Production design

According to random googling whilst investigating the whole Sean Bean thing, I came across this nugget that says the production designer on GoT is Gemma Jackson, whose previous credits include John Adams and Finding Neverland, both of which had some pretty cool design going on, or so I remember.

Not much to add to that, except I think that's info that hasn't cropped up before.

I wonder if they're going to be looking at things like the map of King's Landing from the limited ACoK or Ted Nasmith's paintings of the castles to get some ideas? It would be cool for them to use some of the art resources available in determining the look of things.

Watched a number of episodes of Cadfael last month. I was thinking those sets and props would be perfect for GoT.

True, but they've probably been long since sold off or thrown away by now.

True, but they've probably been long since sold off or thrown away by now.

Whenever possible, props, costumes and sometimes even parts of sets go into storage for the next production to come along, assuming they are sufficiently 'generic' enough. The LotR props are pretty specific in design and detail, so it's unlikely you will see much of that getting reused - and I don't think WETA would let that happen. I suspect they kept a lot of it for 'The Hobbit,' and I know Peter Jackson kept the Hobbiton sets (especially Bag End) in storage for just that purpose. I've never seen 'Cadfael,' but I bet a lot of what they used came from prior productions, too.

But when a production makes 100 or 500 suits of generic armor for a movie army, be assured they are kept in a warehouse somewhere for the next production to come along that might need 50 or whatever of them. So long as the stuff is authentic enough, I doubt any of us would ever know that someone's armor used in GoT was repurposed from some other movie.

With speculation mounting that Game of Thrones will re-use some of Your Highness' sets, this BBC Northern Ireland news report about that movie's production will be of interest (might be viewable only by UK viewers though). They show how much detail they are exerting on the sets and what impact the Paint Hall studios and its projects are having on the surrounding economy. AGoT is also obliquely mentioned (as a 'big American TV series' that will be using the studios after shooting on the film wraps).

With speculation mounting that Game of Thrones will re-use some of Your Highness' sets, this BBC Northern Ireland news report about that movie's production will be of interest (might be viewable only by UK viewers though). They show how much detail they are exerting on the sets and what impact the Paint Hall studios and its projects are having on the surrounding economy. AGoT is also obliquely mentioned (as a 'big American TV series' that will be using the studios after shooting on the film wraps).

I'm in the U.S., Werthead, and was able to open your link just fine. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

WiC has a new post about the production offices opening and pre-production now apparently getting underway.

This is interesting news. I have two friends who are working as extras on Your Highness, and apparently are still days or maybe a couple of weeks from shooting their bits. It sounds to me like the production of that film is going to roll into September quite easily, and we know officially that it doesn't wrap until literally just days before GoT starts shooting.

With the strong rumours that GoT will be re-using Your Highness' sets and props, I'm wondering if this is only the case for the pilot? So for the pilot they get to use the pre-existing backdrops and sets but if they get a pick-up they will reshoot everything on their own, custom-built sets? That seems to make more sense, as HBO seem to prefer building their own sets and facilities, often on a huge scale (see also Rome, Deadwood etc) than simply using pre-existing stuff.

WiC has a new post about the production offices opening and pre-production now apparently getting underway.

This is interesting news. I have two friends who are working as extras on Your Highness, and apparently are still days or maybe a couple of weeks from shooting their bits. It sounds to me like the production of that film is going to roll into September quite easily, and we know officially that it doesn't wrap until literally just days before GoT starts shooting.

I wonder if the two week delay in filming recently announced by GRRM is partly to due to Your Highness running a bit behind schedule?

With the strong rumours that GoT will be re-using Your Highness' sets and props, I'm wondering if this is only the case for the pilot? So for the pilot they get to use the pre-existing backdrops and sets but if they get a pick-up they will reshoot everything on their own, custom-built sets? That seems to make more sense, as HBO seem to prefer building their own sets and facilities, often on a huge scale (see also Rome, Deadwood etc) than simply using pre-existing stuff.

To add to those strong rumors, Belfast-area extra Rimshot, had this to say after his first day on set of Highness as an extra.

Regarding GOT, from what I have seen at the paint hall (I had a good walk around the various departments yesterday) I am increasingly of the opinion that GOT will use sets/props/costumes from YH and I can tell you they are of a very high quality. My costume, which was made for me, is very impressive and one of the best I've worn.

It really is in good hands.

Your supposition that it would be for the pilot only is a good guess. Certainly keeps the initial pilot investment cost down on HBO's end. Once it goes to series I'm sure HBO will spend the money necessary to get their own sets, costumes, etc. Plus, once it goes to series, BBC will start chipping in financially as well.

So all signs point to the Your Highness stuff being used for pilot filming only. Of course that means that once the series order is received it is going to be another long pre-production phase with many more roles to be cast, lot of sets to be built and costumes and props created. Oh, and they would likely have to re-shoot much of the pilot episode to use the 'real' Winterfell set.

I see from a British article that West German Oliver Bokelberg will be cinematographer. I took a look at IMDB and he certainly does have a long list of credits!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0092575/

(The original source = http://www.fantasybookreview.co.uk/blog/20...ame-of-thrones/

I've seen that too but I do not know if it is right and they don't list any kind of source for that information. I think they assumed it was so because another article notes that Bokelberg worked on McCarthy's two movies, but it did not say he would be doing this film:

McCarthy directed "The Station Agent" and "The Visitor", both visually arresting films lensed by the same cinematographer, Oliver Bokelberg.

I believe this article was the source for the Fantasy Book Review article. I haven't been able to find any official announcement of this information, and Bokleberg's own website doesn't mention it yet, either.

It may yet be true, since McCarthy obviously likes to work with the guy, but that doesn't mean HBO or Dave & Dan will approve him or don't have other ideas about who should shoot it.

Makes sense. Although I do see that at IMDB when you look at his profile, it also refers you to Sean Bean being cast as Ned.

That's the same Monster's & Critics article I linked which mentions his name, but doesn't specifically say he's lensing the show.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to follow up on this, Oliver Bokelberg is not involved in the production (this from the horse's mouth -- Mr. Bokelberg himself). The original article that just threw out a mention of him was just ... well, weird.

Archived