Creepy

Seventh Pup

Not to derail another thread... What makes someone creepy?

What makes you eye the exits and get a vaguely nauseous feeling when someone is talking to you? For me the human spiders are ones that are generally very sexually inappropriate, and can't read/ don't listen to disinterest.

A very recent example of this was when my friend and I had to run to catch a bus. My friend was wearing a lower cut top, and as she got on the bus and we took our seats she said "Ahh I'm falling out of my top."

The long haired, greasy, all black wearing guy sitting next to us then mumbled "I like your shirt." Then tried to constantly nudge into our conversation with these weird little laughs; he was creepy in a pathetic kind of way.

There are all kinds of creepy, from pathetic to dangerous. What creeps you out in a person?

There are all kinds of creepy, from pathetic to dangerous. What creeps you out in a person?

"I like your shirt" when said by a guy 90% of the time means, "I like your tits."

for me, it's people who ask personal questions upon first meeting them. partially creepy, partially really annoying. I've started confronting this in two ways- sometimes I ask them really personal questions back, and sometimes I start making up really horriffic stories about myself that potentially include TMI. If I can work in a messy bowel movement somewhere in the confabulation, I do it. ;)

I'm trying to think of times I get creeped out by a woman, and I got nothing. Make of that what you will. :dunno: There's things I dislike or find unattractive, but nothing that causes the icky-eww sensation.

x-posted...

-The guy who is clearly hitting on me even though he knows he's twice my age. In fact, he says I could be his daughter...and then calls me hot. If I'm ever a cougar, I will make sure I never mention the age of any offspring when on the prowl. :|

-The guy I dated for a little bit who then left town, came back without notifying me, talked his way into my house when I wasn't home by promising free food to my housemates, and then waited for me in my room. Sleeping in my bed. Multiple times!! (The fact that he was attractive helped him get in the house, because my housemates could not believe that I wouldn't want to get back together with him since he was hot.)

-The person who doesn't look at your face at all while they are trying to convince you to stay at their party, and has clearly been talking to your chest the whole time.

-The person who knows when your birthday is, and wants to celebrate it with you...even though you never told them when your birthday was.

-The guy at the non-hookup gym who keeps asking you questions when you've never been introduced. Are you a runner? You've been working out for a while, haven't you? I'm sorry, but is this distracting you from your workout? I could go back to just staring.)

"I like your shirt" when said by a guy 90% of the time means, "I like your tits."

Oh I don't doubt that's what he meant. The funny thing is that if he had said "Nice tits"

She would have said "Fuck you" and that would have been the end of it. He would have been a jerk, but not a creepy jerk. More then anything it was that he couldn't take a hint. After a revolted look and an "anyway" he kept trying to get into our conversation. With these weird little tee heees

I'm trying to think of times I get creeped out by a woman, and I got nothing. Make of that what you will. :dunno: There's things I dislike or find unattractive, but nothing that causes the icky-eww sensation.

I think in general women get labeled as weird, clingy, or desperate but not as often as creepy. Not that there aren't some creepy women at there, just what I've noticed personally.

Oh I don't doubt that's what he meant. The funny thing is that if he had said "Nice tits"

She would have said "Fuck you" and that would have been the end of it. He would have been a jerk, but not a creepy jerk. More then anything it was that he couldn't take a hint. After a revolted look and an "anyway" he kept trying to get into our conversation. With these weird little tee heees

I think in general women get labeled as weird, clingy, or desperate but not as often as creepy. Not that there aren't some creepy women at there, just what I've noticed personally.

why would he be a jerk if he'd said nice tits?

-The guy at the non-hookup gym who keeps asking you questions when you've never been introduced. Are you a runner? You've been working out for a while, haven't you? I'm sorry, but is this distracting you from your workout? I could go back to just staring.)

in the past I've been very cognizant of this, and the general perception that anyone who talks to you in the gym is trying to get a phone number, but lately I've changed my mind. Not to contradict your point kat, as I wasn't there, but in general I think people are too leery of talking to strangers. I don't go out of my way to strike up conversations in the gym, but if I see a woman obviously doing something wrong, I'll offer help and an un-creepy kind word. It takes a village.

Just two different ways of labeling the same action. A guy who likes to stalk women is creepy. A woman who likes to stalk men is desperate or clingy. A guy who talks about inappropriate things immediately in a relationship is creepy. A woman who behaves in such a way is labeled as weird. I think though men are also less likely to take offense(likely because men don't feel physically threatened as often) at such behaviors and probably more likely to give in to them as well(co-desperation).

Just two different ways of labeling the same action. A guy who likes to stalk women is creepy. A woman who likes to stalk men is desperate or clingy. A guy who talks about inappropriate things immediately in a relationship is creepy. A woman who behaves in such a way is labeled as weird. I think though men are also less likely to take offense(likely because men don't feel physically threatened as often) at such behaviors and probably more likely to give in to them as well(co-desperation).

I agree with this. Especially about the feeling threatened bit.

in the past I've been very cognizant of this, and the general perception that anyone who talks to you in the gym is trying to get a phone number, but lately I've changed my mind. Not to contradict your point kat, as I wasn't there, but in general I think people are too leery of talking to strangers. I don't go out of my way to strike up conversations in the gym, but if I see a woman obviously doing something wrong, I'll offer help and an un-creepy kind word. It takes a village.

There is nothing wrong or creepy about being helpful. Just make sure you are being equally helpful to the older, over weight women, as you are to the svelte pretty young ones. If you have a reputation for being generally helpful it doesn't seem creepy.

I think the word creepy gets tossed around a little too freely. I used to live with a couple girls and they used this word to describe pretty much every guy that approached them that they were not intersted in. Sure, it can easily get creepy when someone can't take a hint. But, someone approaching with a normal line of conversation... not automatically creepy.

Many times when I would go out with them, somoene would talk to them, or try to dance with them, and they would come over to me talking about how that guy is creepy. Its like well... you are on the dance floor, people are going to try to dance with you and you might not be attracted to all of them. Of course, sometimes the person was kinda creepy, but generally it was just someone who took an honest swing and missed the ball.

This person was not offering me any advice. They were staring at me while I was working out. I don't mind compliments, but keep it brief, rather than an excuse to have a lingering gaze. That's probably in Stego's list of gym etiquette somewhere. I do talk to people at the gym, usually people in the classes I go to, before or after the class. Not when we are working out.

I'm probably not the best judge of creepy, because I think I have a more hermit-like approach to life than others. I am cautious about interacting with people because there's a lot of social norms that I'm just not all that fond of, such as going to a gym to look good, or buying people drinks at bars in exchange for attention/sex/whatever. (I buy my own drinks, unless people are taking me out to celebrate a special occasion like my birthday.)

Oh, I'll tell you what I find creepy.

-Person who emails you when you've had one class together and both participated in class discussions but never talked to outside of class. The email itself isn't that bad, but him sharing his whole life story in the first six page email is. This is only the first of many page long emails.

-Person who decides you are his best friend because of a little niceness and starts to also see you as his therapist so he tells the long sad tale of this life. Highlights include the fact that no one has ever eaten lunch with him and how his parents never hugged him.

-Person who emails you over and over again asking you to go have coffee with him and that he can come pick you up at your house, because really, it is not that far away from his. (How does he know where I live?)

-Person who asks you to sign his Do Not Resuscitate form. When you decline he tries to give a you a hug and when you try to get away from him he won't let you until you literally yell at him not to touch you. Oh, and imagine this all took place in an underground parking garage.

-Person who gives you $100 for your wedding even though he was not invited.

-Person who sends emails saying that you go the same places. You may not see him, but he sees you.

These are just a few things I find creepy.

This. That is sometimes though attributed to desperation though.

I think if you can attach "the need to breed" onto anything, it becomes 100000x as creepy. Ew. :stunned:

Archived