Football no. 11

Horza

£12m for a mediocre, injury-prone, one-footed winger who no other big clubs wanted, who wouldn't get a place on the bench at any of the top three and who has gone 23 games for England without a goal? I think you may have a different opinion of a 'good buy' than I do.

Villa buying Downing only makes sense to me if they expect to sell Young.

What makes even less sense is Harry Redknapp considering paying so much for Peter Crouch. I mean, not even taking the money into consideration, why's he looking for another striker? They already have Keane, Pavyluchenko, Bent and DeFoe...

There are still some tickets floating around for Liverpool v Thailand...might be able to get my hands on one. That would be interesting - they are rather insane about there Premier League football out here in Thailand. The local motorbike taxi rank has "The Kop - You'll Never Walk Alone" scrawled on its wall, for example (always makes me laugh)...and when the season is on, the previous weekends matches are usually played on loop on the sports channels, so it's actually easier to watch the matches out here than it is in the UK.

Sir Thursday

Did Wenger say that? That seems to be his reply every time they lose a valuable player. Yeah we can fix it with the material we have. Seems to me as an outsider he only keeps saying because he doesn't get money to buy actual replacements. Instead of making a row, he accepts it.

I heard Villa might sell Ashley Young to Liverpool. But I don't know why Liverpool would be interested with the players they already have for that position ( Riera & Babel).

Check out Getafe's new kit, along with the sheer humiliation on the faces of the players. :stunned:

What makes even less sense is Harry Redknapp considering paying so much for Peter Crouch. I mean, not even taking the money into consideration, why's he looking for another striker? They already have Keane, Pavyluchenko, Bent and DeFoe...

We just wouldn't be Spurs if we didn't sign a new striker every summer.

I heard Villa might sell Ashley Young to Liverpool. But I don't know why Liverpool would be interested with the players they already have for that position ( Riera & Babel).

Because neither Riera nor Babel are UK citizens?

And to whoever asked the question about who Real is interested in, that would unfortunately be Alonso, who's again said that he is flattered, but that he apparently won't force a transfer. I think he is pivotal to any hopes of challenging for the title, and hope with all of my heart that he stays. You can't really be upset with him for wanting to leave after the whole Barry debacle, but I'm pretty sure the fans will voice their support if he ends up staying.

Or if they want decent backup to their first team - given that lack of depth cost them heavily last year.

Downing is an expensive squad player considering their financial means.

Calibander - Babel has been a big disappointment as a winger and Riera has done well enough but our attacking left wing is generally considered a big area for improvement in our first team.

What's wrong with their financial means? They're a rich club (well, a club with a rich owner), they just don't feel the need to splash the cash City style. They're not quite rich on that level but they're in absolutely no danger of financial trouble as long as Lerner's involved.

What's wrong with their financial means? They're a rich club (well, a club with a rich owner), they just don't feel the need to splash the cash City style. They're not quite rich on that level but they're in absolutely no danger of financial trouble as long as Lerner's involved.

10-12 million sterling still seems like a lot for a squad player when you consider what they have been able to spend on first team players.

"Have been able to spend" and "have spent" aren't the same thing- Villa are building slowly, so they're not splashing out vast sums on loads of players, but now that the first team is more or less in place, they've got no real reason to not get the best backup/rotation players they can for similar sorts of prices.

10-12 million sterling still seems like a lot for a squad player when you consider what they have been able to spend on first team players.

Villa spent more in 2008 than any other PL team. I don't know where this idea that they're cash strapped comes from.

Villa spent more in 2008 than any other PL team. I don't know where this idea that they're cash strapped comes from.

I think that people casually assume that any team outside the top four are cash strapped. This excludes Tottenham and post buyout City.

Archived