RIP EHK

EHK for Darwin

We just got confirmation that the flowers arrived. We're going through all the names via paypal now to make sure all who donated are included in our message (some double checking and such).

On a side note, I was really pushing for this display: Reagan would have been proud, but Sarah shot me down. :(

Thanks again everyone who's sent money so far.

I don't know what to say.

Sometimes, when we were discussing about a topic I knew I was on the same side of EHK, I waited before replying myself hoping that he would stand in and put my thoughts in a much better way that I would never be capable of. I had wished many times that I had his eloquence, his clarity of mind, his ability to make a point. I really would need him now.

Cause now I just don't now what to say other that what everuone else has: my deepest condolencences to the family. The world and the board has lost a great guy. :cry:

Edited to add: I'll never forget his rant at the end of BSG. Absolutely priceless. I don't think I'll ever watch again a series finale without thinking about him.

I missed the flower deadline, but I would still like to contribute money and can't find the ChipIn thing. Should I still send money to Mya?

Go ahead and send to Mya. I just closed the ChipIn, but if anyone wants their contribution to go towards whatever charity or organization his family suggests, I'd say send to her until she says otherwise.

Despite meeting Tom, I can't say we clicked or that I considered him a close friend, but he was a force of nature and managed to make me laugh, curse and react. I'm sure his provocative presence will be missed by all who knew him.

The internet and this board will be a quieter and more boring place, but I'm sure that those who knew him well and in 'real life' are going to feel his absence more than I can imagine.

I am glad to have known him.

damn i dont know what to say, EHK shurly was one would call a carracter, one who made every tread he posted inn a bit more "heated" and more funn read. he shurly helped us lurker to many innteresting rants for the past year and a half i have been here.

RIP

(Channeling my inner Jay Landsman)

We are boarders... and so was Tom.

He put up some good threads and dug a few bad ones. But the motherfucker had his moments, yes he did.

You remember the "You know what grinds my gears?' thread? He brought that one home.

Cigarettes in Indiana? That was EHK at his best.

General Chatter. 2008. Election threads. He took a lotta hot corners and cooled them.

He won much more than he lost... more than any of us...

(play the song, already!!!)

Did he piss off a mod of three? No fucking doubt. I think the last ones actually kinda got used to him, thank God!

Did he say the wrong shit now and then? Did he bust balls and cheat on his taxes and forget to call his mother and fuck over the wrong noob for the wrong fucking reason every now and then? Who fucking doesn't?

Was he as full o' shit as every other sad-sack motherfucker who read an GRRM book? Abso-fucking-lutely. His shit was as weak as ours, no question.

But EHK... Tom stood with us. All of us. On the board. Working. Sharing a dark corner of the American experiment...

Natural Poo-lice. Cuz brother, when you were good, you were the best we had.

He was called. He served. He is counted.

(toasts) To EHK.

His name was EHK.

He was a brave man, a good ranger.

He came to us from Chicagoland, and never failed in his duty.

He kept his vows the best he could, rode far, fought fiercely.

We shall never see his like again.

And now his watch is ended.

Mya-I've just sent some cash as well.

Well all of our friends and family that scoff at the notion of spending time on 'some book message board'. Screw you! This is a real community. We laugh, we cry, we get pissed off, we make up, we help each other, we fall in love, we move on, and we die. Just like any other community. And I'm pretty fucking happy and proud to be a part of it.

:cheers:

Me too, LP.

Random thoughts...

Whew, how close we came to never knowing what became of him. If he hadn't left his computer open to this board, Chris would never have found this site and we'd have had postings in the "whatever happened to..." thread about EHK.

I wonder if he knew how much people admired him. I hope so.

I loved his rant about Kellhus from the "Prince of Nothing" series. He hated that dude! I can't remember the exact terms he used, (not being as eloquent), but I'm sure it involved butt-fucking that miserable mother-fucker (or words to that effect.)

Strange to say, but I'm torn between sadness and laughter when I think of him.

(Channeling my inner Jay Landsman)

He was called. He served. He is counted.

(toasts) To EHK.

Amen.

I think I finally caved and watched The Wire thanks to EHK's constant harping on about it. That's one I owe him.

I remember some time around '01-'02 some college kid whose name I recognized, but read indifferently, posted a thread titled "I Am A Golden God" because he had successfully pulled off an all nighter. For his presumption that he was "a Golden God", for doing something that all of us who are college grads have done at one time or another (really it is no accomplishment to be smart here. It is just the price of admission), we gave him a sound verbal beating that would have driven a person of smaller ego and less personal fortitude away.

Instead he took it gracefully and continued posting, always brash, often all guts and little brains. But as the years rolled on, he kept the swagger, while the intelligence that was always evident underneath the bombast came more and more to the fore.

His style was incredibly hyperbolic, his amp ALWAYS set on 11. Normally, hyperbole only annoys me as it tends to damage civil discourse. But in his case, it only made me laugh more, even as he held to ridicule beliefs I hold dear. Funny, after all, is still funny, even when it hurts.

Tom, we never met. I'm not sure we would have gotten along or hit it off. But, I actually shed a tear when I read of your passing. Passion, real passion, is a gift. A rare and beautiful gift. And you possessed any ten other people's share of it. It was a real pleasure to see you grow so much in such a short period of time. We and most of all you have been robbed of seeing the great heights of achievment I am sure awaited you.

Chris, my deepest sympathies to you and your family. This community feels this loss, but not nearly as much as you and those who knew and loved him well. I hope you can take comfort in how much regard we had for Tom.

Best,

Greg

Archived