RIP EHK

EHK for Darwin

Wow like everyone else who has posted here I'm deeply sadden by his passing. He was one of the greats of this board. My main connect with him was to send him a PMs saying he said what I wanted to but better then I ever could.

Wow, shocking news.

I didnt know EHK very well but his posts were always so passionate and he always had an opinion to argue. He'll be missed.

Chris, my condolences to your family, and thank you for letting us know.

This is unbelievable. I actually googled today's date to make sure it wasn't some kind of secondary April Fool's Day or something.

I recall getting into it a few times with EHK in various threads, but have always respected his posts and this really is terrible news. The board won't be the same without him.

Condolences to his family and RIP EHK

This is really sad news.

Chris, instead of saying what I thought of him (it would be voicing already-said opinions) I'd like to step back and point out that everyone seems to be saying the same thing. He must have had monumental life in him to leave such a strong and consistent impression on us all. A true loss to everyone.

I only ever really posted conversations with him once or twice, but I was impressed with the power he was able to argue with, and the astounding breadth of knowledge he always seemed to have handy.

Jesus, I'm stunned. Tom was one of the boarders I would have really liked to meet, and one of the best reads in any thread, on any subject. I don't really know what to say. Terrible news.

Chris, I am so sorry for your loss; he will be missed by many here as well.

Guest thebadlady

I heard back from Chris regarding the services - if any Chicagoish people are interested, send me a PM and I will share the information.

The cause of death is unknown at this point, but Chris said he would let us know when the family learns more.

There are a lot of great people here, but no one managed to make me feel the kind of general disgust AND enthusiasm for politics and world affairs like EHK did. EHK was one of the first board members I ever sent a PM to; I had been laughing and thanking him for the endless rants he would post, tearing apart everything the media or a politician tried feeding the public. He was something of an online idol to me.

The amount of energy and passion offered up with each and every post always balanced out with knowledge and his understanding of things. Tom had no need to make things up. Never hesitated to jump into a discussion if he had an opinion on it. It didn't matter which side he was on, he always offered that opinion to you straight, for better or for worse.

He was brilliant, he was a bastard, and he will be sorely, sorely missed.

My condolences and gratitude,

Mike

When I saw the thread title and saw that it was started by his own username, I thought it was a joke (albeit in bad taste). I thought maybe he was fed up with the board and leaving it in his usual grand style. But to open the thread and find otherwise is... well, shocking to say the least.

I certainly didn't agree with him on any number of things (and did agree with him on quite a few things as well), but there's not a soul on this board who could dispute that EHK was was of the most impassioned and eloquent people this board has seen. And since most of us initially come to this board to learn the opinions and viewpoints of others, it was a joy to keep coming to this board and reading EHK's take on things, whether you disagreed with him or not. Like someone else said, it's weird to miss someone you've never met, but I guess we do it all the time with celebrities and other notable figures that leave us on a regular basis.

And if there's such a thing as a board celebrity (and I mean it in a good way), EHK certainly was one.

My condolences and - even though he would've probably hated the thought - prayers go out to his loved ones.

I'm shocked.

:( I'm so sorry. I've only been on these boards for a short period of time, but I always stopped to read EHK's posts no matter how much we disagreed. I wish I had better words regarding your (our) terrible loss.

Wow. Condolences to your family, Chris. I will miss Tom's presence on the board and in chat. This is shocking news.

I've heard it said that any sort of political movement relies on two completely different types of people: those who are active, loud, passionate, and stubborn; and those who are more moderate, polite, and willing to make concessions. EHK was definitely one of the former--the epitome of someone who won't tolerate any sort of bullshit--and his death will leave a gaping hole in any discussion. I will forever fill in that blank in my mind with, "What would EHK say here?" Even those who disagreed with his opinions or his style could learn something from his passion. I didn't know him that well personally, but I consider it an honor to have known him.

Archived