Cricket VI

Stubby

Is it wrong of me when I was watching the highlights last night, that everytime I saw Siddle bowl I thought, man he looks like a less chunky Rooney.

Yeah, Siddle's no oil painting. Along with Phil Waugh I'd have to rate him as one of the ugliest Australian sportsmen going around...

Very bad morning for Australia. Runs coming at a very fast clip, heaps of turn for Hauritz, Hilfenhaus just got another extremely close LBW turned down. England will easily get 400, I can't see Australia making a bigger score against England's attack.

This is an unmitigated disaster!

Oh well, looked ahead to the forecast, apparently rain on Saturday. Taking a draw from this match might not be a bad idea, the next match is Lords...

To broadcast ahead, one wonders how Monty will do on this pitch. It's been said that when the conditions are in his favour and he's expected to perform well, he doesn't necessarily do well under the pressure. I may be wrong (and I haven't looked it up) but I seem to remember there being an article somewhere that showed he didn't do well at traditional turning venues (Old Trafford, Sydney, maybe some in India).

I seem to remember there being an article somewhere that showed he didn't do well at traditional turning venues (Old Trafford, Sydney, maybe some in India).

He's got a pretty good record at Old Trafford.

I, too, saw John Howard in the crowd. My immediate thought was that he was probably there still at our (taxpayers') expense as I'm sure former PMs get lots of travel perks.

Bright start from Hughes but he's a bit of an edgy character and always looks like he could give a chance. They both have unique batting styles and the style of Hughes' innings reminds me of Sourav Ganguly. Both Hughes and Ganguly like flaying things through point on the offside, and both look jumpy when the ball is pitched straight. And they both always look like they were just as likely to nick a ball as hit a boundary. ;)

Got to love the attitude from Hughes (mainly) and Katich there.

Australia have had a shite morning and had a difficult little period to negotiate there.

So those two come out and go straight onto the counter-attack. Great stuff and very Australian!

Hughes batted well but it was Broad's bad bowling that also allowed Australia to get off to a good start. The Aussie presenters over here were ripping into Broad in the lunch break for wasting the new ball.

I find the coverage rather amusing. You have the Sky news team which is full of Englishmen (Atherton, Hussain, Botham, Bumble) doing the play-by-play commentary, and back here in Australia we have the studio presenters as a lineup of partisan Aussies (MacGill, Craig Matthews, Damien Martyn). The Aussie studio presenters aren't even pretending to be fair. ;) Sky has been reasonably fair, I think.

Hughes batted well but it was Broad's bad bowling that also allowed Australia to get off to a good start. The Aussie presenters over here were ripping into Broad in the lunch break for wasting the new ball.

I find the coverage rather amusing. You have the Sky news team which is full of Englishmen (Atherton, Hussain, Botham, Bumble) doing the play-by-play commentary, and back here in Australia we have the studio presenters as a lineup of partisan Aussies (MacGill, Craig Matthews, Damien Martyn). The Aussie studio presenters aren't even pretending to be fair. ;) Sky has been reasonably fair, I think.

Heh, TMS is jizzing all over Broad and Flintoff as we speak. Might go over to Sky, this is just nauseating...

No fair, why do England get a long tail now?

Because we've had to spend the last however many years carrying batting legends such as Panesar, Harmison and to a lesser extent Anderson. It's about time our number 9 had a bit of batting nous.

Also, I'm loving this Guardian coverage. Their description of Hughes is awesome, and epitomises English pessimism, here's a snippet:

He makes a nonsense of everything else: the textbook, the bowlers, the match situation. Hughes bats in his own bubble, which demands the simplest practice: see the ball and hit it. He might be a deluxe Adam Gilchrist. Just think about that. A deluxe Adam Gilchrist.

England did not bowl well, and I think they erred by opening the bowling with Stuart Broad rather than Andrew Flintoff, but Hughes was murderous against anything offering the merest hint of width, as the graphic to your left demonstrates. He is the Candyman. He is Keyser Soze. He is Michael Myers. He is those chavs who mug Mark Corrigan in the subway. He is also quite exhilarating to watch. He is our favourite worst nightmare.

Because we've had to spend the last however many years carrying batting legends such as Panesar, Harmison and to a lesser extent Anderson. It's about time our number 9 had a bit of batting nous.

Also, I'm loving this Guardian coverage. Their description of Hughes is awesome, and epitomises English pessimism, here's a snippet:

Hey, you're selling Sahj Mahmood and Ashley Giles short there!

Interesting contrast between Hughes and Katich. Katich is always trying to get across and flick things to the onside, while Hughes is always trying to make room to crash stuff through the offside.

This innings was always going to be the more interesting one to observe (apologies to England's batting, which was actually quite enterprising especially towards the end). Australia's bowling versus England's batting was basically matching up the weaker disciplines of each side. Now with Australia's batting versus England's bowling you have strength versus strength. I certainly hope Ponting, Hussey, Clark and co. are up to it.

Well, there goes Hughes, and there goes Flintoff with his overdone God-like celebrations. I admire the guy as a cricketer, but it seems that four years haven't exactly improved his humility. ;)

Swann is bowling very tidily here. Now that I'm seeing him play live so to speak, whereas before I had mostly scorecards to go on, I can see he's quite a handy cricketer. He has some robust batting and quite a few scoring shots, he's a tidy spinner with excellent control (apart from his wayward early couple of overs before lunch) and he changes his pace slightly from ball to ball. His deliveries have a nice shape to them. You can often tell the difference between a part-time offie (of which there are plenty) and a frontline spinner by their flight and Swann's is good.

Archived