Comics, Graphic Novels and Manga

haLobEnder

And now for something completely different. :)

I just got back from Comic-Con, and one of the best parts of my booty was grabbing the Dark Horse hardcover volume of Beanworld 3: Remember Here When You Are There!.

If you didn't know, in 2009 Dark Horse brought out two hardcover Beanworld volumes: Wahoolazuma! and A Gift Comes!, that reprint the entire Eclipse 21-issue run. And then this third new volume came out in November of 2009.

If you've never read Beanworld....it's... well... it's, um...oh, hell.

It's nearly impossible to describe. Don Thompson when he first reviewed Beanworld back in 1985, used the words sui generis. It is the kind of book where you generally recommend it to someone by shoving it into their hands so it can be experienced directly. It is deceptively simple. It is kid-safe and kid-friendly, but you can find deep spiritual meaning in it. It can be seen as ecological, or as conceptual art. It has an extremely strong design, and an idiosyncratic addictive rhythms to the language. It is wonderful and uplifting, and something that more people should be finding. Inspired in equal parts by Jack Kirby, Native American design, and Marcel Duchamp, the thing is about life and art and culture and perception and the world and... well, as I said. Hard to describe. Also a kid's book.

It may appear too silly to some of you. But I just have to say that when I picked up the third volume and started reading, it felt as if I'd only been away from the Beanworld for about fifteen minutes. Not fifteen years. To me, Beanworld is a successor to Pogo, and well deserves mention. And we've finally finished Spring in the Beanworld.

Hoka hoka hey!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm becoming a fan of Jeff Lemire's work. First the Complete Essex County, and now his new series "Sweet Tooth: Out of the Deep Woods". Very nicely written.

I'm going to try and see if can read Captain America, maybe Brubaker's stories.

i've recently found the manga Innocents Shounen Juujigun / Innocent boys' crusade / La croisade des innocents, based on the events known as the Children's crusade. Only three chapters are available in English as of now, but i'm already hooked.

I've been catching up on Berserk lately. I'm only 9 or so volumes behind. I just finished the "Conviction Arc" which was simultaneously awesome and full of suck.

Seriously, Mozgus was lame as a 'primary' villain. Really lame. Just another religious fanatic stereotype. Plus his fight with Guts went on waaaaaay too long. The rest of it was great though

It's really interesting reading through several volumes at once and watching the changes that the characters go through.

I've been catching up on Berserk lately. I'm only 9 or so volumes behind. I just finished the "Conviction Arc" which was simultaneously awesome and full of suck.

Seriously, Mozgus was lame as a 'primary' villain. Really lame. Just another religious fanatic stereotype. Plus his fight with Guts went on waaaaaay too long. The rest of it was great though

It's really interesting reading through several volumes at once and watching the changes that the characters go through.

Yup,

This arc was great for a number of reasons (the way Griffith is reborn), but not for the villain or his minions (who were, IIRC a wasted opportunity to create interesting and tormented characters, and in the end came out as just cardboard fanatics).

I don't think Berserk will ever be able to recatch the awesomeness that was the "Golden Arc", but it still manages to be great (and disturbing) often enough to keep me interested. (though I'm a little behind too, serves me well for buying the french translation...)

In a totally different mood, I present to you this brand new free manga, published by none other that... the US Army. :thumbsup:

It's meant to explain to young japanese the reason behind the presence of American military bases in their country.

Too bad it's not being translated to English but it's rather straightforward. The young Usa-kun from America visits Arai Anzu's place (pronounce Alliance ;)) and decides to protect her house (the first thing he protects her from is a cockroach... a politically correct metaphor for North Korea ? :unsure:). He then proceeds to explain the special relationship ("it's a precious friendship !") between their two countries and it ends on a very cute description of the components of the American Army (I'd be curious to hear what our former military men would think of that).

Only the first part (out of 4) is avalaible yet.

I don't think Berserk will ever be able to recatch the awesomeness that was the "Golden Arc", but it still manages to be great (and disturbing) often enough to keep me interested. (though I'm a little behind too, serves me well for buying the french translation...)

I don't know. I'm enjoying the Post-Golden Arc quite a bit so far and it seems like it's going in some interesting directions.

Finished Preacher.

The end wasn't good or bad, really. Saint of Killers being able to kill God seems kind of odd, and, now that I think of it, so does the entire Saint of Killers arc. There's definitely a bit of author schizophrenia with how he's shown approaching the end of the series and before.

I stopped reading Berserk fairly soon after Conviction Arc. I think the newest album I read was 24 or 25 or something like that. Things might be picking up again but I definately won't buy before reading anymore as I used to do.

Things were getting way too D&D adventure party IMO, and instead of focusing on Griffith's new army and the invasion and the shadow beast and all that fun stuff, we get more comic relief elves and kiddy characters.

• 2 weeks later...

Just heard that batman beyond is getting an ongoing. I think it could do with a better creative team than the one doing the mini. Maybe the team that worked on the annual? Anyway I'm pleased the Beyond universe will continue as it is a cool place with plenty of spin-off potential.

One thing that bugs me is that I still don't think there has been official word on what the Beyond continuity is. I took it as one of the 52 universes revealed in countdown that is inspired by but not necessarily the same world as the tv show - allowing them to pick the best bits from the show and Justice league unlimited. Then again Grant Morrison has featured Terry as a potential future to the official DCU. I'd rather this wasn't the case as it will just be retconned out. Some seem to think it is an official continuation of the tv show. Anyone know?

I've been slowly going through The Walking Dead, and the words "grossly" and "overrated" keep spinning in my head. I'm reviewing the tpbs as I read through them on my blog:

The Walking Dead, Volume One: Days Gone By

The Walking Dead, Volume Two: Miles Behind Us

The Walking Dead, Volume Three: Safety Behind Bars

The Walking Dead, Volume Four: The Heart's Desire

The Walking Dead, Volume Five: The Best Defense

Roland, you seem to feel about the same as I do regarding that series. I'm looking forward to Darabont's adaption a lot out of hope/expectation that it'll be superior to the original product with Kirkman involved more peripherally.

I feel the way you two do about the series from the trades from vol 9 onwards

after they leave the prison

. It's only just picked up with the most recent trade (12?). It would be interesting to see whether you hate those vols more/less than the ones you find meh.

I picked up the second volume trades of Chew and The Unwritten yesterday. Both really good series so far. The Unwritten is the best thing I've read of Mike Carey's so far, and could be something really really special.

I need to give bothe those series a try as everyone has positive comments about them. A friend gave me some of Mike Carey's prose novels that sound a bit like "what he would have done with Hellblazer if he'd been allowed to"

I've been slowly going through The Walking Dead, and the words "grossly" and "overrated" keep spinning in my head. I'm reviewing the tpbs as I read through them on my blog:

The Walking Dead, Volume One: Days Gone By

The Walking Dead, Volume Two: Miles Behind Us

The Walking Dead, Volume Three: Safety Behind Bars

The Walking Dead, Volume Four: The Heart's Desire

The Walking Dead, Volume Five: The Best Defense

I just finished the 1-10 omnibus. Good read, but i'm in the same camp. I found myself skimming through some of the conversations due to their irrelevance. Unlike Bendis (who is wordy as hell) it seemed like Kirkman likes to have his people talk, just to talk. Little in the way of new information/character building/background went on. Just wasted ink.

The Governor was as twisted as I had heard, and I was pretty happy with that arc. Outside of that I was just depressed as hell, and frustrated with some of the idiotic decisions the characters made. Maybe that was the point, i don't know.

Archived