RIP EHK

EHK for Darwin

Shit.

I met him once, in Glasgow, and he was exactly the same as he is here - a short, angry guy who spent most of his time ranting about the smoking ban. You'll be missed, Tom

I bet right now he's having a drink with MW.

My condolences to you, Chris.

It was a pleasure to see EHK pissed off about something. As stated earlier, it is rare to see someone so angry and yet so convincing and eloquent. He was one of the board people I implicitly trusted when it came to movies and TV and his criticisms on entertainment we had both watched were always fun to read.

July 10th will be eight months with no nicotine for me. But I'm tempted to smoke a big, fat Monte Cristo just in EHK's memory. :smoking:

Probably not, but the thought occurred to me.

While this is terrible news, EHK has left a legacy that I believe will be lasting. The 4th of July will have a brand-new meaning for members of this board.

RIP Tom and thanks for being here! :cheers:

EHK - love you - miss you - thank you. Can't wait to see you again some day for debates and laughter. You have touched so much and so many - there are no words to explain. To your family and those dear, know how much EHK meant to so many, and we share tears with you. Thank you for what you gave me and showed me. Thank you.

That's just wrong. That was not supposed to happen. EHK was meant to go out an old, old man--brandishing his cane and castigating the young. This is just a terrible mistake.

His name was Tom. I never knew his name.

I'm not really ready to come to grips with this yet but I have to say Thank You Chris. What if we never knew?

This is just terrible. As much as EHK and I disagreed on things, he was someone whose posts I consistently looked forward to reading, and whose opinion I'd always give weight to. I was lucky enough to meet Tom in Glasgow back in 2005, and always looked forward to the day we'd meet again in person.

My deepest condolences to you and your family, Chris, and to everyone everywhere who knew him.

-- Marguerite

Edited because I had the year wrong.

I admired EHK for his intensity, straight talking, and the way he could combine passion and reason in his arguments. This place is diminished, without him. I wish I had met him.

My condolences to you and your family, Chris.

That is shocking. I felt my heart stop for a second, and realised it probably wasn't a joke when I saw that the topic was stickied.

I'll echo the sentiments of everyone else and say that he was one of the ubiquitous presences of the board, everyone knows who he was, and there could be no doubt that he was one who lived his life wholly, passionately and fulfillingly. Well-traveled, opinionated, n00b-hating, eloquent, he was all those things and more. Never met him, but he will definitely be missed.

It strikes me also that he was much, much too young to die. I think he had yet to reach 30 (or am I mistaken?), which makes it all doubly tragic.

My thoughts, condolences and prayers go out to his family and loved ones. Rest in peace, EHK.

I admit, having just yesterday read something on "pseuicide", I held out hope that this was untrue, even if it seemed utterly unlike EHK. But finding his obituary was sobering. I'm very sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and your family, as well as to Tom's friends.

What to say about Tom that hasn't already been said? I don't know. He could be an ornery, opinionated cuss and sometimes he got in trouble for it, and other times he just seemed to be saying the things some of us would like to have said but were restrained from it by vague notions of social nicety. He was not a mean-spirited person, at least from what I saw on the forum and from meeting him in Glasgow. He seemed like the sort of man who lived life to the fullest, who drank it in to the lees.

If I drank, I'd get a nice microbrew and lift one up in memory. Maybe someone else can do that.

Rest in peace, EHK.

Like many I’m shocked and dumbfounded to read this. This is so unreal.

To me EHK was one of the most outspoken members of this board.

His arguments were always very articulate and well thought. Even those who disagreed with him respected his reasoning and considered him one of the defining members of this board.

My condolences to you and the entire Wilcox family.

Ray

I'm shocked and saddened, really can't imagine the board without Tom. He was irreplaceable. Passionate and articulate, took no shit but listened to opposing points of view. Wonderfully funny and friendly, both on the board and the one time we met in person. (He ribbed me terribly about being banned shortly before.) We disagreed on some things but there was nobody who I more enjoyed disagreeing with. I'll always remember and respect him, as I think we all will.

Add me to the list of those in complete shock. Tom was a cornerstone of these forums. He could be infuriating and insightful at the same time. But he was never dull and his absence will be a gaping void that cannot ever truly be filled.

All my condolences to his family.

wow, this is shocking. Tom was one of the people I've met from the board and hung out with a little bit, but wish I could have spent more time with.

it was only a few beers at a con plus what, eight years of long blocks of text?

I will remember.

Archived