bowl.

Hauritz is actually bowling pretty well. Hilfenhaus is actually swinging it, which is presumably why they dropped Clark. Now we have a very slow rebuilding partnership. I'm happy to be bored for another few hours though.

Is it just me, or have the Aussies been a bit too defensive after lunch? They went into lunch in a great position, and you'd think they'd be really applying some pressure now. But it doesn't seem to have happened at all.

Yeah, not much has happened. While England haven't been scoring quickly, Australia don't really look like taking a wicket. I expect Pietersen to build a good score out of this.

Had a look at that Pakistani / Sri Lanka scorecard...a real shame Pakistan couldn't come out with the win. It would have been a fairytale win (especially with Yousuf getting his century upon return).

Aren't you American Xray?, you must be the only American I've ever encountered who is interested in cricket. :)

:lol:

There are days when I'm pretty sure I'm the only native-born American (with no single-generation-removed cultural or familial ties to Test-playing nations) to idly follow cricket as well. We can blame this thread -- the ne'er-do-wells herein convinced Fursuit Nation to join the 2007 WC fantasy league, where I came in dead fucking last. :lol:

Pietersen looks injured. Sky reckon his achilles may have gone again.

Don't think it's affecting him too much. Australia are letting the game drift. Bowling England out cheaply in the first innings is crucial, the game's only going to get tougher with a flat, low, turning track and England having all the weapons with two spinners.

Archived