More indications about character ages

I think these are consistent with the script we heard about earlier (via IMDB):

MyEntertainmentWorld.com has a few brief breakdowns that include the ages of some of the children being cast. Any misspellings of names are from the notices themselves. FYI: MyEntertainmentWorld.com's "upcoming auditions new listings" page changes every couple of days, so this information won't be on that particular page long. More detailed information is only available by subscription, which I don't have at that site:

"Title: A GAME OF THRONES (aka A SONG OF FIRE & ICE), TV Pilot for HBO. CAST, Peter Dinklage; PROD, Guymon Casady, George R.R. Martin, Ralph Vicinanza, Frank Doelger, Joe Byrne, Vince Gerardis, Carolyn Strauss, Mark Huffam; DIR, Tom McCarthy; WRTR, David Benioff, D.B. Weiss. Shoot Dates: Begins October 12, 2009 (in Belfast, Northern Ireland). Breakdown-- Bran: Playing age 8, an extraordinary boy; Aria: Playing age 11 , girl; Sansa: Playing age 13, girl: Daenerys: Must be aged 18+ but look younger, girl; Rob: Playing age 16, male, a heir to the throne; Theon: Playing age 15, male; Jon Snow: Playing age 18-19, but can be aged up to 22, male. The above are all the sons and daughters of noble families. (Posted: June 29, 2009)"

This indicates that they haven't cast any of the children or Dany yet.

A little bit concerning that that thing about making Jon older than Robb and Dany still seems to be in place, as that has a bit of an impact on chronology (although I guess if they never mention the ages on-screen it shouldn't matter).

I'm sure the story of Robb and Jon's births can be rechronologized with relatively little fuss? I'm more concerned, though not by much, about the fact that Bran is "extraordinary boy" but Arya doesn't get a description. As far as we've read -- and in terms of character/personality rather than sooper speshul powerz -- Arya's far more extraordinary...

I don't think you can rechronologise Jon to be that much older than Robb without any fuss. One of the big things in the book is that Cat doesn't know which one of them is older, and he's a baby when she shows up at Winterfell with baby Robb.

I'm sure the story of Robb and Jon's births can be rechronologized with relatively little fuss? I'm more concerned, though not by much, about the fact that Bran is "extraordinary boy" but Arya doesn't get a description. As far as we've read -- and in terms of character/personality rather than sooper speshul powerz -- Arya's far more extraordinary...

That's just a brief summary of the breakdowns, not the breakdowns themselves. The full breakdowns will have a good paragraph or so description of each character, that's just the one line this particular site decided to include in their summary, that's all it means.

Maybe they got Theon and Jon the wrong way round? *shrugs*

I sure hope so! Changing the ages that much is really going to affect the character dynamic. Given they've got that disclaimer about typos being from the original source, maybe whoever typed the orginal quote realises that these may not be accurate.

*crosses fingers that Jon isn't really going to be that much older than everyone else*

I'll play the devil's advocate for a while and say: what's wrong with those changes? All that's needed is to assume Cat got pregnant after Eddard returned from the war. Robb is still the heir because he's legitimate, and Cat still has reasons (in fact, more reasons) to be afraid of Jon.

I'm not saying that I feel that this specific change is needed, but if that is the decision of the producers I could live with it. Jon is a much more complex character to play than Robb, and I can see why they could feel they need an experienced actor for the role.

Well, for a start, Jon wouldn't still be living alongside his siblings if he was 22. He should be in someone's household guard or making a living elsewhere, not still training and playing alongside Robb and Bran. A 22 year old ... even a 19 year old, is a grown man in Westeros, and the idea of him pleading to go to the Wall with Benjen as a 22 year old is a little absurd. He wouldn't plead, he'd be perfectly entitled to just go, I should think. Ned would most likely have no problem with it, and he wouldn't be calling Catelyn 'cruel' for not wanting to keep Jon at Winterfell.

It doesn't fit at all with the timeline of the war. You kind of have to have Dany and Jon to be roughly similar in age, or one of those central mysteries just sort of disappears, or it becomes very, very changed. I don't think they're planning to change things that much, so I'll take it as a given that it's in error since they're not aging Dany very much at all either.

Eh, Theon as a 15 year old is weird. He is a fully grown man from the start, and the way he looks down on Robb/Jon as younger brothers is quite important.

That's why I think its an error. One is aged up and one down?

Besides, it isn't consistent with the scripts people have talked about.

In the leaked script Theon is listed as 19, while both Jon and Robb are listed as 17. Things could change if for some reason they think it's necessary, but that's how it is in what got out.

Oh, for the record, Dany is listed as 15.

Archived