Cricket VI

Stubby

So .... how's the weather looking in London today? Y'know, just curious.

Looking good, with rain forecast after 19:00.

Anyway, should Strauss have enforced the follow-on? Given how long it took to get the last two wickets, and the run rate the England openers have got (57 from 13 overs, with Mitchell Johnson conceding 17 from 3), I think he made the right call.

No, he definitlely made the right call to not enforce the follow on. The pitch looks good, the weather looks good, and Australia only have 3 fit bowlers (even if they are giving Hauritz the ball). Johnson is bowling pies, and England will hopefully bat Hauritz off the pitch so they can concentrate on tiring the three seamers and getting easy runs from the part timers.

So having made the call to not enforce the follow on, it's now a case of when to call the declaration (assuming they don't suffer a batting collapse). I'd like to see Strauss make it at lunch, or shortly thereafter, but assuming he is his usual conservative self, I don't think he'll make it until tea, or shortly thereafter. Then again, if they keep going at the pace they are, they could round up a nice lead of 400 by lunch tomorrow, wallop a few overs for a lead of 450 and take the game to the Aussies.

Strauss will probably want a 550 lead, which means tea.

ETA: Having continued to read the Guardian coverage, it seems my maths is all wrong. They estimate an overnight lead of 578 if England bat the remaining 69 overs (from lunch) at 4.5 an over. Given they had 57 from the first 13, which is 4.3 an over, it's not a ridiculous suggestion. I guess.

Although there is now the small matter of a wicket down.

ETA2: I've realised where my maths was wrong. I kept counting the lead as being 10, not 210. That's possibly worse than just getting my maths wrong.

Well, Prior and Collingwood have made a mockery of my prediction - the lead's past 500 already. New prediction - an overnight declaration from Strauss, and two whole days in which to get the Aussies out (which may be needed, given they'll likely be rain-affected).

I've got a feeling that they will continue until either Flintoffs out or he gets a bigish score with Flintoff under strict instructions to do it fast.

I certainly don't see England batting past lunch tomorrow.

If they did it would be an abomination. What's the lead now, 530 odd? Batting aggressivley towards lunch (very possible with Flintoff, Broad and Swann all capable of hitting a ball) could add over 100 to the score, and a lead of 650 is unnecessarily mammoth.

I'd like them to declare overnight, or failing that declare after about 15 overs tomorrow. Of course, I'm off on holiday now for a couple of weeks and who knows when I'll manage to hear about things.

I'd like them to declare overnight, or failing that declare after about 15 overs tomorrow.

I think there is a good chance that they might bat one over to put the Australian openers off and then declare, as Atherton suggested.

If they did it would be an abomination. What's the lead now, 530 odd? Batting aggressivley towards lunch (very possible with Flintoff, Broad and Swann all capable of hitting a ball) could add over 100 to the score, and a lead of 650 is unnecessarily mammoth.

I agree, while a lead of 520 means that it isn't entirely impossible that Australia could chase down the target given two days without weather interruptions on what is mostly a good batting pitch, I think declaring is worth that very small risk since it significantly increases England's chances of winning.

Well, it's raining at Lords now and forecast to be showery all day. And England declared about 10 minutes ago. Two rain-affected days in which either England need 10 wickets or Australia need 522 runs; any guesses? NB It is not currently forecast to rain at all tomorrow.

Well, it's raining at Lords now and forecast to be showery all day. And England declared about 10 minutes ago. Two rain-affected days in which either England need 10 wickets or Australia need 522 runs; any guesses? NB It is not currently forecast to rain at all tomorrow.

Hoping for an England win but wouldn't be surprised to see Australia scrape a draw if they only need to bat for, say, 4 and a half sessions in total. An Australian win should be out of the question - Katich and Hussey will slow the scoring rate to a snail's pace if either of them get in. Having said that, Hughes and Haddin only know one way.

418 for 7 is apparently the highest ever run-chase at Lords.

There is play, which is a relief - the forecast had suggested it would rain till early afternoon.

ETA: Well, an early dismissal for Katich helps. :) 17-1.

Its the batsman's fault ultimately for edging the ball and getting dominated.

Nevertheless, 3 of the 4 dismissals so far would have been reversed if television replays were introduced. I believe that they are set to be permanently implemented in September.

Archived