Cast of Game of Thrones: Sean Bean confirmed

NoSpeakEnglish

How immature am I that I was amused by Parris's Mr. Bean?

Meh, you people have no sense of humor.

In any case, excellent finds. The little Joffrey kid looked cute in Batman Begins, hopefully he'll look cute in this. (It's my belief that the actress who plays Cersei [as well as the one playing Joffrey] needs to be incredibly charming and sweet, so that when she isn't it's scarier. It's why Reese Witherspoon would have been brilliant as Cersei.) I want a scary Joffrey.

The only way this could get any better is if we get John Malkovich for Varys, John Simm as Littlefinger, and Alan Moore as Aeron Targaryen (I know he's an author, but he'd be so perfect...)

At GRRM's Not A Blog, he says the deal 'took some doing' re the casting of Sean Bean, and that his fingers have been crossed for a month. Wonder what that 'took some doing' was all about? I mean, if it was just 'how much will you pay me, how many days/weeks work does this entail' etc etc, well, every deal for every actor revolves around those issues, but not all of them 'take some doing' to accomplish. I'd love to know some of details that had to be resolved in order to get Sean, but alas, I suppose we'll never know...

This is pretty amazing news, if you ask me. I was dreaming about Sean Bean as Ned, but I thought it highly unlikely that such a big name would sign up for something that was in its infancy as far as being conceived as a tv series is concerned.

If there is one actor I feel 100% confident can deliver the role of Ned with the right amount of pathos, severity and restrained and repressed emotions while still coming off as the good guy, it's Sean Bean.

I mostly disliked the casting choices in LotR, but Bean as Boromir completely stole FotR (In my opinion, Gandalf, Saruman and Eowyn were also well cast).

I recognise Mark Addy's face, and from the pictures, it looks like he can make a great Robert. Hard to argue when Martin and Parris both agree as well :).

The other choices definitely have the right look(s) as well. I'm thrilled that so far, there has not been one casting choice that has made me go "really?" or "ugh...", which there usually is, at least if the source material is something I really care about.

Talk about exceeding expectations!

Pretty sure that if this won't get picked up with Bean and Dinklage, it just won't get picked up at all. Awesome news.

The one I'm most interested in is Joff. Can't wait to see that cute, effeminate looking little kid be an evil little bastard. :cheers:

I really hope they get a good Dany. I think it's as important as a good Ned and Tyrion, and an extremely difficult role to play.

Great casting news! Everyone they have cast really looks the part. The guy playing Viserys got the sneer down when he was in Dr Who a couple of years ago, and Harrington looks pretty much perfect for Jon (The fact he's doing theatre suggests he can probably act too).

Mark Addy is the only one I'm a bit "Meh" over. I think he'll perfectly capture wshed up jolly old drunk Robert but I'll have a hard time believing he was one of the fiercest warriors in Westeros. He is a grest actor though, so I'm hoping he'll be able to convey a sense of menace when neccessary.

Mark Addy is the only one I'm a bit "Meh" over. I think he'll perfectly capture wshed up jolly old drunk Robert but I'll have a hard time believing he was one of the fiercest warriors in Westeros.

I agree. Plus with they'll need to recast Robert for any flashbacks whereas Sean Bean could probably pull off a "young" Ned

I agree. Plus with they'll need to recast Robert for any flashbacks whereas Sean Bean could probably pull off a "young" Ned

I don't know about that. Bean is already fifteen years older than the present day 'book' Ned, so getting him to pull off a twenty year old version is asking a bit much. They'll need to recast both roles for any flashbacks, I'd think.

Yeah, a shaved Sean Bean with a little make-up could easily be a young Ned. I've always pictured Ned with a world weary tiredness in his voice and expression, even in his young years, and Bean certainly is good at nailing that.

If you're meaning for the rebellion, then Bean definitely can't pull off that young (what, 30 years less?). It's hardly difficult to get a couple of young actors in. They shouldn't even need much dialogue, if any. If it really bothers them, and they're casting Renly, then they could just save on $$ and use him, given he's supposed to look very much like Robert at the same age. But I suspect somehow it's not really going to factor into their concerns.

At GRRM's Not A Blog, he says the deal 'took some doing' re the casting of Sean Bean, and that his fingers have been crossed for a month.

Based on a couple small things I have heard, if I had to guess, it may have (partly) something to do with schedules. Bean might be busy around that time of year.

I agree that the flashback thing isn't a concern at all. I don't expect them to have a lot of flashbacks and if they ever do something like the Tower of Joy, well, that is supposed to be all "dreamy" anyhow, so not focusing on Ned would work. Armour is useful also to hide people in.

All you'd need for Robert, anyhow, is a giant man in armour with antlers on the helm. You wouldn't need to see any more than his eyes for things like the Rhaegar/Robert scene.

I was thinking about this actually. If Addy can't pull off younger, fit, warrior Robert in the flashbacks, you could use the actor for Renly with a little make-up/prosthetics, or something, since the two were suposed to look so much alike when younger. Just a thought.

This is pretty amazing news, if you ask me. I was dreaming about Sean Bean as Ned, but I thought it highly unlikely that such a big name would sign up for something that was in its infancy as far as being conceived as a tv series is concerned.

If there is one actor I feel 100% confident can deliver the role of Ned with the right amount of pathos, severity and restrained and repressed emotions while still coming off as the good guy, it's Sean Bean.

Agree on all points.

Sean Bean adds a legitimacy to the series it may not have had otherwise. Additionally when the most recognizable actor is offed midway through season one, further reinforces what we all love about Martin: nothing is sacred.

Awesome! My source was right. :)

Great news. Even the (more or less) unknowns sound perfect. Good to hear from Parris that Addy gets their vote of confidence. I only know him as the guy from Still Standing, so it will be weird seeing him as Robert. Maybe if that audition video was posted online that would help get me in the right frame of mind? ;)

All in all, very exciting stuff. Can't wait to hear more!

Archived