Comics, Graphic Novels and Manga

haLobEnder

well I was rather hopeful for moon knight in the shadowland event, however I should have known better. that crap should never have been published the glaring continuity errors and the frankly bizarre OOC behaviour of the characters and the random, unexplained resurection of a previous villain make reading the run tortuous in every sense of the word even if you aren't a fan of moon knight it will still leave you pouring bleach into the hole you drilled into your skull.

well I was rather hopeful for moon knight in the shadowland event, however I should have known better. that crap should never have been published the glaring continuity errors and the frankly bizarre OOC behaviour of the characters and the random, unexplained resurection of a previous villain make reading the run tortuous in every sense of the word even if you aren't a fan of moon knight it will still leave you pouring bleach into the hole you drilled into your skull.

My LCS was saying the whole Shadowland series has been a huge clusterfuck and it has successfully resulted in him losing a third of his Daredevil subscriptions, especially after they revealed Black Panther will be taking over the title. Seems like this crossover event has had the polar opposite effect to what they were hoping.

It sounds a shame as the Daredeveil book has been highly praised throughout the Bendis then Brubaker runs. Need to finish the brubaker run

So I just finished my reread of The Sandman (even better the second time around) and I've just discovered that there's a Lucifer comic series out there. Anyone read it and know if it's any good?

I just bought a trade collection and was very disappointed with the artwork. This may not bother you however if you thought the artwork in Sandman was fine.

The artwork in Sandman was, at best, tolerable, but it didn't really inhibit my enjoyment of the story. Well, not much anyways.

It is a very good series. Not quite as good as the Sandman imo, and it's a bit different, having a more directly epic focus and a more traditional arc-based continuing narrative. But it's definitely worth reading.

I like the art as well - Calindabar, did you get the first collection (Devil in the Gateway) by any chance? Because the art in that is alright, but the rest of the series is drawn by Peter Gross and is ace.

I liked the principle behind different artists for every story in The Sandman, but some of them were better than others. And the choice of a bright cartoony style for the climactic arc took some getting used to

I actually got the second collection Polish. The story seems alright, that's why I became interested in the series, but the art doesn't work for me.

Same with Sandman really, where only when Vess or Zulli came to play did it really shine brightly in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

So I just finished my reread of The Sandman (even better the second time around) and I've just discovered that there's a Lucifer comic series out there. Anyone read it and know if it's any good?

I've read the first half of the series and found it to be quite good. I plan on collecting the other half eventually but other titles have distracted me. What's remarkable is that it lasted as long as it did --something like 75 issues-- despite more popular Vertigo series like Y the Last Man and 100 Bullets getting all the attention.

Actually the same creative team that did Lucifer is currently working on The Unwritten together. While I admit I like the concept of The Unwritten more than the actual execution its still a pretty good read. Issue #17 was a choose your own adventure story ;)

I'm also really digging the Image series Morning Glories which is about a group of gifted kids held prisoner at a mysterious prep school. The elevator pitch of the series describes it as Runaways meets Lost which does feel like a pretty accurate description. There's only been 4 issues so far but already I'm looking forward to it each month as much as I am new issues of The Walking Dead.

It probably doesn't hurt my opinion of the series that the value of the first issue skyrocketed just after I bought it :P

My LCS was saying the whole Shadowland series has been a huge clusterfuck and it has successfully resulted in him losing a third of his Daredevil subscriptions, especially after they revealed Black Panther will be taking over the title. Seems like this crossover event has had the polar opposite effect to what they were hoping.

It sounds a shame as the Daredeveil book has been highly praised throughout the Bendis then Brubaker runs. Need to finish the brubaker run

they probably did it on purpose, eff it up completely then they can make a big song and dance routine out of the inevitable return/resurrection of Matt Murdock with a good writer artist team.

I recently read Mouse Guard: Fall 1152 and Winter 1152 and enjoyed both a lot. Hoping more will come out someday.

I also picked up the first collected edition of Y: The Last Man and enjoyed that. Currently working my way through the third trade.

I'm currently reading through The Realm of Kings trade from Marvel. It's not bad, but my knowledge of the Inhumans, Kree, Guardians of the Galaxy and other groups featured in the trade is only tangential and it feels like I'm missing a lot of the back story.

I thought Marvel was redoubling their efforts to make their properties accessible to all. If so, why does it seem like every third or fourth word balloon has an asterisk beside it telling me to check out such-and-such issue of whatever for an explanation?

Ah well, this just reminds me all the more why I enjoy properties without shared universes. How do you Marvel and DC fans do it?

I've also wanted to check out Green Lantern recently based on the good things I've been hearing but I have absolutely no idea where to start; Seems like everything is '[Obscure Character Name Here]: Blackest Night' or 'Prelude to Brightest Day' or 'Prelude to the Conclusion of Blackest Night which also serves as a Prologue to the Epilogue of Brightest Day'.

Who told you that? :D

I think the idea is to make ALL their titles accessible to all. They don't want you reading a couple of their comics so they tie them all together into events to make you buy them all (or none at all). I read an interview with Joe Quesada over the weekend where he accused fans of being guilty of making all the comics tied together. Basically a stand-alone Thor title was cancelled due to low sales making him conclude that no-one buys the stand-alones and stick to the important tied in comics. I don't think that's entirely fair as Marvel are making those titles important by tying them in. Those no reason not to make self-contained comics "important" too.

DC is just as guilty with Batman and green lantern but it seems they are better at sticking within their own corner of the universe (although Marvel cosmic is fairly isolated too)

I think it's counterproductive. All these Initiatives, Heroic Ages and whatevers are just a big turn-off. It's basically just event-after-event feeling and you just get tired after like 5 years of it. There are like 4 Avengers titles all launched on like the same day and who can muster the enthusiasm for any of them? But, I guess there are people out there who love this type of stuff. And those who are just gonna buy something out of habit even if they hate it.

Archived