Production design

I think maybe that's for editing the final finished product and start doing effects at that stage, if it goes to series? I'm thinking they will do a cut of the trailer in-house, or some such thing, and this other post house will come on board and start doing rendering in February for dragons, the opening credits, King's Landing and castles and such only later. It sounds like they are a full service house doing all that sort of thing, so it would be much more than just editing, I think. They'll be shooting Oct-Nov, then probably editing into December on the pilot. A decision could come December, I hope? Early January?

Huzzah, winter will come! Editing in house makes way more sense, seemed strange to go outside for a pilot. So with the turnaround they could possibly be shooting the actual series in early spring and the show could be on in the summer/autumn 2010, if they really go forth and not sit on it. Most likely autumn, although it would be better to have it come out in July following True Blood.

Oh, I wish I was editing still- would be fun to work on this show, even if I had to move to California.

So the idea here is that HBO's hired Modern VideoFilm to do the final polish and the like that would be necessary for airing the pilot? Would they really do that before they give the show the greenlight? I suppose it could be tenative scheduling for February, which they can break off if the show doesn't go forward.

So the idea here is that HBO's hired Modern VideoFilm to do the final polish and the like that would be necessary for airing the pilot? Would they really do that before they give the show the greenlight? I suppose it could be tenative scheduling for February, which they can break off if the show doesn't go forward.

What I was saying is maybe they do a cut in-house from which to base their decision upon, enough for the execs to look at and decide what is and isn't working, etc. If/when the show gets the greenlight, then I think this other house takes over as the main post facility for the whole series (including doing the final polish on the pilot). It just doesn't make sense to wait so long to do post work on something that is shot in Oct.-Nov. The execs will be looking at dailies anyway probably the day after it's shot (that's why they're called dailies).

I would think that some effects and such would have been done for the pilot to make a decision, though. I don't know, maybe they have been working on that part already too. Usually for something that has a fair bit of effects they start before photography starts because some of it can take so long. Also, they will want to gauge the look and quality of these things, and their cost. The effects for the pilot are probably limited to the Others (however they plan on doing them), the opening credits (which they maybe don't need to see or maybe there's a specific house doing that separately - some companies specialize in just doing credit sequences), and some rendered buildings and other scenery, perhaps.

A rough cut, without effects, can be done just weeks after the shoot maybe. How close to a final cut of this do the HBO execs think they need to see to make their decision? I have no idea.

A rough cut, without effects, can be done just weeks after the shoot maybe. How close to a final cut of this do the HBO execs think they need to see to make their decision? I have no idea.

I think the execs only need a rough cut to make a decision. They understand what it is, and if they know the post house to do quality effects they don't need to see them for the pilot viewing. They're probably more interested if the show has what they're looking for, and as you said they have the dailies as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Over at our Game of Thrones news site (still under construction to some degree), Linda and I have pulled together information following our discovery that Julia Frey, a VFX producer who has worked with Rainmark (a production company associated with the pilot) in the past, has been blogging her location scouting efforts.

Over at our Twitter page, I've dropped some random little notes from what I've gleaned, like the fact that the Scottish castle Louie Pastore was referring to looks like it'll be Doune Castle, and a link to Julia's post showing a set from Kingdom of Heaven that's still standing in Morocco and is being reused for the pilot.

Exciting stuff!

One of my friends raised a concern about if Julia Frey could get in trouble for this. Looking carefully I don't think so: she never mentions the show by name, never confirms that the locations they're visiting are 100% locked or are just potential locations, and absolutely never shows any pictures of actual purpose-built sets, props or costumes, just the publicly-accessible locations. I also suspect we won't see any information or pictures leak out once filming starts. HBO are pretty strict about their closed sets and NDAs, as I understand it.

Yeah, if anything I suspect that Your Industry Insider web page would be the ones to get in trouble since they linked the blog to Game of Thrones. Without that we may have never found it since, as you say, she never mentions the show by name.

I do hope she doesn't stop posting though. She mentioned at least another round of Belfast scouting and I would be curious to see that one. Once filming begins though, yeah, she may not be able to post much.

From the blog:

We headed back to the hotel to clean up a bit and on the way, made dinner plans with the director, his assistant, the two writer/producers, the production designer, one of the main producers, myself and Robert (the FX Supervisor)

We know who most of those people are already. I'm betting that the Robert she is talking about is Robert Stromberg. He worked as VFX supervisor with Frey on a bunch of films, including The Aviator, Memoirs of a Geisha, and Walk The Line.

If so that is another feather in the cap for the production team as Stromberg has won multiple Emmys and was nominated for an Oscar and a BAFTA award.

From the blog:

We know who most of those people are already. I'm betting that the Robert she is talking about is Robert Stromberg. He worked as VFX supervisor with Frey on a bunch of films, including The Aviator, Memoirs of a Geisha, and Walk The Line.

If so that is another feather in the cap for the production team as Stromberg has won multiple Emmys and was nominated for an Oscar and a BAFTA award.

Do we know who's doing costuming yet? The one thing I'd love to see most is some form Westerosi armor / clothes brought to life - if for no other reason than to see what direction they're going in, period wise, and what liberties they've taken, artistically.

You'd have to think, by now, they're doing fittings and stuff for the cast, which means the costume designs have already been mostly nailed down. GRRM never says a damned thing about seeing this or that costume, banner, etc.

Dunno about anyone else, but I'm curious!

BTW, Kingdom of Heaven: Ridley Scott's Film and the History Behind the Story has some nice information about production facilities and sets in Ouarzazate. The Jersualem exterior set was massive, stretching 575 long, with 35 foot walls and 48 to54 foot towers. It's double-sided, with the other side having been used for the Krak des Chevaliers scenes in the film (and which ought to be handy if the series continues on and makes it as far as the fourth season; doubtless they'd be useful for Dorne).

Over at our Game of Thrones news site (still under construction to some degree), Linda and I have pulled together information following our discovery that Julia Frey, a VFX producer who has worked with Rainmark (a production company associated with the pilot) in the past, has been blogging her location scouting efforts.

I don't know if I would trust her blog, she is a Frey afterall...

Since she is a VFX person, I guess she went along to look at the locations she will need to composite with other shots? Probably we'll be seeing these locations and sets combined with some other CGI backdrops, much like they did (very successfully) in "John Adams."

I know Doune Castle most likely won't be used as the Twins but I still find it humorous that it has already seen a "Red Wedding," of sorts.

It's only a model... ;)

It might be slightly odd watching the TV series if it uses a lot of shots of Doune Castle, since I might keep thinking of quotes from Holy Grail at inappropriate moments. From what I remember of the castle they used it quite thoroughly in Holy Grail so there won't be many parts of it they can film that won't have been in some scene in Holy Grail.

Looking at Frey's blog just now, I was amused to see on the side there was a box saying her current Facebook status was:

Oh Man, I have Fantasy Fiction Stalkers!

I think she may have noticed that people noticed she was working on aGoT.

I noticed that too. Heh. Obviously it'd be a bit ... disorienting for someone who's behind-the-scenes to suddenly have rabid fans invading her website and publicizing random blog posts.

It's only a model... ;)

It might be slightly odd watching the TV series if it uses a lot of shots of Doune Castle, since I might keep thinking of quotes from Holy Grail at inappropriate moments. From what I remember of the castle they used it quite thoroughly in Holy Grail so there won't be many parts of it they can film that won't have been in some scene in Holy Grail.

I guess this is why I had a problem with filming in the U.K. and Ireland. So many estates and castles have been in film and TV, so many times, that we have a collective memory of them. I thought filming in eastern europe was a more interesting alternative, but that has it's own set of issues...

Archived