Exercise and Fitness V

needle

I bought proper running clothes yesterday after nagging from my sis in law who said I was very silly for running in a sun dress. Dying to get home to non-95 degreee heat in Scotland and try them out.

Talking of running in the heat - Ztem in particular might be interested in this tip I was given by my uber-fit next door neighbour. Tie a wet bandana round your neck before you set off, and it keeps your temperature down quite considerably when you run, as back of your neck regulates your temperature a lot. Both sis in law and I have tried it, and can testify it really works ( sis in law is a far more experienced runner than me, and she was amazed by the difference it makes)

Ok, back to the gym bunnies..:P

so for to continue the discussion of all things exercise related. Positive stories encouraged, bitching stories when necessary.

So I'm on my bike tonight at about 1:40AM, and the pedal decides to do this.

which causes me to do this.

which was the cherry on top of a roadblock-filled day. it happened on the home stretch of a 32 mile ride, less than three miles from my house. I ended up walking back, plopping in my barcalounger at 2:30.

I joined the Crossfit Toronto gym, and am making a commitment to be there five days a week. On the weekends, I plan on being either at the rock wall (having way too much fun with this one, no way am I pushing it out of the mix) or on a hike. But I may try to fit in some gym time here and there. I shall play it by ear.

I have sort of been doing the workouts already, but not in a really dedicated fashion, so I thought it was time to get serious about it. There is something about the focus on general fitness that has been really good for my knee. I don't know how to explain it, but I like it, and want to continue with it. You gotta do what works, right? They also have a pretty good student rate, and I'm going with my partner who gets the 20% off law enforcement discount, so it seemed like a good buy-in.

I had my first 'experience' at their gym yesterday evening. Woe is me. First off, they scaled up my workouts. Great. Saying that my muscles are sore this morning is a bit of an understatement, I'm afraid. So, let us just say that whoever invented Knees to Elbows is an asshole. But I still absolutely cannot wait until tonight. :lol:

Anyway, it was great, all round! Met a lot of awesome people. Great attitudes, friendly, helpful, and very focused. Cool environment. Very inspiring.

Cool beans, Jamie! Crossfit can be absolutely great. It's a solid system, if a bit unsafe unsupervised. As you're going to a gym, I imagine you're all set there. Just don't become one of those Crossfit zombies, please.

Cool beans, Jamie! Crossfit can be absolutely great. It's a solid system, if a bit unsafe unsupervised. As you're going to a gym, I imagine you're all set there. Just don't become one of those Crossfit zombies, please.

Yeah, that's another reason why I decided to join. They have trainers around everywhere. And while you are technically supposed to schedule one-on-one time, they were not reluctant to offer advice on the fly, even when you were not technically 'on the clock'. This is obviously a bit more expensive then an ordinary gym, but I feel like it is worth it. You can never be too safe when it comes to perfecting your form.

And no, I doubt I will be zombified. If I do happen to join the ranks of the living-challenged, I give you permission to head cap me.

I finally connected our DVD last night and started on my Yoga in Pregnancy. 70 min of stuff I used to think was easier was now slightly more tricky, but definitely worth it, and it felt great! (albeit a bit too warm :P )

My initial goal is to at least have 3 x 70 min sessions a week and I hope the extreme heatwave won't make it impossible.

No wait! Let's talk more about running and dresses. In my latest installment of Athleta catalog there are several "running dresses and running skirts." They appear to be kind of like a tennis dress, but a little shorter and a little slimmer in cut, and then there are these little tight shorts beneath. A bit weird, but no weirder than my yoga skirts, which I do wear almost everyday. So actually, needle, you were just following the latest trend in women's athletic attire, you fashion maven!

I have nothing to report. I am lazy. It is hot. I will try to do something today.

I have nothing to report. I am lazy. It is hot. I will try to do something today.

I feel the same way. I was glad I took my dog for a walk yesterday, but it was like pulling teeth just getting myself out the door. Today I must make myself work out during lunch. It is for my sanity as well as my health. The phones are driving me insane!

Today, as I was drying my hands off in the bathroom I looked in the mirror and noticed a large bump in the sleeve of my golf shirt. I thought hm thats odd and pressed it to push it down. That was when I realized it was my bicep. Score! I had been noticing that my biceps looked bigger and my triceps felt harder lately but it was good to just see it through my shirt unintentionally without flexing. I WAS going to just go home and go to sleep tonight after dinner and homework, but now I'm having second thoughts about skipping my workout.

No wait! Let's talk more about running and dresses. In my latest installment of Athleta catalog there are several "running dresses and running skirts." They appear to be kind of like a tennis dress, but a little shorter and a little slimmer in cut, and then there are these little tight shorts beneath. A bit weird, but no weirder than my yoga skirts, which I do wear almost everyday. So actually, needle, you were just following the latest trend in women's athletic attire, you fashion maven!

Yes, it seems like half the women's clothing at REI right now is skorts, skirts, or dresses.

I don't mind skirts for walking around or being a tourist; I frequently get in touch with my inner girly-girl when the weather is hot, and I'll wear bike shorts under a skirt and take em off after my commute....but I draw the line at hiking or running in a skirt. That just seems like an extra layer of material that does not need to be there. Plus, I find the idea of athletic skirts kind of bizarre, like we're returning to days in which active women need to wear a non-bifurcated garment lest someone forget that they're actually women. But to each their own.

That sounds quite intense

It was a lot harder then I thought. I saw the list on the whiteboard, and was thinking, 'Pfft, Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy'.

Oh what little did I know ...

I WAS going to just go home and go to sleep tonight after dinner and homework, but now I'm having second thoughts about skipping my workout.

No! Just think about how much bigger that bump will get if you don't skip out on the workout!

Archived