WorldCon

I am home safely and in fact already at my desk at work. I took 370 pictures, and I promise a full report and gallery in 48 hours or less. I had coffee with George and Parris yesterday and learned some interesting things about HBO.

I didnt hear anything about the Beauty and the Beast movie either while I was there.

Xray,

Limecat's sig/council title/etc over the last two years has been some variation on "Lament and be Suitably Woeful." I'm pretty sure it first came about during his stint as the Czech Republic, but it has become So Much More.

Perhaps we should change my title to Ser Scot "the Observant?"

I am home safely and in fact already at my desk at work. I took 370 pictures, and I promise a full report and gallery in 48 hours or less. I had coffee with George and Parris yesterday and learned some interesting things about HBO.

I didnt hear anything about the Beauty and the Beast movie either while I was there.

Oooo, do tell!

Perhaps we should change my title to Ser Scot "the Observant?"

George dubbed you Ser Scot the Swift (for being the first back with poutine and kneeling to be knighted before George was even ready with the sword), and so you shall be known.

George dubbed you Ser Scot the Swift (for being the first back with poutine and kneeling to be knighted before George was even ready with the sword), and so you shall be known.

Scot had premature genuflectation? :stunned:

Okay, since I am only pretending to work, I'll quickly tell the story of my coffee with George and Parris.

I made a scrapbook of my trip to Worldcon in Denver last year, and at MG's insistence, brought it out on the last day for everyone to see. Luga loved it so much that she insisted I show George, who happened to walk by about 15 min later. She called him over, and he said he'd like to see it, but he was on his way to coffee with Parris, so I should join them. And I did.

We got on the topic of the HBO pilot, and Parris told me that HBO is furious that the actor announcements keep getting leaked for the pilot. Apparently HBO really likes and wants to do its own big announcements, and they think they have an internal leak, or possibly two. They are hunting for the leaks, who will be fired and their names muddied in the industry for years. Parris said that it is also possible that it is someones partner/roommate/coworker who is announcing this stuff, either innocently or purposefully wanting to share it because they are a big fan. Whatever the case, HBO is angry. This is probably good news for us, because it means they care enough that they want to do good press about it.

George also confirmed to me (and again later at his reading) that Jaime and Theon are cast, and that Dany is down to 3 choices.

The other thing I learned was that when the True Blood HBO series came out, the book sales went up 2000%. :stunned: The editor of the True Blood books came by and chatted while we were there, and she said HBO is very enthusiastic about backing True Blood with a big line of merchandise and that George should expect the same treatment if the series gets picked up. I got the impression from George that he is fairly confident that he will get one season to start, although he didnt come right out and say it.

Relatedly, at his reading George said that the pilot is setting an HBO record for the highest number of series regulars hired, and that's quite possibly not a good thing because they have to hold onto them all so they dont have to recast in the middle. He mentioned that Jaime Lannister is almost not present in aCoK at all, so the actors contract will have to be structured in a way so that he understands he will have season 2 off but will be back to full time in season 3.

Also at the reading, George said that the hardest role to cast is Bran. He's he youngest main character, the most magical, and he is crippled, which is a pretty hard role for a 10 year old boy.

EDIT: more things I remembered.

The current start date for filming of the pilot is October 12th, but George said that the date has been pushed back several times already so not to take that date as set in stone. The majority of the pilot will be filmed in Northern Ireland, and the Irish government has thrown themselves behind the project, which has resulted in many Irish technicians, staff, behind the scenes employees being hired.

Scenes for Dany will be filmed in Morocco.

I guess that was more than just the story of my coffee, but there's some HBO related news for you all :) I took notes on the Q&A part of the reading so I'll see if I missed anything later.

Archived