RIP EHK

EHK for Darwin

*drank some fine American craft beer in honor*

Ditto. Had a bunch of American microbrews, and poured some Arrogant Bastard out for him tonight. Seemed fitting.

If everything went according to plan, Tom, you won't know that, but we miss you all the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Over the last few weeks I have been putting in a lot of work towards getting more content ready for the EHK website. I have been going through the 106 pages of EHK posts from this board that I saved down in text format and arranging posts into separate topics ready to start coding into webpages.

I just reached a milestone mark having gone through exactly half of the pages, 53 down, 53 to go.

The first fruits of my labour can now be seen on enlightenmenthk.net with this classic thread on Piracy. Enjoy.

Flame wars aren't as fun for me as they used to be (I guess I matured some. Yah right!), but I got into my first flame war in over a year the other day on another message board, and I thought of EHK and the arguments we used to get into. He was the best of the best at them.

Usually time heals most wounds, and I figured it'd be the same with EHK's passing and the board would move on, but it really hasn't IMO. Maybe it's just me, but this place really isn't the same without him.

Fuck it sucks not having him around. I miss the flame wars we used to get into in the MMA and boxing threads. Gonna crack open my first beer in months tonight, cuz I thought of him. I'm not a big beer connoisseur (usually just Bud and Heineken, but will make it something dark and german or whatever in his honor.

• 5 weeks later...
How come this thread is no longer stickied?

Time passes and things move on, basically. Ser MG has the memorial site going now, and much as we might want to keep a permanent memorial here to each of those we've lost, that's sadly not practical.

Mormont,

Time passes and things move on, basically. Ser MG has the memorial site going now, and much as we might want to keep a permanent memorial here to each of those we've lost, that's sadly not practical.

Ah, makes sense, I suppose. Thanks for the explanation.

• 7 months later...

I just had one of those moments when I glanced down to see who else was on the board and gave myself a start because I thought EHK was there. His board ghost lingers around and tricks me sometimes. So, I decided to go reminisce on the memorial page. I always loved his smoking rants - back then I was still a loyal Basics Full Flavor smoker and it always filled me with pride whenever he would throw in on the smoking subject.

I wonder sometimes what he would think about how the smoking bans are so widespread these days. And the number of smokers has dropped dramatically, at least in the town where I live. Do you think he would've quit by now? He'd be in his 30s, so maybe he would've considered quitting with a little more seriousness; it wasn't until I hit my 30s that I started thinking maybe I really actually need to take care of myself instead of running myself into the ground.

The only reason I even question the possibility is because 1) it happened with me, and 2) he approached the subject with the zeal of fervid, rebellious youth, something that in other people often fades with age. Do you think it's possible?

If EHK quit smoking I think the board would break for good.

I still believe to this day that EHK could of made a killing being a political commentator. He had it all... Impassioned views, a clear guiding compass, a "I don't give a flying fuck what you think" mentality, and one of the best senses of humour I ever had the privilege to observe.

RIP EHK.

I get a little bit sad whenever I see a licence plate with EHK on it.

I've been thinking about EHK a lot as the HBO show gets closer. I know he loved well-made tv shows in general and HBO shows in particular, and I feel sad that he never got to see this project. I would love to hear his commentary, both positive and especially negative. :) It also saddens me that we don't get to see him pwn some n00bs around here. He was a master.

• 2 years later...

I know last year someone started a separate thread, but I cannot find it, and this one still exists. If a mod feels we'd be better served by starting a new one instead, feel free to port my post over, but I'd hate to think of this thread getting purged eventually.

It's been four years now, since EHK passed. Holy hell. I remember with a sick feeling reading the first post in this thread like it was yesterday. Rest in Peace to one of the personalities who defined this board. We still miss you, and remember you.

A lot of EHK's posts and whatnot have been collected here by MountainGoat, if you care to check them out; I don't know if anything can really convey the man in the full context of a discussion, but many of you never had the chance to experience him at all, which makes me sad.

I still remember the numb feeling as I read the words. I didn't know how to process the loss of someone that I'd never met, but still felt connected to. Four years on, I still don't totally know. :(

Rant on.

I still remember the numb feeling as I read the words. I didn't know how to process the loss of someone that I'd never met, but still felt connected to. Four years on, I still don't totally know. :(

Rant on.

This. I never knew i could be so effected by it, but I was.

Archived