US Politics XI

Inigima

LL,

Davis is wrong, you have to have some criminality to impeach. It's not a vote of no confidence.

Could going missing and so forth qualify as serious misconduct? That's stated as cause for impeachment, as well as serious crimes.

When I saw that in the paper this morning I thought the same thing until I read they couldn't get confirmation of the emails until yesterday prior to the newsconference. That's a good reason to sit on the emails. It's slacious crap until there's something that confirms it.

Ah, gotcha. So it sounds like they asked for confirmation, which suggests that Sanford knew he was prolly on borrowed time. I still wonder if the paper went to his family in pursuit of the story, just due to the timing and all, how long they are said to have known and so on.

Davis is wrong, you have to have some criminality to impeach. It's not a vote of no confidence.

Davis is a close friend of the governor, he made the comment I quoted while supporting Sanford. It just comes across as ridiculous. Davis was saying that Sanford will come across as apologetic and repentant and will be forgiven. Because he is not being hypocritical. :rolleyes:

What was the misuse of power? I've read some speculation about whether or not public resources were used to help this affair, but nothing definitive yet.

I misspoke; I should have said "abuse of office", which to a certain extent this seems to be. A sitting governor just shouldn't go AWOL for one day, much less five or six, and that's the part that should really concern the voters. No calamity befell the state during that time so no harm was done (Well, Mrs. Sanford might disagree), but I think that a censure might be in order.

I misspoke; I should have said "abuse of office", which to a certain extent this seems to be. A sitting governor just shouldn't go AWOL for one day, much less five or six, and that's the part that should really concern the voters. No calamity befell the state during that time so no harm was done (Well, Mrs. Sanford might disagree), but I think that a censure might be in order.

Ah, agreed. I didn't know if I'd missed an article or something. It is incredibly irresponsible for an governor to wander off without some mechanism for legal head of state. The Appalachian Trail story was equally irresponsible, since every hiker knows the dangers of the sport and that things can and do go wrong. If the governor of SC falls and is lost on the Appalachian Trail or just runs off to Argentina...bad news either way.

Censure should certainly be looked into.

Weren't there taxpayer funds used in this travel? That's what I thought I glimpsed on CNN this morning.

I think that was referring to an official trip he took to South America a while back. He did go to Buenos Aires, but also to other places in Argentina and Brazil as well. He might have met with his mistress while on the trip, but I don't think they can impeach him over that.

If the governor of SC falls and is lost on the Appalachian Trail or just runs off to Argentina...bad news either way.

Indeed. What if South Carolina had been invaded by alien mud crabs while he was gone? What would they have done without the unparalleled genius of the winner of the quadrannual popularity contest? Commerce would have ground to a halt, infants would wail in the streets. Rivers and seas boiling, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria. Seriously, if 90% of the elected representatives in this country dissappeared tomorrow and it didn't get on the news, no one would notice until the next election.

Seriously, if 90% of the elected representatives in this country dissappeared tomorrow and it didn't get on the news, no one would notice until the next election.

Or at least until someone needed to declare a state of emergency due to the affects of severe weather/conditions and make a disaster declaration. ETA: You know, Perry, Jindal and Crist prolly shouldn't plan a walkabout during hurricane season, for instance. Ahnold.. I dunno, does Cali have a disaster free season?

Rep Michelle Bachmann, ever reliable source of right wing foolishness, has advocated against filling out the Census form. Because, apparently, your information will fall into the soiled, swarthy hands of ACORN. And then the government will use it to lock us into internment camps like they did to the Japanese in the 40s.

During an interview this morning on Fox News, Bachmann mostly focused on the danger of her personal information falling into the hands of the dreaded menace ACORN. But at one point, she made a very interesting appeal to history:

"Take this into consideration. If we look at American history, between 1942 and 1947, the data that was collected by the Census Bureau was handed over to the FBI and other organizations at the request of President Roosevelt, and that's how the Japanese were rounded up and put into the internment camps," said Bachmann. "I'm not saying that that's what the Administration is planning to do, but I am saying that private personal information that was given to the Census Bureau in the 1940s was used against Americans to round them up, in a violation of their constitutional rights, and put the Japanese in internment camps."

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009/06...ent.php?ref=fpa

First they came for the Jews, and I said nothing. Then they came for the gays, and I said nothing. Then they came for the crazy attention-whoring right wing dingbats... and no one wanted to say a fucking thing.

Or at least until someone needed to declare a state of emergency due to the affects of severe weather/conditions and make a disaster declaration.

It's usually pretty damn obvious when there is a disaster. I don't need someone to tell me. Even then, I'm betting for those who need someone to make an official one, they'll find somebody.

KB,

But if Sanford resigns Andre Bauer gets the Governorship. What will sink Sandford is if he used State resources for his trip to Evitaland.

Andre Bauer makes Sandford look like Einstein.

Agreed Bauer (wasn't he the one with all those drunk driving convictions?) is damn fool in fact most South Carolina politicians are fools but they have the good manners to go through the motions of government and keep whatever affairs they are having private.

It's usually pretty damn obvious when there is a disaster. I don't need someone to tell me. Even then, I'm betting for those who need someone to make an official one, they'll find somebody.

True. Back in 2005 Bush was well aware of the disaster wrought by Katrina, and of the "heck of a job" his FEMA chief was doing.

Wasn't their a guy in NY recently with the same scandal and a guy who hid 90 k in his freezer and a President who was getting head in the Oval Office and they were all Democrats....I think that was it......

Wasn't their a guy in NY recently with the same scandal and a guy who hid 90 k in his freezer and a President who was getting head in the Oval Office and they were all Democrats....I think that was it......

Wow, you really put it to the Dems. I bet they're all horribly cowed now and won't mention how none of the three you named ever stood on a pulpit and screamed and raged about how wrong it is to do those things before they were busted doing those things.

No one is arguing that only Republicans get caught doing stupid crap like this. Only that the hypocrisy from said Republicans is highly amusing.

ap,

Wow, you really put it to the Dems. I bet they're all horribly cowed now and won't mention how none of the three you named ever stood on a pulpit and screamed and raged about how wrong it is to do those things before they were busted doing those things.

I beg to differ. Elliot Spitzer was quite the muckraker when he was the New York Attorney General.

If the allegations are true (and Spitzer’s statement that he “acted in a way that violates my obligation to my family†certainly sounds like an admission), the governor’s hypocrisy—and his belief that there is one set of laws for the little people and another set for Great Men like himself—is obvious. As attorney general and leader of the state's organized crime task force, Spitzer spearheaded the prosecution of two alleged prostitution rings, according to the Times.

But Spitzer’s moralistic crusade against paid sex (by non-Spitzers, at least) wasn’t confined to New York or even the United States of America. As far as Spitzer is concerned, he has the right to prevent people from exchanging cash for cuddles anywhere in the world.

Big Apple Oriental Tours was a Queens-based travel agency with an angle: it marketed vacations for men to destinations such as Angeles City, Philippines, a jurisdiction in which adult prostitution is nominally illegal but is condoned and regulated by the government because of the money it brings in. The militant feminist group Equality Now had been agitating for prosecution of Big Apple Oriental Tours since at least 1996, but had never found a prosecutor willing to take the case. (Big Apple Oriental Tours has never been linked to child prostitution, which would be another matter entirely.)

I beg to differ. Elliot Spitzer was quite the muckraker when he was the New York Attorney General.

Do we really have to go over this over and over again? Spitzer resigned for his hypocrisy. Similar morality-thumpers like Vitter, Ensign, and Sanford (so far) have not. GOP still way ahead in this game.

DG,

I'm not disagreeing. I'm simply pointing out the GOP isn't the sole bastion of hypocrisy, as shown by the Spitzer scandle. Hell, if we had a decent Lt. Gov. to take his place I, and others I think, would be calling on Sanford to walk. As it stands we're (the people of South Carolina) better off with the slimy idiot than we are with the kindergarten level moron.

Archived