Cast of Game of Thrones: Sean Bean confirmed

NoSpeakEnglish

Sean Bean being a name, a fan favourite and an overall more than decent actor, was from the get-go (one of) the best possible choice(s) for Ned. Not a big surprise, but certainly happy he signed on: A Lotr connection could benefit AGOT in the same way Goodfellas and Saving Private Ryan did for the Sopranos and Band of Brothers, respectively.

Addy (didn’t know he did theatre) has never crossed my mind as Robert. I - as probably many others- have mostly seen him in comedic roles, so I’m gonna have to put my faith in the producers. My hope is this will turn out like Ed O’Neill in John from Cincinnati, who not only pulled off the role, but in doing so became one of my favourite characters on the show.

Not much I can say about Harington, Lloyd and Gleeson other than based on looks they seem good choices.

I wonder how contract details are worked out for shows like this, when no one involved knows whether its going to even get past a pilot, let alone a whole season, let alone a multi-year series. I mean, the actor for Jon Snow for example. Surely, HBO required him to commit to how ever many months, seasons, years the series might run, which means he'd have to turn down other work while he's waiting to find out if HBO will continue to need his services long term. But in that process, he'd be turning away what might be great roles, only to find out later that GoT is cancelled and he's out of work. Hmmm, wonder how they work all that out?

Holy crap! This is awesome. I think Bean and Addy will be perfect. I've never seen Lloyd before, but based on the praise he's gotten here on the board already he'll probably do just fine. I'm so excited it's a little pathetic.

As for comedic actors playing dramatic roles, they do that kind of thing all the time on the show Mad Men, and it seems to work out perfectly, so I'm not worried in the least.

I wonder how contract details are worked out for shows like this

Parties involved have a lot of freedom with regards to the content (obligations) of their contracts. With that said there's no telling what sort of clauses they might actually contain.

I imagine the actors agree to sign on to the pilot with a one-sided option (held by HBO) for, let's say, two additional seasons. If the pilot goes to series, the actors would then be contractually obliged to stay on and remain available for two seasons; if it doesn't get picked up HBO wouldn't lift the option and the actors are free to go about their merry ways.

This is very cost effective since you then wouldn't have to buy-out expensive multi-season deals if the project never goes to air, gets canceled prematuely or if you want to replace certain actors (pre-series).

EDIT: spelling & spaces

Yeah, he's great in that episode of Dr. Who, which is one of a two-parter. They are two of the best episodes ever done on that show and were nominated for Hugo Awards (I think they lost to another Dr. Who episode, Blink).

I wonder how contract details are worked out for shows like this, when no one involved knows whether its going to even get past a pilot, let alone a whole season, let alone a multi-year series. I mean, the actor for Jon Snow for example. Surely, HBO required him to commit to how ever many months, seasons, years the series might run, which means he'd have to turn down other work while he's waiting to find out if HBO will continue to need his services long term. But in that process, he'd be turning away what might be great roles, only to find out later that GoT is cancelled and he's out of work. Hmmm, wonder how they work all that out?

Parties involved have a lot of freedom with regards to the content (obligations) of their contracts. With that said there's no telling what sort of clauses they might actually contain.

I imagine the actors agree to sign on to the pilot with a one-sided option (held by HBO) for, let's say, two additional seasons. If the pilot goes to series, the actors would then be contractually obliged to stay on and remain available for two seasons; if it doesn't get picked up HBO wouldn't lift the option and the actors are free to go about their merry ways.

This is very cost effective since you then wouldn't have to buy-out expensive multi-season deals if the project never goes to air, gets canceled prematuely or if you want to replace certain actors (pre-series).

Graegor is basically right about how these things work. When you do a pilot, you are obligated to not take other work until it's known if it will be picked up or that you will be replaced, which does happen (there is reasonable limit on that, though, so they can't just keep a pilot 'in development' forever and you can't work ever again - that would basically be slavery, probably). The truth is, most actors, especially lesser known or unknown actors, would be overjoyed to commit to a gigantic series like this that could run for 7 years. Now, I don't think the contracts go for 7 years, usually, because in most cases there is a chance after two or three seasons for everybody to renegotiate their contracts. If the show is a big hit, by the end they will likely be making quite a lot of money for this show (I know the Sopranos actors made very good money, by the end).

Also, the way HBO shows work, there is usually enough time to do other projects in between seasons, like movies or Broadway/West End plays. I know Edie Falco did "Frankie & Johnny" on Broadway (to strong reviews) back in 2002, when The Sopranos was still very much on the air.

The only good picture I can find of Jack Gleeson is from Batman Begins. He looks REALLY young there - the movie was only 4 years ago, but perhaps he's grown up a lot since. I will assume they've taken all considerations into it in casting the role. I'm not certain how old he actually is.

According to the commentators on his IMDB entry, he was 'really' a very small 14-year-old at the time of Batman Begins. I'm not sure I believe that, he looks more like a 7 or 8-year-old in that picture.

That's my sole concern over the casting news. If Joffrey is 5-6 years younger than Robb and Jon, and if the actor is 10+ years younger, it makes the scene where he challenges Robb to combat completely nonsensical. I suppose they can drop the scene and it is more important he's of an age with Sansa than Robb, but it's a pretty good scene, not just for Joffrey and Robb but for Sandor and Rodrick as well. Also, having Joffrey and Robb confronting one another directly adds an element to their longer-ranged enmity later on.

If you're meaning for the rebellion, then Bean definitely can't pull off that young (what, 30 years less?). It's hardly difficult to get a couple of young actors in. They shouldn't even need much dialogue, if any. If it really bothers them, and they're casting Renly, then they could just save on $ and use him, given he's supposed to look very much like Robert at the same age. But I suspect somehow it's not really going to factor into their concerns.

The rebellion is 'only' 15 years earlier, not 30. Bean could probably (just about with make-up assistance) pull off being 30-35, so maybe Addy could as well. If they do flashbacks, then Ned only really appears in the scene where he rides his horse into the throne room and sneers down at Jaime (which, frankly, would be brilliant to see on screen) and in the Tower of Joy sequence, which is a weirded-out dream sequence anyway. Does Robert really have any iconic flashback scenes? When he kills Rhaegar he's in full armour and could be played by a different actor. Maybe the bit where the corpses of the children are laid before him and Ned goes off on one, but that could be done verbally rather than with a visual flashback.

Nothing extra to add, but that everyone looks perfect for their characters and I'm blown away at the talent being assembled.

Addy looks fine for Robert. Whenever I think of Robert, I picture the drunk, loudmouthed but bighearted friar in Kevin Costner's "Robin Hood". That may actually have been this Addy cat, now that I think about it.

So stoked!

According to the commentators on his IMDB entry, he was 'really' a very small 14-year-old at the time of Batman Begins. I'm not sure I believe that, he looks more like a 7 or 8-year-old in that picture.

People over at WiC have been doing some digging, and apparently he is indeed 17 now. They've also found some clips and pictures of him in more recent movies, and I can see it better from those, definitely. Since Joff is supposed to be an over-sized 13 year old at the beginning of GoT, this should work. He's supposed to be almost as big as Robb and Jon Snow when they are in the practice yard at Winterfell.

Clip of Harry Lloyd

This guy could do Viserys for sure! He looks both evil and half-mad.

I got goosebumps!

Whoa that guy has some seriously creepy eyes man. :stunned: Good pick!

Sean Bean... blah blah blah! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Addy perfect Robert... blah blah blah!

Blah blah blah HBO! :drool:

Whoa that guy has some seriously creepy eyes man. :stunned: Good pick!

Sean Bean... blah blah blah! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Addy perfect Robert... blah blah blah!

Blah blah blah HBO! :drool:

:agree:

Now if only the series will go on long enough that we could get Jason Isaacs as Oberyn and Alan Rickman as Tywin, my life would be complete. I'll never ask for anything else ever again, Santa, I promise! :lol:

Who is Addy for?

I am amazed right now that I might go 3 for 3 so far.

I don't know if I ever posted it but I thought;

Tyrion=Dinklage

Ned=Bean

Robert=Mark Addy (Add some more gut and get a beard)

I haven't read all the news but if Addy is for Robert that is crazy.

EDIT-

Sean Bean being a name, a fan favourite and an overall more than decent actor, was from the get-go (one of) the best possible choice(s) for Ned. Not a big surprise, but certainly happy he signed on: A Lotr connection could benefit AGOT in the same way Goodfellas and Saving Private Ryan did for the Sopranos and Band of Brothers, respectively.

Addy (didn’t know he did theatre) has never crossed my mind as Robert. I - as probably many others- have mostly seen him in comedic roles, so I’m gonna have to put my faith in the producers. My hope is this will turn out like Ed O’Neill in John from Cincinnati, who not only pulled off the role, but in doing so became one of my favourite characters on the show.

Not much I can say about Harington, Lloyd and Gleeson other than based on looks they seem good choices.

I'm pretty happy with the choice, hopefully he can do it justice. Addy is who I had in my mind when I read the book.

Funny that

SPOILER: books
four out of five of these announced characters are now dead, three in the first book. Kit Harington, the complete unknown out of the bunch, is the only survivor (along with Dinklage of course).

Funny that
four out of five of these announced characters are now dead, three in the first book. Kit Harington, the complete unknown out of the bunch, is the only survivor (along with Dinklage of course).

:cheers: Yeah that is funny.

But they are pretty damn important in the story up to their deaths so it is still great knowning there will be great actors for them.

I just got the shivers... So excited!!!!!!

I'm pretty damn excited myself if I may say so. :grouphug:

This is so cool. These people are GREAT at casting. So far for every role I say to myself, "damn, that actor's so much better than anyone I could have come up with". I mean, that guy IS Viserys! (Unfortunately, they're still all guys. Hoping for some info on female cast soon!)

I'm particularly happy that everyone so far seems to be a seriously good actor, not just a pretty face. I believe that with every new quality actor, the chances of the series getting picked up is increased. A name like Sean Bean for a prominent role like Ned's certainly helps!

All in all, great news.

Addy and bean are the exact same height they had better use some movie magic to make Addy look way bigger than Bean. Other than his diminutive stature he fits the role perfectly in looks and acting ability. So if they can make him look way bigger than he is kinda like how in the green mile they maid Michael Clarke Duncan

look about 7' when he is really only 6' 5"

as for the other casting confirmations I have no complaints

Whats the big deal if Addy isn't as tall, or anywhere near as tall, as the Robert Baratheon of the novels? Its an adaptation. God forbid that the professional producers take a few creative liberties.

Get hold of yourselves. You're turning into prose wielding maniacs. Fanboys.

Awesome. I'm quite speechless. Now if only they announce that they cast Gillian Anderson as Catelyn I will be one happy fanboy.

Whats the big deal if Addy isn't as tall, or anywhere near as tall, as the Robert Baratheon of the novels? Its an adaptation. God forbid that the professional producers take a few creative liberties.

Get hold of yourselves. You're turning into prose wielding maniacs. Fanboys.

Because the character's personality is directly stemmed from his appearance and physical prowess. Robert is the man that he is because in his youth he was the prince that women dreamed of, the man that other men wanted to be and feared to face. An average sized and average looking Robert would be a different person entirely, and likely not have won the throne. He is al the more pathetic because you can see the man he used to be through the layers of fat and frippery.

I'm not saying I'll boycot or that this spells doom for the series, but it will almost certainly be a different character as that in the book.

Archived