RIP EHK

EHK for Darwin

My condolences to you and your family, Chris. I am sorry for your loss. And I want to thank you for making the time to post here and informing us of this; we appreciate your doing that. Please know that he will be missed.

Id suggest something along the lines of what Mya posted with whomever wished to "sign" their name to it. I figure its short, gets the point across without being vulgar, and Im sure seeing the hundreds, if not a thousand, names attached it would get its point across that he was special and will be missed here.

Peace, EHK.

And I believe that the HK stood for Hong Kong.

Enlightenment Hong Kong? God, I hope you're joking.

I don't participate in this board much (or as much as others, I should say), but I have to admit, I'm still in shock over this.

His posts in any thread involving HBO shows (The Wire, Deadwood, Rome, Sopranos) were straight-up brilliant.

That really sucks. He was posting on the night of the 3rd, and family was visiting on the 4th. I think though, that if EHK had a choice of days the, 4th of July would be one of top choices, but in the year 2040.

Guest thebadlady

Sadly, I won't be able to go to the services due to medical complications. I talked to Chris and he said he was following this thread and the family was touched at the love shown.

Regarding the cause of death: its still unknown. Tom talked to his father around 3am of the fourth, and was found at 6am with a faint pulse. EMTs arrived quickly but they were unable to revive him. There were no indications of foul play or self-inflicted injuries. Chris said he would share what they learned as the information becomes available.

I hope he died with curses to the state of Kansas and Department of Health on his lips.

I was supposed to put him up when he finally came to Portland and indulged in microbrew valhalla.

I will get drunker than normal for the man who once advised me to take three thousand dollars and blow it all on Russian hookers and a private militia.

I hope he died with curses to the state of Kansas and Department of Health on his lips.

I was supposed to put him up when he finally came to Portland and indulged in microbrew valhalla.

I will get drunker than normal for the man who once advised me to take three thousand dollars and blow it all on Russian hookers and a private militia.

We truly are poorer for wont of his wit and wisdom.

I am in total shock, I've not been on the board for a couple days.

Chris, I am so sorry for your loss and for your family.

Please take all these posts as a tribute to his memory and draw comfort from it.

Although a lot of us did not 'know' him in real life, he was such a major presence, had such a commanding personality and was so full of passion, I (and I 'm sure many of us) felt I DID know him and this board will never be the same now that he's gone.

RIP EHK. :smoking: :cry:

Does anyone recall what EHK stands for?

Enlightenment...

I posted a message on the guestbook linked from the obituary and I was contacted by a friend of Tom's who was curious to know what it stands for.

All I can recall is that he used to go by EnlightenmentHK.

Please forgive, but I may PM some people who might know in addition to this posting.

Thanks,

LC,

You read my mind. I was just going to ask what EHK stood for myself. I guess I always just thought it was some sort of play on Kant (because of the "enlightenment" part) but then it really should have been IHK instead or EHK (duh). And even then I would have no idea what the "H" stood for as I have no idea what Immanuel Kant's middle name was. Unless the "E" stood for "enlightenment" and the "K" still stood for "Kant"? I don't know, this is just a completely wild-ass guess so if you do find out what it meant please post it or PM me :dunno:

Tom explained the EHK at one point on the old forum (where he was EnlightenmentHK). It had to do with a handle on a gaming site of some sort and was just his legacy name. No connection to Hong Kong. Wish I remembered more.

Those seeking a trip down nostalgia lane should read the first post here.

I've just bought Guns, Germs and Steel in his honour. The man was a colossus. Its funny how you can be touched by the passing of someone you'e never even met but I've been feeling down all day becasue of this. RIP man.

From time to time, I have been concerned for myself and the lack of emotion I feel when confronted with sad things. Like I’d steeled myself against hurtful things to the point that I could no longer feel sad when it was OK to do so. Yesterday I was disabused of that notion.

I had just finished making some cornball post somewhere when I noticed that EHK for Darwin had started a thread about EHK for Darwin subtitled EHK for Darwin, and I thought “What’s that crazy bastard up to now?â€

As I read the first post, my vision narrowed, ambient noise faded, and my face grew warm while my hands went cold. Nausea. It had been a long time since my heart was so far down in my chest. I posted whatever the hell I posted and had to go outside and have a cigarette.

As I sat outside and puffed away I wondered to myself “How in the world is this affecting me so strongly?†Why is the passing of someone who I never met in person so devastating? Is it because the loss of someone younger than I is not only tragic, but frightening as well? Is it because as dozens of people have said that a place where I spend so much time cannot ever be quite the same without him?

It finally hit me. You see, I was blessed by happenstance to have some free time and some booze to drink at the same time as Tom did and of course, we headed to the same place. Unfortunately, Westeros.org was down so I headed to chat. “Holy shit! EHK is in chat? What a treat!†I was almost disappointed to discover there would be no long rants, no anger, or zingers. It was just a couple of peeps hanging out and shooting the breeze. A couple of guys who’ve been reading each other’s words for four years and now could ask more intimate questions about each other’s lives and interests. Soon enough, it wasn’t EHK and Bones chatting, it was Tom and John.

And when I read the words of Lodey, who I have met in person, and know how passionate and sincere he is (I could see him saying what he wrote,) I finally did cry.

I’ll miss you brother.

Archived