RIP EHK

EHK for Darwin

It's embarrassingly mawkish, but I can't get his brother Chris finding the browser open to the board out of my head - like a life interrupted.

I've been stuck on the same mental image myself, Annelise. It's like the browser was waiting for him to come back. Just like us.

I try to let this go , since last night. At least to strike a middle road.but i ony feel a leaden weight in my chest. whenever i glance my computer i feel weirdly drawn and repelled by it at the same time. And just plain sad. There goes a man we knew as EHK. Some of us had the pleasure to meet him in person and as they say they came out a little bit wealthier for it. I didnt have the chance but i bet that if i had the opportunity to meet him i d jump at it. So this struck me terribly. I dont have the will to search for any quotes of his that made me laugh or made me think. I always remember how this was the one person who expressed his opinions so strongly and confidently but at the same time he always listened to the other side of a well spoken argument. And how well he could receive a well-natured tease and be gracious about it.it feels such a narrow place to express how sad his passing is.

Its like this world of written thoughts and arguments , of colourful icons and distant merry friends sprang into life and just bit us hard.

i cant imagine this place without him and it must be a million times harder for his family and friends.

once again , rest in peace tom.

Having EHK post in a thread gave it instant legitimacy -- you had to read it, if only to pick up his one post of frank disdain. If he engaged, he was sincere, direct, and lethal. He matched unrivaled passion with exhaustive deliberation and was, if any of us are, truly great.

RIP Tom / EHK

I did not realize this was real until I saw Hereward's thread. I thought EHK was just being banned for some awesome, explosive rant. The guy was a force of nature, how can he be dead? How can all that intelligence and passion suddenly cease to be?

I never met him, but I greatly enjoyed his contribution to the political discussions here. He will be keenly missed.

My deepest condolences and sympathy to his family, and thanks to Chris for taking time to let us know. RIP EHK.

Plus, who the hell is going to keep the damn Cubs fans in check anymore?

There in lies a regret: I've been kicking about posting up another Chicago gathering and I was really hoping that EHK would make it out when and if we did this so we could hash some of the great Cubs/Sox chestnuts that have been thrown about over the years while drinking great beer. Damn.

Guest Raidne

Thanks for posting the obituary Ran, I needed that to get past stage 1 - denial. Or at least make a start. EHK...is gone? Like Isk said, the guy was a force of nature. I guess I'm still just shocked.

It's been quite a while since I spoke to EHK, having been long away from the board. The news is no less shocking or sad.

I'm glad to have had the pleasure of hanging out with him in Glasgow. I was surprised to see that he only made it into one of my pictures, but he's in this one.

He will be missed for his impassioned arguments, his friendly and welcoming way in chat, and because the world always needs more White Sox fans. But mostly he will be missed because he was a friend to so many of us here.

I am no longer sad. I am angry. :tantrum:

Me too. And a little terrified, that such a strong and vibrant spirit can be so suddenly silenced.

I posted a rant about Death to the Memorial Rant thread.

I ....

I .....

....stunned is too small a word.

When I first joined the old Ezboard, Tom and I seemed to drawn to each other like oil and water. Man .... we argued, debated, and even came close to insulting at time or two on every subject we could think of. So Like Mouse and many others, I observed his maturing process and his shifting of views and beliefs. He always hated me taking credit for his becoming a "liberal". lol (Of man, I can just imagine him quoting that with a hearty FUCK YOU in response).

Tom's was truly one of a kind, Jaime Lannister's sig line would fit him to a Tee. There were no men "like" him, there was only him.

Jeezus I regret that we never took the time to meet and hang out in person. He lived less than an hour from me ......

Damn. I'm all choked up. He was one of the boaders here I would really have liked to met some day in rl. I always loved his posts and from what he talked about here, at least, we had a lot of the same interests in common. Damn. Damn.

RIP :cry:

It'll take me a while to process everything. But until I read the obit, I too was, seriously, in denial. I so much wanted it to be a bad joke.

The sense of a community is hard, at least for me, to describe. But I know that I see this board as a community, and I know that many others do. Our paths crossed, in the tugs and pulls of life's current. Our meeting might have been chance, but our interactions were sincere. Each person gets out of this internet thing as much as they put in. It's no dispute that Tom, EHK, put in a lot of his passion here. His words were filled with sincerity, and his posts forced you to take him seriously. I know the EHK that I know from this board is not the entirety of his person. I know only the aspects that he showed here. Even then, I think he was a brilliant person with a great mind, and I really respect him for that. I'm terribly saddened by the thought of such a promising life cut short. I remember him finding his way to the law school after talking about some other possibilities, and I am quite certain that he would have flourished in the legal profession, with such a keen mind, such a great mental facility, and his signature glee in engaging in heated debates.

When someone you know passes away, you always think about your own mortality. I know I do. And for atheists like EHK and myself, the end of life has a heavy note of finality. I don't believe in the afterlife, and neither did EHK. I suppose he'll know for sure, one way or another, by now (and it's jarring to have to keep talking about him in the past tense...). I do believe, however, that we achieve our immortality by the memory we leave behind. He's never completely gone, as long as we remember him. Our community is the lesser without him, but he'll live on in our memories and thoughts.

We miss you, bud.

I posted a rant about Death to the Memorial Rant thread.

It was a good rant.

This feels totally surreal. I hardly ever recall agreeing with EHK on anything, but I always respected him for the strength of his opinions and his lack of reserve in putting them forward. And he was always so deeply here.

Requiem aeternam et lux perpetua luceat eis.

Archived