The Acts of Caine by Matt Woodring Stover

Larry.

I'm having similar problems trying to find a copy of this in South Africa - it seems to be nigh on impossible, and I have Caine Black Knife sitting around waiting to be read after it. I'm seriously considering the ebook but I can't read ebooks. I'm stuck in limbo. Heroes Die was excellent though - one of my favourite reccs from this board.

There's a similar thread on sffworld, going back some time.

I actually got a copy from a friendly boarder there and sent it on to another fellow boarder once I was done.

Sub-optimal solution, since I like to keep all of my books especially if they come into the top 5% I read, like this one), but better than shelling out 35 bucks for a used paperback.

This is why I don't even bother with going to bookstores anymore, they tend to disappoint. Predictably, the Free Library in Philadelphia carries it. Did you check your public library system?

No such luck :(

There's a similar thread on sffworld, going back some time.

I actually got a copy from a friendly boarder there and sent it on to another fellow boarder once I was done.

Sub-optimal solution, since I like to keep all of my books especially if they come into the top 5% I read, like this one), but better than shelling out 35 bucks for a used paperback.

That's some good book karma! I checked out the sffworld thread and felt bad after seeing the author's post on not receiving any royalties from the $30 used copies...but I still can't bring myself to buy the ebook. Sitting in chair with my laptop is not the same experience as curling up with the book itself in my hands.

• 1 year later...

Outstanding books. Some of my fav book quotes come out of Caine's mouth.

ETA: it's sad to see that authors like Stover have to 'grind' by. They take on licensed work just to be able to write shit that is actually something they want to write. I wish they could make money off their pet projects instead of the licensed material. Kearney does this as well. Sad to see.

Link

I don’t know when the book will come out; it is supposedly on Del Rey’s 2011 schedule, but a lot depends on how much rewrite it’ll need (it’s fucking complicated, and I’m not sure it really makes sense), and what the workloads of my editor and the production department look like.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Blurb for Caine's Law:

SOME LAWS YOU BREAK. SOME BREAK YOU.

AND THEN THERE’S CAINE’S LAW.

From the moment Caine first appeared in the pages of Heroes Die, two things were clear. First, that Matthew Stover was one of the most gifted fantasy writers of his generation. And second, that Caine was a hero whose peers go by such names as Conan and Elric. Like them, Caine was something new: a civilized man who embraced savagery, an actor whose life was a lie, a force of destruction so potent that even gods thought twice about crossing him. Now Stover brings back his greatest creation for his most stunning performance yet.

Caine is washed up and hung out to dry, a crippled husk kept isolated and restrained by the studio that exploited him. Now they have dragged him back for one last deal. But Caine has other plans. Those plans take him back to Overworld, the alternate reality where gods are real and magic is the ultimate weapon. There, in a violent odyssey through time and space, Caine will face the demons of his past, find true love, and just possibly destroy the universe.

Hey, it’s a crappy job, but somebody’s got to do it.

The book will be released on February 28, 2012.

http://www.amazon.com/Caines-Law-MATTHEW-STOVER/dp/0345455894/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1307051133&sr=1-1

Can't wait. This thread reminds me of my days over at Wotmania and Dylanfanatic pimping the shit out of this series. It's the only reason i read it.

Oh? What was your screen name over there then? I wasn't the only one who promoted it over there then, but yes, I did enjoy it quite a bit and I'm very much looking forward to this next one.

Oh? What was your screen name over there then? I wasn't the only one who promoted it over there then, but yes, I did enjoy it quite a bit and I'm very much looking forward to this next one.

I didn't post much over there, I think it was facross or something like that. I lurked for /years/ though, both there and here (even in it's old incarnation). I think i remember at one time actually asking Ran to be a member of the BWB but never got a reply and saying to myself 'fuck that board'.

Look at me know.

Archived