RIP EHK

EHK for Darwin

I thought this was a joke at first too - but this is really horrible.

EHK and I didn't clash much since I tend to stay away from politics, but I did enjoy reading his rants when I came across them.

I never got to meet him personally, but it's hard to believe that he's gone when he has been such a presence in our lives.

May you find peace and plenty of smokes, EHK.

May he rest in peace.

I frequently found him to be the voice and rhetoric I don't possess in political arguments, and greatly appreciated him for that. Even when I didn't agree, his views and opinions were always worthy of reading and contemplating.

I saw a status update on Facebook that drew me over. EHK and I had a few clashes early on in our posting careers. However, he was a great example of how people grow and evolve. He was passionate in his beliefs and well-spoken is in expression of those beliefs.

I'm bummed.

Holy shit, this is really tragic. Like many Euros on the board I met him only once, in Glasgow, but I remember his posts back from the ezboard beginnings. He was one of the posters who contributed the most to the board through its whole history. I simply can't believe it.

Heartfelt condolences to Tom's family and friends.

I was shocked when I saw this news amongst all the general myopia of facebook.

EHK was by far one of the most entertaining, intelligent and fascinating individuals I've encountered in any setting, online or off. I'm upset I never had the opportunity to meet him in real life.

While I would try and make my political points short and simple to avoid revealing the shallowness of my opinions, EHK would seemingly lengthen his to epic form and only get wittier and more incisive with each word. It never mattered whether I agreed with EHK or not -- I would read every word of his every post and often find myself convinced by the end. He had a powerful ability to write, with flair, humor and a dash of anger.

Tom will be missed. Deepest, I'm sure, by his family and close personal friends, but by this community as well, as he was one of our greatest and most compelling contributors.

RIP.

This news is just......horrible. I am so so so sorry. My heartfelt sympathies go out to EHK/Tom's family. Oh my god, this is too sad. I can see him chasing down Jehovah's Witnesses and giving them hell for not accepting blood transfusions. I don't want to believe this.

I was taken aback by this news (understatement).

EHK was passionate, opinionated, sharp and good to debate with, despite his dubious Transformers canon preferences. I hugely regret I never got a chance to meet him. He was one in a million. Condolences to his friends and family.

His full-scale, one-man assault on the IMDB Legend of the Seeker board a few months back was truly something to behold. Unfortunately, all his posts seem to have been deleted, but it was fucking epic.

We crossed verbal swords on more than one occasion.

He always found the patience to write long and well reasoned posts, in the most heated of discussions.

Do we know by now the cause of this unexpected tragedy?

I really am quite stunned by this. When I saw the thread title my first thought was that he was retiring his boardname or something. And when I saw the thread seemed to have been started by him I felt it was confirmed.

Then I opened the thread......

I don't visit here as much as I did but going back as far as the ezboard days EHK has always been one of about 10 or so posters that seemed to be the core of the forum. Used to disagree a lot on politics in the early days and I assumed he was similar to Dirjj and others like that but came to realize that his positions on things were a lot more thought out and considered than I had first thought.

Thereafter I found much to agree with and always enjoyed his rants on The Wheel of Time books.

I think it does make you reflect on the massive change the internet has had on our lives over the last decade or more when someone's passing who most of us have never met can have such a profound effect.

RIP EHK.

Wow. RIP Tom/EHK.

One of my (and many others) favorite members to read on the board. Tragic that he was so young.

Thanks for posting the pictures, Tom looks pretty much how I pictured him in my head.

Condolences to his family.

My 2nd post in this thread. Don't know why. Maybe because, try as you might, you just can't say enough about a guy like him. In any case, I realized that EHK is the kind of person that makes this one of the best places on the net - he was impassioned, intelligent, eloquent, defied stereotype, and never left a good fight unfought.

Plus, who the hell is going to keep the damn Cubs fans in check anymore?

Archived