WorldCon

So the BwB now has a bunch of chevaliers, seigneurs, and ... what, dames? Les Chevaliers de Poutine? Hrm...

Sounds like much fun was had. Hopefully the concerns about getting up to the floor via the eleavotrs were addressed and everything went smoothly. :)

That Blood of the Kraken drink was the shit! Had four of those and would have had more if I wasn't driving! Thanks to the BwB folks for an awesome party!

And now, with less than 4 hours of sleep in me, this unit has to get its ass to work... :tantrum: :thumbsdown: :stunned:

Might see you guys tonight. . .

Patrick

My understanding is that the SFWA suite was on the 20th floor, not the official party floor, and that different rules applied there..... yes indeed, it was not on the party floor and has now been relocated there. So that shouldn't happen again. I think it sucks no allowances were really made, but "your roof, your rules" I suppose.

Hello everyone! I'm having a rest and reporting in before I head off to the next pannel at 12:30. I havent read any reports so I apologise if I repeat some things that have been said. I only have a few minutes but I promise a longer report when I am back home next week.

Our BwB party was a great sucess. When we scoped out the party suite when others wer using it, I was worried because it had a terrible layout. But our great team of planners/organisers did a wonderful job of rearranging all the furniture and we had plenty of space and a perfect layout. We had a chair for George on teh ground floor, and the BwB ladies too turns guarding it when George was up and about. Parris had on a big orange pin that said "GRRM is not your bitch. He's mine."

I spent a great deal of time at the party being the door greeter, and I only got one totally blank look when I explained what the BwB was. There were no problems that I was aware of and I never had to get my secuity team from inside. No Tickler incident this year, sorry guys :)

Before the knights were sent out, X ray gave a touching toast to EHK, which also mentioned Lord Manwoody. I know I wasnt the oly one that teared up at that point. Then we watched the lords and ladies, princes and princesses be proclaimed royalty by George on the staircase. The knights came back in two groups with poutine, which I admit I didnt have any of. They were knighted with the wooden sword, which I'll explain in a later report if someone hasnt already. After the knighting I got put back on door duty (thanks mormont :P) but most of the people coming in that late were just rotating through the parties. At some point the party became BwB only, and I missed exactly how that came about. I sat on the floor and chatted with George for a while, and then moved to a chair farther away to give others a turn. Many of us stayed until about 3 am at least, and we left when George decided to leave, but I know some people stayed longer. Ser Scot got drunk and was pretty funny, it's a shame no one recorded it. Earlier in the night Paedar enslaved a harem of women (and Limecat), but I'll let Lany tell the story of how that came about if someone hasnt already.

this morning everyone looks like a zombie, we met at party suite at 10 am to start cleaning, but housekeeping was already there so it was a bit of a scramble. We cleaned up and split up until george's pannel at 12:30, and afterwards we are having lunch/dinner with George, and then his signing is at 4 pm.

One last thing:

That Blood of the Kraken drink was the shit!

I agree! The punch actually looked like mouthwash but was very tasty. the special BwB drink however, Rhaegar's Rubies, was really really gross and I had to get someone else to finish it for me.

thats all for now, I've been photographing everything I can and have hundreds of photos to share with you all when I get home.

Parris had on a big orange pin that said "GRRM is not your bitch. He's mine."

:lol:

Earlier in the night Paedar enslaved a harem of women (and Limecat), but I'll let Lany tell the story of how that came about if someone hasnt already.

Paedar enslaved Limecat? Why? And do we even want to know? :wideeyed:

First time at a Worldcon today- had a lot of fun (though I only took the three hour pass- Worldcon really needs a student rate. $95 for a day? And then authors at panels wonder why the average age is 40 and up...). Some very interesting discussion panels, and I got to meet Martin, which of course makes my nerd heart complete. If I get time off work, maybe I'll be able to stop by again tomorrow for a couple of hours, because what are the odds that worldcon will come to the city I live in again? But once again: Lower your bloody prices!

I admit to being drunk. However, I lay the blame clearly on the Mr. X and the Blood of the Kracken. Further, Pebble bought me a Guiness while we were waiting for the poutine to be prepared. I had to down it and get the Poutine back to finally achieve my knighthood. I was the first person back and as such I was dubbed Ser Scot the Swift.

It was a great time. The con has been wonderful. Several of us attended a panel GRRM was on regarding writing for a living and the perils of being a professional writer. It was interesting to hear his perspective on the professional aspects of writing. He said that because of the feast or famine nature of the business professional writers must be very careful with their finances. He was asked about the difficult time after Armageddon Rag flopped. He said that he was lucky to have options open up for him in Hollywood via the New Twilight Zone and Beauty and the Beast at that time.

I haven't heard anything about the series but I believe the reading tomorrow will be a previously unread chapter. I'm looking forward to it.

First time at a Worldcon today- had a lot of fun (though I only took the three hour pass- Worldcon really needs a student rate. $95 for a day? And then authors at panels wonder why the average age is 40 and up...). Some very interesting discussion panels, and I got to meet Martin, which of course makes my nerd heart complete. If I get time off work, maybe I'll be able to stop by again tomorrow for a couple of hours, because what are the odds that worldcon will come to the city I live in again? But once again: Lower your bloody prices!

Ack! I didn't get to meet you!

Ran, yes, that was Mormont and that was our party room! Good find.

I DO feel like a zombie, even though I saw some awesome panels today and managed to stay awake. Neil Gaiman is an amazing guest of honor. So now it's nap time before the Hugo's, which most of us plan to attend. More later.

Ack! I didn't get to meet you!

It really is too bad I didn't get to meet any of you folks- though if you guys also went to the Martin panel on Writing For a Living, you might have seen me. Should have crashed the party last night, apparently. Anyway, glad to hear that everyone seems to have had a great time and enjoyed Montreal, and maybe I'll catch some of you tomorrow at the Martin reading- I'm the shortish, black curly haired probably obnoxious 21 year old. Should be a good time!

You know, I'm sure George is tired about ADwD questions ... so here's some suggested non-ADwD questions! ;)

1) Can he confirm that Daenerys Targaryen has been cast for the HBO series? An actress has recently twittered that she was told they were no longer looking for someone for the role. (Might be best to ask this one when he's had some Irish Mist... ;)

At the Absinthe Bar we discussed Nicole Kidman playing Cersei-her fame aside-she is too old. George did state that Jamie had been cast. And then dropped the subject. No prodding from us would get him to spill those beans.

:)

Thanks, Blue Rose. Sounds excellent!

I may be mistaken, as it's a bit dark and blurry, but I do believe Mormont's in this picture. Was that the BWB party suite?

I don't think that anyone has replied yet so I will... this is our Party Room!

:) This was looking from under the stairwell (we had a 2 story, 3 bath unit) towards where the bar area was.

There are at least 3 BWBers in the 4th picture.... can you spot the others besides Mr. X?

Is that Fenryng right on the far left-hand side slightly distorted by the fisheye lens?

Archived