RIP EHK

EHK for Darwin

Sad and shocking news. He was always one of the board's most prominent characters - something like 10,000 people joined the community in his time here and he was one of the best known posters in all those years, so much so that the What Grinds My Gears? thread became an EHK tribute by the end.

Lots to say on lots of topics, his anti-anti-smoking rants in particular say everything that needs to be said on that debate and his rants in general were often expert in playing devils advocate. And impressively eloquent, especially the cursing.

In person he was very friendly and lived up to his internet persona (not always the case when you meet people from the board). I remember him holding forth about hostels, public transport, the dangers of Amsterdam cafes, beer festivals - basically all the pros and cons of Europe as he saw it. A real loss to the BWB.

I got drunk on some IPAs he'll never see. Time for the beer-tears.

Tom's favorite singer, as best I can tell.

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.

but this motherfucker is in Valhalla.

Hey guys...

Just an FYI. I'm not sending the email out until at least tomorrow morning; I figured that would give people plenty of time to add their name.

Ran and I are also in the process of setting up a donation thingie for flowers. I will use my personal paypal account, so if anyone wants to transfer funds directly, my name is [email protected]. I believe Ran is setting up a ChipIn, as well, so there's both options to donate.

Looking at 1800Flowers, the price of a funeral wreath runs in between 130-400, depending on the type of flowers.(500 for a big big big one - Actually, is it wrong that this one made me chuckle?). I don't know what the delivery fee is. I will be looking into local florists later on today, after I wake up.

Thanks again,

Sarah

(john, nice to see you...sucks it takes this type of circumstance to see a lot of old faces around here.)

Hey guys...

Just an FYI. I'm not sending the email out until at least tomorrow morning; I figured that would give people plenty of time to add their name.

Ran and I are also in the process of setting up a donation thingie for flowers. I will use my personal paypal account, so if anyone wants to transfer funds directly, my name is [email protected]. I believe Ran is setting up a ChipIn, as well, so there's both options to donate.

Is one of these methods better than the other in terms of processing fees or whatever?

Also, please add my name if you haven't.

Sarah,

Laura knows how to use paypal so sending her your email link will get her to your paypal account?

It's really odd. I keep thinking that this has to be a joke that he's not really gone. It completely changes what it's like to come here and look at the board. I just don't quite know how to look at things now. The stupid crap I've gotten worked up about over the years seems really trivial compaired to EHK's life interrupted. I would never have believed this guy I argued with online could affect my life is such a profound way. But he did. He really did.

does anyone here have any website building skills? im thinking of a memorial page for Tom, pictures, quotes, what have you. something semi permanent in this online world of ours. let me know, ill gladly throw man hours or money or whatever is needed to back the undertaking.

I work in website production, so yeah I got the knowledge and skills to put something together. Buying a domain and the annual cost of running it would not be that much at all really, well, depending on what kind of address we want and what we want the site to do of course.

I've had a few ideas and could donate some time to this project, but I want to find out what others think. Would everyone like to see a website preserving EHKs greatest quotes? The greatest rants? Something that tries to capture the essence of who he was and what he meant to us?

Thoughts, ideas and encouragement please.

Sarah,

Laura knows how to use paypal so sending her your email link will get her to your paypal account?

It's really odd. I keep thinking that this has to be a joke that he's not really gone. It completely changes what it's like to come here and look at the board. I just don't quite know how to look at things now. The stupid crap I've gotten worked up about over the years seems really trivial compaired to EHK's life interrupted. I would never have believed this guy I argued with online could affect my life is such a profound way. But he did. He really did.

Hey Scot,

Yes. If you go to "Send Money" in the "My Account" tab, you can type in the email and I believe it will bring my account up.

I agree. Tom affected every last one of us. This is the very least I can do.

I work in website production, so yeah I got the knowledge and skills to put something together. Buying a domain and the annual cost of running it would not be that much at all really, well, depending on what kind of address we want and what we want the site to do of course.

I've had a few ideas and could donate some time to this project, but I want to find out what others think. Would everyone like to see a website preserving EHKs greatest quotes? The greatest rants? Something that tries to capture the essence of who he was and what he meant to us?

Thoughts, ideas and encouragement please.

Yes, I'd like to see this. I'd like to see some way of preserving his contributions to this board, and somewhere where people can post messages as in this thread.

I have some hosted webspace which already hosts the mafia board and writers board, but there's loads of spare space so I'd be happy to host an EHK website. Just an option anyway.

I'm really still so shocked about this, so I can't imagine how devastated his family and friends must be. My heart goes out to them.

My earliest memory of EKHwas probably in the 2003 time frame? Somehow, maybe in chat, I introduced him to a mostly conservative political board that I had just found. I didn't last any time at all, but another friend there said EKH was pretty much universally hated. :lol: I have no idea how long EKH stayed there.

I always thought EKH would have made a great libertarian...except for the fact that he hated libertarianism and libertarians. I recently started coming back to the board more often in the last month or so and one of the threads here that kept me returning was the Cigarettes in Indiana thread EKH started. I wish now I had offered to meet him in Indy to bring him a van-ful of Kentucky smokes.

Deepest sympathy to Tom's family and friends. He'll be sorely missed

~Carol

Mya-I've just sent some cash as well.

Well all of our friends and family that scoff at the notion of spending time on 'some book message board'. Screw you! This is a real community. We laugh, we cry, we get pissed off, we make up, we help each other, we fall in love, we move on, and we die. Just like any other community. And I'm pretty fucking happy and proud to be a part of it.

:cheers:

Sent something to help out, Sarah. Money isn't a heartfelt condolence, but hopefully what you choose to do with it will be.

Thanks,

J.

Guys, thank you so much for your donations. I've just purchased a beautiful arrangement (beautiful to me, that is) and sent it for the same day.

Tom's Arrangement

With the leftover money, I'm asking that his family give us the name of a charity to donate it to, or we can always send another arrangement.

Guys, thank you so much for your donations. I've just purchased a beautiful arrangement (beautiful to me, that is) and sent it for the same day.

Tom's Arrangement

With the leftover money, I'm asking that his family give us the name of a charity to donate it to, or we can always send another arrangement.

:thumbsup:

Archived