Harvard professor arrested

IheartTesla

If someone replies to a reasonable request with 'Your only asking me that because you are a racist/sexist' they are generally themselves racist/sexist.

Your "logic" is unconvincing and your premises are either incomplete or flawed.

Kassi,

Can you provide a link to the police report? All the stories I read said the Police were witholding the report as the matter was "under investigation."

It is in the main posted story.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_...07/harvard.html

Just click on the blue words 'police report' in the story.

I would link it directly, but my computer doesn't let me highlight anything there, and I am too lazy to type it out.

Professor Gates should count his blessings, at least, that he wasn't shot and killed by the cops for being black and angry in his own home:

I think the scariest thing about the victims in all of these accidental cop shootings, is how you see yourself in so many of them. Shem Walker came out on his stoop in Clinton Hill, Brooklyn to find a man sitting on it. He apparently asked the guy to move. The guy didn't respond. Walker apparently tried to move him with physical force. Turns out the guy was a cop. The cop shot and killed Walker.

http://ta-nehisicoates.theatlantic.com/arc...ice_killing.php

This is such bullshit. Basically the cop arrested the guy for getting mad at him. Clearly the good professor is a whacko, and not nice to cops. Last I checked that isn't particularly illegal.

The way the police report reads, the guy was arrested for causing a scene that made people stop and stare. Such a scene would have easily been halted had the cop simply removed himself. He didn't, he arrested the guy for daring to mouth off to the police. Fuck cops man. Fuck them.

Damn, when did cops become such a bunch of pansy ass cry babies? "I arrested him because he yelled at me for accusing him of breaking into his house!" Jeez, you poor cops are about as big a group of matyrs as our poor waitrersesses of the world who have to wait on people and fix their orders when they are messed up!

After reading the police report I must say how impressed I am with the calm and perfect demeanor of the officer in the face of unbridled anger. Even without understanding where the "anger" was coming from, the cop remained polite through the whole thing, and even considered that the acoustics of the kitchen from where Gates was yelling maybe made communication more difficult. In the end this sounds like a tale of a cop with a nearly endless well of understanding and patience who was confused by the anger and statements of a man hiding behind his screen door.

I don't particularly like police, but reading the police report, the professor sounds by far the bigger douchebag in the situation, at least up until the arrest.

I don't particularly like police, but reading the police report, the professor sounds by far the bigger douchebag in the situation, at least up until the arrest.

Fortunately you have a constitutional right to douchbaggery. Unfortunately (at least anymore) cops seem to have the right to arrest you for any reason, or no reason whatsoever, and get away with what is essentially assault, kidnapping, and false imprisonment scot-free.

The man was on his own porch, according to the police. He still yealled at the police, but while on his porch. I don't think the arrest will hold.

Screaming at police officers, yelling insults, and threatening to use their position or influence to punish them for doing their job shouldn't be tolerated. If the police officer was some how out of line in any way at all, that will change things, and the hammer should come down on them hard.

One should not assume the police report is accurate, but if it is the officer didn't do anything wrong. Police officers conducting their duty respectfully are not stress relief devises you can scream at and threaten because you have a martyrdom complex.

Fortunately you have a constitutional right to douchbaggery. Unfortunately (at least anymore) cops seem to have the right to arrest you for any reason, or no reason whatsoever, and get away with what is essentially assault, kidnapping, and false imprisonment scot-free.

Public slander isn't a constitutionally protected right.

Screaming at police officers, yelling insults, and threatening to use their position or influence to punish them for doing their job shouldn't be tolerated.

Yes as a matter of fact it should. We call it freedom of speech.

One should not assume the police report is accurate, but if it is the officer didn't do anything wrong.

Imprisoning an innocent man is pretty fucking wrong. I get yelled at in the course of my job all the time. Its part of the job

Yes as a matter of fact it should. We call it freedom of speech.

Imprisoning an innocent man is pretty fucking wrong. I get yelled at in the course of my job all the time. Its part of the job

Slander and threats are not covered by the first amendment.

Kassi,

His house, his rules. Yelling insults is not illegal particularly in your own home to some who is not a guest or invitee.

He followed the officer to do it in public.

He was not arrested when he was doing it in his own home. He was arrested after he was warned three times to stop causing a public disturbance.

Assuming the police report is correct of course, which one shouldn't take on simple faith. Odds are the report isn't completely objective.

Then what is? and who gets to decide?

Scotus.

He was not arrested when he was doing it in his own home. He was arrested after he was warned three times to stop causing a public disturbance.

Assuming the police report is correct of course, which one shouldn't take on simple faith. Odds are the report isn't completely objective.

Scotus.

Bad idea that's basically the same as letting the goverernment decide.

Anyone here like Penn and Teller? the did a good show on freedom of speech here although it's specifically about swearing it's also about freedom of speech in general

His porch is still his home.

I am one of the biggest police supporters on the board as I once carried a federal badge. But I am not blind to the fact that cops can be wrong, can be liars, and racist assholes.

I was all ready to give the cop the benifit of the doubt, until I read the reports. The guy was still on his own front porch. There was no reason to arrest him unless Cambridge as a "no insulting the police" law.

Onto his damn porch. If the officer didn't want to hear it he was free not to stand in the guys yard. It isn't like he was following the officer around, quite the opposite.

He wasn't causing the disturbance, the officer was. Once the officer knew that the man was committing no crime, it was his responsibility to leave and stop bothering him. The officer refused to do so. Even then I don't give a rats ass if he was warned 3 times or 30. He had not committed a crime, henceforth, no justification for arrest.

The police report makes the officer look like a dick. Are you saying that the officer filed a report to make himself look more like a dick than actually transpired?

Archived