RIP EHK

EHK for Darwin

Well, we have the guest book attached to the obituary. Individuals could paste their comments into that, at the least. Though from what I remember, EHK's family was quite conservative, so we might want to tone some of it down.

I have been readng EHK's rants on the board for a very long time. He was always good for an excellent point of view, playing devil's advocate, or just a good asschewing. I feel extremely saddened by this loss even though I never met the guy in person. My condolences to his family, he will be sorely missed, and happily remembered.

I don't know how I didn't see this thread until today, but I wish I'd never seen it.

But that wouldn't change anything. It wouldn't take very long at all before the void that he's left in this community would be too obvious not to notice immediately.

I usually agreed with him. I remember a few times that quick feeling of pride when he'd pop on a thread and agree with something I'd said. Then he'd go on to say it better, with more authority and correcting gaps in logic as he went.

It really sucks to know you're gone, EHK. And it sucks even more that I'll never get to meet you.

Well, we have the guest book attached to the obituary. Individuals could paste their comments into that, at the least. Though from what I remember, EHK's family was quite conservative, so we might want to tone some of it down.

Yes, and Catholic. Speaking as someone from a Catholic family, I might share thoughts on that topic with you all that I may not have wanted to share with my family. Might be something to keep in mind.

Yes, and Catholic. Speaking as someone from a Catholic family, I might share thoughts on that topic with you all that I may not have wanted to share with my family. Might be something to keep in mind.

Yes. I think, if Ro is in contact with the family, maybe we should channel communications through her? I don't know if a bunch of left-wing atheists who admired EHK for his profane rants sending emails or commenting en masse to the obit would be all that comforting to his family.

I already posted in this, and in the tribute rant thread, but I was sitting here at work thinking about things and realized that I didn't feel like I had really properly given the man the credit he deserves.

I actually agreed with most of what EHK said (in the time I've been in GC, in any case), so for me it was like he was a more eloquent mouthpiece for some of my ranting inclinations. I don't necessarily have the ability to put things into words in a posting here on the board, and once EHK had expressed himself, it seemed utterly superfluous to simply repeat what he said. But it felt so very good and cathartic to read his words, not just for their ranting, but also for the wisdom contained therein. He had genuine insight into most things that I cared about, which is why I was almost certain to find him commenting in most topics I was reading.

It seems odd to feel like there's such a hole left by someone I never had the chance to meet. But in some ways that makes it all the greater of a sense of loss. As many people have said, I only knew him a little, and it was the fact that I will never get to know him more that is so devastating. I can only imagine how deep the loss is for people who knew him better.

Words are failing me, and while it seemed like I had a great deal to say, I'm finding it difficult to express it properly. Perhaps later I will be more able to do so in a manner befitting the man.

does anyone here have any website building skills? im thinking of a memorial page for Tom, pictures, quotes, what have you. something semi permanent in this online world of ours. let me know, ill gladly throw man hours or money or whatever is needed to back the undertaking.

send me a pm.

RIP EHK

I gotta say, it’s a complete travesty that there *isn’t* 24/7 news coverage on every media outlet worldwide of EHK that outshines Michael Jackson.

You know he’d agree.

How would people feel about raising the money ($80) to keep the guest book online permanently, rather than it expire in a year? Alternately, we could move the entries to another site, I suppose. But I do feel that it would be nice to have that saved.

Sad, sad news.

Even on subjects where I didn't agree with him, I don't remember EHK ever writing a post that wasn't intelligent or didn't contribute to the thread - which is quite an achievement considering how prolifically he posted.

I'm sorry I never got to meet him.

R.I.P.

I just read through this entire thing hoping it was a sick sick joke.

I would always stop to read this man's posts and like everyone else has stated he said everything in a way that, even if you did not agree with what you were reading he at least made you stop and think about his point of view.

I also agree that I feel the death of this man that I never really "knew" far more acutely than that of MJ, Farrah or Steve McNair. I felt a shock and a jolt and then a cold chill went through me when I realized it was true.

All my condolences to his family.

I'm shocked and hurt by this....I heard about it over on LJ, but I didn't want to believe it.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Folks, he knows how ASOIAF ends...trust me!

Oftentimes I was surprised at how long a thread could last once EHK entered into it. Not only did his POV align with that of many others, but he rarely touched on a single piece of the issue. Regardless of the topic, when EHK decided to opine, you got the history, the current conditions and the future implications wrapped whole within his little essays (with more than a little sass). Once EHK spoke, what more was there to say?

Actually, I guess I shouldn't have been surprised. Find a topic worth discussing and EHK would redefine the boundaries for that discussion, opening it up to new branches of thought for consideration... which in itself was ironic, as these conversations inevitably led back to topics like the GOP, zealotry and ignorance.

I'm going to miss the guy. It feels like I've lost my message board's home team.

Never will there be a boarder who waxes so eloquently and intelligently with one word: fuck.

This board will be a little emptier and sadder place without EHK.

Damn, this is tearing me up... I've never met him or anyone from this board but... fuck, if you guys aren't important to me.

Shit!

I only just caught up with this.

I had some great run-ins with EHK, and was totally on his side in some others. I really admired his laser-sharp discussion skills, and his sense of humour.

I will miss him.

My thoughts go out to his family.

Archived