The "new" definition of Racism or

SwordoftheMorning

Calling someone a racist is a pretty powerful personal attack

i don't mean to pick on whoever wrote the above-quoted line, but it seems a common sentiment, and is fairly amusing, considering that it demands a privilege for racists that racists would deny to the victims of racism:

oh, i'm sick of all'y'all coolies and banana-eating jungle monkeys and fruits of genghis khan's loins and cone-eyed cacogens and hircinocephalous anthropophagoi and whatnot complaining all the time about how much i can't stand y'all, but you gotta listen to my complaints about your complaints.

apparently, the real victims of racism are the racists, who must deny their racism all the time. this must be very annoying. i don't know how the victims of racism can live with themselves for inconveniencing the racists so badly.

shame on you, therefore, victims of racism. have some fucking sensitivity.

Calling someone a racist is a pretty powerful personal attack

i don't mean to pick on whoever wrote the above-quoted line, but it seems a common sentiment, and is fairly amusing, considering that it demands a privilege for racists that racists would deny to the victims of racism:

oh, i'm sick of all'y'all coolies and banana-eating jungle monkeys and fruits of genghis khan's loins and cone-eyed cacogens and hircinocephalous anthropophagoi and whatnot complaining all the time about how much i can't stand y'all, but you gotta listen to my complaints about your complaints.

apparently, the real victims of racism are the racists, who must deny their racism all the time. this must be very annoying. i don't know how the victims of racism can live with themselves for inconveniencing the racists so badly.

shame on you, therefore, victims of racism. have some fucking sensitivity.

Yes, because everyone who is called a racist is indeed a racist. No one is ever mislabeled. No one throws around slurs unjustly. More dismissive BS...

Yes, because everyone who is called a racist is indeed a racist. No one is ever mislabeled. No one throws around slurs unjustly. More dismissive BS...

Your argument might be impressive if only you were only as equally passionate in condemning actual racism. Instead you use cheap rhetoric and hyperbole to completely mischaracterize arguments and ignore the issue that this thread has attempted to discuss.

Which do you think is the bigger problem or worse injustice in this country? Racism or people who have "suffered" being "mislabeled" as racists? (such as another member of the Boston police force, who claimed he wasn't racist after using the term "jungle monkey" to refer to Skip Gates several times in a mass email)

Because from what I've read on this thread, it sounds like you think its the latter. If that's the case, not only is it severely misguided, you're just flat out wrong.

Your argument might be impressive if only you were only as equally passionate in condemning actual racism. Instead you use cheap rhetoric and hyperbole to completely mischaracterize arguments and ignore the issue that this thread has attempted to discuss.

Which do you think is the bigger problem or worse injustice in this country? Racism or people who have "suffered" being "mislabeled" as racists? (such as another member of the Boston police force, who claimed he wasn't racist after using the term "jungle monkey" to refer to Skip Gates several times in a mass email)

Because from what I've read on this thread, it sounds like you think its the latter. If that's the case, not only is it severely misguided, you're just flat out wrong.

First off, it might be best to remember that this entire thread is about how people are being unjustly labeled as racist. That was the entire point of the original post.

Second, start a thread called 'Are racists evil, is racism a problem, and should racists using their authority to discriminate be rooted out and harshly punished?' then most people will chime in with 'Of course'

Assuming they take the time to even write a post, that the above statement is true is kind of a given. People jumping to the side of other people based on race is also wrong, and also a problem. Look at the Duke case.

All racism is wrong and a problem. People jumping to conclusions based on the races of the people involved rather then the facts is wrong. It doesn't mater if they are siding with the white guy, the brown guy, the Hebrew, the Islamic, the natural born citizen or the illegal immigrant.

Prejudice is bad, in any form.

Um... what?

Why should he/she go out of their way to condemn something which has nothing to do with him/her? This is total rubbish, sorry.

Ah, I love how the racists come creeping out of the woodwork to misunderstand, misread and misrepresent my standpoint.

First of all, you'll notice I never said anything about the Gates incident, because I don't know much about it. So to those of you jumping the gun on that - wrong. What I said was that I think it's pretty ballsy of people here to come out and dismiss the personal accounts of racism encountered by a black person belonging to this board with "ah, you just see racism everywhere, you silly old fart. Racism is over!"

Second, I never actually advocated white guilt. I consciously chose to use words that are often associated with that stance, but if people had bothered to read what I actually wrote, in essence, it boils down to, if I was a white man living in the US today, given the history of the country and the way racism has been culturally and politically institutionalised, the way it had (has?) permeated society (watching videos of the civil rights movement turns my stomach. When you see a black guy walking up to the university he's just enrolled at, as one of the first coloured people ever, and you see the good, upstanding white citizens of the town in question, in a mob, hitting, kicking, throwing shit at him. These are not people 8 generations ago, these are people of your parent or grandparent generation), I would make every effort to try to purge any subconscious bias from my mind.

The get some shame in your life was not meant as "be ashamed that you're white", as some people (racists) read it, it was "be ashamed that you dare complain about how fucking hard it is to be white today, what with all the groundless racist accusations flying".

But we can be annnoyed at how hard it is to be everything.

Jews have had over 2000 years of being slaughtered by all the other religions, and there are still countries in which it's a crime to be Jewish. The stereotypes also persist, and many famous Jews do nothing but continue them.

Catholics have the whole stupidity stereotype going.

Atheists are thought to be asshats.

WASPs have their own high list of stereotypes.

Asians have the whole "loves to work" "karate master" "math whiz" "tiny dick" thing going.

Etc. Etc.

Anyone can complain about how hard it is to be them. At the end of the day, no race understands how hard it is to be all the others. But white people are to blame. Mmkay?

In every questionable situation which involves a man and a woman they will immediately take the side of the woman.

BULLSHIT. And here's how I know:

Rape convictions in the UK are at 6.5% and that's just the one's that are reported (approx 5% get reported) let's not get into the ones that aren't because the victims are treated like shit at the police station, their lives are questioned and in most cases they get a nice large portion of 'well if you'd have worn a nice large hessian sack he wouldn't have thought he was in there' or 'he's your boyfriend/husband/partner isn't he?'. So, no, the side of women is rarely fucking taken.

From The 2007 report by Her Majesty's Chief Inspectorate and Her Majesty's Crown Prosecution Service Inspectorate:

Victims were found to experience delays, "unpleasant environments", inappropriate behaviour by professionals, insensitive questioning during interviews and "judgmental or disbelieving attitudes" when coming forward with complaints of rape.

Does that sound like taking a woman's side you?

You make me want to vomit. You have absolutely no conception of a woman's world but feel free to pass judgement on how our side is always taken. [/threadjack]

To bring it back on track, I really want to echo Terra, Sword etc when I say that once again (with a new little twist maybe): You don't get to say that racism doesn't exist on a day to day basis just because it's not you/friend/girlfriend/dad/brother's experience. It is the experience for millions of people every day so how about you fucking listen for a change instead of derailing the conversation and making it. All.About.YOU!!

N

Who claimed Racism was over?

Well I just got done reading a post by Meili that stated he took a straw poll and none of his friends feel like they're being victimised on a day-to-day basis . So what I actually said was

You don't get to say that racism doesn't exist on a day to day basis

I've highlighted the bit that you may have missed on your first reading..

N

Archived