Cast of Game of Thrones: Sean Bean confirmed

NoSpeakEnglish

I was thinking about this actually. If Addy can't pull off younger, fit, warrior Robert in the flashbacks, you could use the actor for Renly with a little make-up/prosthetics, or something, since the two were suposed to look so much alike when younger. Just a thought.

Good point. I hope they manage to pull off family members similarities too in this well.

This interview with a serious and bearded Mark Addy might help give a better idea of what he could be like.

edit for link

Yeah, this works for me! His rather deep voice, beard, eyebrows(!) and some kind of underlying intensity and general presence is actually quite convincing. Even though he's just beeing himself, not acting.

Addy is definitely not physically at all how I imagined Robert other than being overweight. I really hope he pulls off a hell of a performance 'cause I'm having a hard time believing this man is one of the most impressive warriors of his generation, not to mention one of the most charming men in the world, with the charisma to lead a rebellion against a 300-year dynasty.

Hopefully he will at least be getting some camera/costume/makeup assistance in looking larger and more like a linebacker gone to seed rather than a tubby mechanic. He will need to put on a much 'larger' voice too.

I really hope he pulls off a hell of a performance 'cause I'm having a hard time believing this man is one of the most impressive warriors of his generation, not to mention one of the most charming men in the world, with the charisma to lead a rebellion against a 300-year dynasty.

Well, the point is that he isn't the most impressive warrior of his generation anymore. Far from. Remember how Bran doesn't think he looks very kingly anymore? I imagine any stranger would be shocked that this man could have been so renowned before.

I don't recall him been renowned for his charisma either. People liked him. But he was never loved except by Ned.

No, Robert was famed for his charisma. He convinced many staunch enemies to defect to his cause through nothing more than sheer charisma if I recall, even won over Ser Barristan. He inspired loyalty and was a very easy king to love.

No, Robert was famed for his charisma. He convinced many staunch enemies to defect to his cause through nothing more than sheer charisma if I recall, even won over Ser Barristan. He inspired loyalty and was a very easy king to love.

Cersei sure didn't think so. ;)

This interview with a serious and bearded Mark Addy might help give a better idea of what he could be like.

I can hear his 'lord's voice' in that interview. He's got that strong, theater actor's timbre that just carries and resonates - perfect for someone playing a king.

I don't recall him been renowned for his charisma either. People liked him. But he was never loved except by Ned.

He even manages to turn former enemies to his cause - Lords that fought and lost against him and Ned in the Battle of the Bells fought for him at the Trident, again, all based on his personal magnetism. That will be hard to convey, but I think this guy's got it. I'm pleased with the choice.

He even manages to turn former enemies to his cause - Lords that fought and lost against him and Ned in the Battle of the Bells fought for him at the Trident, again, all based on his personal magnetism.

Fair points. I suppose that just shows how much he has changed since!

Sean Bean has passion and charisma in abundance, but I always imagined Eddard Stark as very cold with occasional moments of warmth. His death is not the Boromir death, but a rather brutal, uncaring butchery, very suited to his personality.

Still, Bean is one of my favorite actors and thank god he's a good actor and not one of those who get to the point where they only play themselves over and over again. And clearly with this investment HBO is taking this series seriously, because I can't imagine he came cheap.

As for Addy, I'm willing to believe in the casting staff at HBO on this one, as with the rest of the casted roles. They are incredibly skilled at this. Furthermore, as peculiar as it sounds, it's often comedic actors who are very good at dramatic roles (think Jackie Gleason in The Hustler and the likes of Jack Lemon and Walter Matthau). Right now I can't think of anyone more fit for the role of Lucius Vorenus than Kevin McKidd, but how many thought upon hearing his casting "The guy from Topsy-Turvy? Seriously?" Or for Walter White on Breaking Bad: "The dentist?!?"

Good news. Slowly, I begin to grow more excited about the production. Having some big name actors should be a good indication for at least a first season. It reminds me a bit of the Deadwood cast, which was really awesome.

Sweet! I can't wait for the rest of the casting news.

Mark Addy was also in the Full Monty. I thought he was more impressive in that movie compared to A Knight's Tale. I have no worries that he can handle Robert Baratheon's character with ease.

Oh, it's that guy. That's neat. I liked him a lot in that movie, and I have no doubt that he can pull off a charismatic character rather well.

This is freaking awesome news. Look forward to more as it comes!

I take it as a very good sign that HBO signed a star like Bean. Sure he's not a huge superstar, but the man is renown as a great actor and he's got the fantasy credentials as Boromir. He will bring a lot of attention to the series. I doubt HBO would do that if they had no faith in the project.

Archived