US Politics XI

Inigima

Regarding Immigration:

New York Democrat Sen. Chuck Schumer says he will offer a comprehensive immigration bill by Labor Day. But don't look there. Look at the administration's ongoing program to confront employers of illegal immigrants in a low-key way.

So far this year, the Immigration and Customs Enforcement Agency has audited the hiring records of over 650 companies suspected of using illegal labor and moved against the offenders. Example: ICE told American Apparel in Los Angeles that 1,800 of its 5,600 factory workers appeared to be unauthorized. The company was fined $150,000 and told to fire employees who, on further inspection, were not supposed to be there.

Last week, the administration announced that any company wanting a sizable federal contract must use the E-Verify system to ensure that its workers are legal. E-Verify is an electronic database that contains Social Security and other records. Many businesses already use the system. The federal contract requirement moves us a step toward making an E-Verify check mandatory for all new hires.

[...]

Those open to legalizing many of the undocumented -- and polls show most Americans do -- but who wanted illegal immigration stopped -- ditto, the polls -- called for an "enforcement first" policy. Let the government prove it was serious about the law, and then we'll talk about the path to citizenship.

That's exactly the Obama approach. Anyone who doubts its effectiveness should note the discomfort among open-borders interests. The U.S. Chamber of Commerce has sued to stop the expansion of E-Verify. And the National Immigration Forum, an advocate for illegal immigrants, warns that E-Verify databases are infected with problems. Actually, E-Verify is accurate and easy to use.

And so by the time Schumer unveils his program, the larger public will already have reason to trust that the next amnesty would be the last. Schumer has gone further in that regard. He has proposed a tighter verification system using unique biometric markers, such as fingerprints or the iris of eyes.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/...here_97443.html

Anyone heard anything about the E-Verify system? Wondering who is being most truthful on that point.

Regarding the Sotomayor nomination hearings. I've got to say I wish the Republicans wouldn't attempt to use this to score political points. All it can do is hurt them. She's a good candidate. As Sen. Graham said yesterday barring some unforeseen meltdown she's going to be confirmed.

But what else are these confirmation hearings for? The days when they were rational, deliberative proceedings (if those days ever truly happened) are long gone, replaced by the kabuki theatre that involves the senators speechifying instead of asking questions and nominees making excuses instead of answering them.

A soldier refuses to deploy to Afghanistan. Why? Because, he claims, Obama is not a US citizen.

See this shit is gonna get someone to decide that doing something wacky is their only option to "oppose tyranny". Once you get to the point that you can assassinate a person in Church, then you can bet that someone out there is using this 'Birther' nonsense as motivation to do something really bad.

Regarding the Sotomayor nomination hearings. I've got to say I wish the Republicans wouldn't attempt to use this to score political points. All it can do is hurt them. She's a good candidate. As Sen. Graham said yesterday barring some unforeseen meltdown she's going to be confirmed.

Perhaps, but as a wise Caucasian, I do feel compelled to point out that A.) the Dems do the same thing when it comes to confirmation hearings for most Republican nominees and B.) Expecting Senators from any party not to bloviate when given a microphone and television audience is just plain unrealistic.

She'll get confirmed and everyone will get to stage their outrage, whether at the nominee or those opposing her.

Mcbigski,

Perhaps, but as a wise Caucasian, I do feel compelled to point out that A.) the Dems do the same thing when it comes to confirmation hearings for most Republican nominees and B.) Expecting Senators from any party not to bloviate when given a microphone and television audience is just plain unrealistic.

She'll get confirmed and everyone will get to stage their outrage, whether at the nominee or those opposing her.

The fact that "they" do it too doesn't make it right. I'm sick and tired of political theather for populist effect. I'd love to find a group of men and women who are willing to stand on real prinicpals I can get behind.

Archived