Cricket VI

Stubby

Bloody hell, didn't see that coming

I can see where he's coming from, the constant injuries could ruin his life, but I don't think the timing is helpful.

What Slick said

I clicked on the link thinking the story would say that it was effective immediately.

Maybe he's announced it now to garner some 'do it for Freddie!' enthusiasm from his team mates?

Much as I'd like to be an Aussie selector, Vestrit, I much prefer to criticise from the backbenches with no responsibility. ;)

Flintoff's retirement announcement was initially surprising, but after I think about it, it was going to be coming sooner or later. It might be quite relaxing for him; he was always going to give 110% in this Ashes series, but knowing that he's not going to be doing this again means he will perform without any sort of niggling restraint in the back of his mind. I think it's probably a good thing for England insofar as it's probably a good thing for Flintoff himself. Much has been made of the fact that he hasn't scored a century or taken a 5-for since the 2005 Ashes four years ago, but I don't think he really needs to do that to win games for England, and even if he doesn't do either of those this series, I'm sure he will play a big part nevertheless.

I really want Stuart Clark to play at Lords. I'm almost dead certain he'd do well there. Johnson's troubles in the First Test worry me a bit. While Hilfenhaus, Hauritz, and to a lesser extent Siddle, bowled quite well in the First Test, if Johnson is off his game, there is no consistent 'banker' in the bowling attack. Conceivably all four of them could have an off day at once, which would spell disaster. With Stuart Clark you know what you're going to get; excellent control, a good economy rate and a couple of wickets or so per innings.

The exact opposite is true of England...they need an edge. Still, I'd be tempted to make two changes; Harmison for Panesar and Onions for Broad. It weakens the batting lineup, but Swann can more than hold his own at 8, and Anderson seemed ok batting in the First Test.

hauritz bowled well in the first test? :|

Relative to Panesar and Swann, his performance was commendable.

However, Australia's spin troubles aren't over by any stretch of the imagination. Hauritz has a long way to go - and even if he does progress he will be more in the league of Dan Vettori rather than a true game-breaker like Saqlain, Harbhajan, Murali or Mendis.

Saqlain and Harbhajan are very special finger spinners, Pax. I don't think anybody expects Hauritz to reach that level - ever. If he was going to be that kind of special, we'd all have known about it when he first hit the Test scene years ago. The best he could hope for is to be named in the same breath as Vettori, who is the best of the rest. One Test, though, does not maketh the man. I expect Hauritz's effectiveness to be severely compromised in the Lord's Test.

Now watch him get a 5 for or something ridiculous.

Much as I'd like to be an Aussie selector, Vestrit, I much prefer to criticise from the backbenches with no responsibility. ;)

I'm sure Shane Watson will be glad to hear that, since I can't imagine he'd be picked much if you were selecting the team ;)

Flintoff's retirement announcement was initially surprising, but after I think about it, it was going to be coming sooner or later.

Yes, I think it was inevitable at some point, it was more of a question of when Flintoff would admit his body wasn't up to it rather than whether it was. Concentrating on the shorter forms of the game does make sense, since they shouldn't be quite so tiring.

I wonder when Simon Jones is going to admit the inevitable and officially retire? He still continues to claim he will play for England again, but much as I'd like to see that I can't see it happening.

England off to a good start here. I'm going to be a bit silly and predict a draw for this match even after onyl half an hour's been played. The wicket looks good, there apparently might be rain on Day 2, and both sides I'm sure will be able to make some big scores.

Johnson is bowling utter rubbish again. This is going to be a bad day for Australia, I think. He's served up five boundaries in four overs, not to mention several down the legside that England haven't cashed in on. He was completely all over the place on Day 5 of the First Test and he's continued it here. Even though England didn't pick him, Harmison might be bowling after all, just in a very good disguise. ;)

Johnson's meltdown is reminding me of the way Jason Gillespie's career was destroyed in the 2005 Ashes. Completely ineffectual, going for boundaries all over the place. 0/53 off 8 overs with 11 boundaries and spraying the ball all over the place. Obviously Johnson's career isn't at stake here but it certainly doesn't bode well for the Aussies this match. I knew we should've played Stuart Clark at Lords.

As for the pitch...it's not entirely the groundsman's fault, even if it does look like a belter where both sides will score 400+ quite easily. Hilfenhaus has 0/16 off 9 overs with 6 maidens and Siddle's bowling ok. Mainly Johnson's bad bowling this morning making the pitch look even better than it is. There isn't much swing or movement out there but the other bowlers seem to be able to keep the runs down.

Johnson. :stunned:

I bloody knew they'd pick Onions. :( Hope he proves me wrong, but I fear for us. I wonder if the weather will be good enough for Australia to reach 600 again.

A bit knock to Harmison's frail confidence, too. His bowling's been great this summer, and this suggests that it doesn't matter how well he bowls, he's behind Onions.

On a completely unrelated note to this match...another reason why I don't like Michael Clarke: the papers back home here noted that there was an Aussie team dinner a couple of days after the First Test and McGrath and a few others came along as well. Clarke and his girlfriend Lara Bingle were the only people of the touring party not to attend, as they wanted to have a few days to themselves in London. Bah. Spoilt little brat.

Interesting seeing Steve Waugh and Adam Gilchrist in the crowd, as well as Shane Warne commentating. No signs of McGrath though. Inwardly the three of them must be highly annoyed with this start and would want to get out there themselves. ;)

Johnson's meltdown is reminding me of the way Jason Gillespie's career was destroyed in the 2005 Ashes.

So, in essence you're predicting a test match double-ton in the near future for Johnson then? :P

Interesting seeing Steve Waugh and Adam Gilchrist in the crowd, as well as Shane Warne commentating. No signs of McGrath though. Inwardly the three of them must be highly annoyed with this start and would want to get out there themselves

Funnily enough, about an hour ago the Guardian OBO commentator said something along the lines of 'with Warne in the commentary box and those two in the crowd, Australia could put together a better team made up of the old codgers watching than those out on the field'

Australia bowling better at the start of this session, Haddin dropped a chance but it was a no-ball anyway. Hilfenhaus got tonked for a couple of fours but really he has looked like the only guy who is threatening to take a wicket today. He's bowled well and beaten the bat a few times.

This is bad for Australia also in the sense that Cook was one of those guys that Australia would have wanted to keep down this series. Cook and Bopara are the two 'soft targets' in the lineup that the Aussies would have hoped to keep quiet all series, but Cook looks on course for a century, and Bopara might be able to cash in today as well. If he ever gets in, that is. ;)

Archived