WorldCon

His name was Darryl and he fucked up every panel he attended... luckily I only had him at the beginning of one before he left. Lany had him in mutiple ones.

He also turned his head to stare really obviously at everyone's con badge every time he'd walk past. I started turning mine to the blank side when I saw him coming.

Also, at our party, he sat down in the staircase, and Lany politely asked him to move. He then slid down the stairs on his butt!

Kat: :lol: I had forgotten that guy. The one that did improv poetry on the streets, allegedly including Paisley and Slough. Who had that plan about how the highways should all be raised ten feet to avoid death by deer. Yeah, he was amazing.

Oh, That Guy. Wow, I had forgotten about the plan for raising highways. That was at the Tor party on Thursday.

Oh, That Guy. Wow, I had forgotten about the plan for raising highways. That was at the Tor party on Thursday.

'But... the deer would just go up the ramps...'

'Let it go, Doug.'

:lol:

(We should be clear this is not the same guy as Darryl, btw.)

The Life and Work of John M. Ford-- went to this one with Luga because she wanted to hear Neil Gaiman, and the panel was full of publishing all-stars and had a surprise appearance by Robert Jordan's wife; I had only heard of the author (who died in 2006) but listening to the anecdotes of his life made me really want to read some of his books.

This turned out to be an amazing panel. It was very touching, and sad, but was also a celebration of why J. Mike Ford's friends thought he was an astonishing and wonderful person. It was a bit strange being voyeurs as his friends had what appeared to be a therapeutic discussion about a man they dearly loved. The panelists told lots of stories about him, read some poetry he wrote, talked about how his books influenced their own writing, and how he had influenced fandom (= creator of Klingon culture). Everyone on the panel, both authors and editors, said they thought he was one of the top writers in SF. It only took about 5 minutes to convince us all to go out and scour ebay for his books.

Things I Did In Montreal

- Hung a piece of ginger beef around my neck and wore it for a whole night as a necklace.

- Got accosted by Convention Security for sitting down with my backpack near an outlet, charging my phone. The guard said that I "Did not look respectable". I tried just standing around, instead, but he came back and said "No, you can't be disrespectful here at all."

- Accused on multiple occasions of having a Canadian Accent.

- Schwank. For Hours.

- Got kicked out of a crack park for being there after midnight, and for drinking beers in it, as well.

- Went for breakfast with family, who asked out every waitress in the cafe on my behalf. Especially one clueless waitress, who kept messing up orders. My grand aunt said that "I should take her away, because she obviously doesn't belong here."

- Talked to George about the work being done on his house, and then realizing in amazement afterward that we had a completely normal conversation, bereft of me going "OMG ITZ GRRM!!"

- Ate a lot of Poutine at the BwB Party. I am a rebellious Knight, yo.

- Made Scott talk about secession once during the BwB Party. On four separate occasions during the Quest for Poutine. And three more times after the knighting.

Oh, and I guess I went to a bunch of panels and stuff, too. I liked the one on Privacy the most. Especially the guy in the back who started talking about ways to avoid popping up on the grid, so that you have an iron-tight alibi when you are being questioned in an interrogation room about being a serial killer. Uhhh .... yeah. Awesome.

- Hung a piece of ginger beef around my neck and wore it for a whole night as a necklace.

Ahh yes, the Meat Fetish. Damned weird when you think about it, but it was funny at the time, and even somehow made a sort of sense.

SSE-I am guilty of eating a *lot* of poutine... I mean I didn't sit on the floor in front of the table and eat an entire container like Mina (who declared it to the best shes ever had-and shes local) but I did stand there and just eat and eat and eat. It was heaven in a to go container!

:blush: Fine. I have no class. I don't know if it was the best I've ever had, but it was excellent poutine even by Montreal standards.

Also, all the Tim Powers recommendations at WorldCon motivated me to take out Last Call from the library yesterday. I'm only sixty pages in, but the book has blown me away so far.

Things I Did In Montreal

- Got kicked out of a crack park for being there after midnight, and for drinking beers in it, as well.

Every town should include it's crack parks on the tourist maps.

It was very funny hiding our drinks as we watched the cops drive past the park several times and then eventually they stopped and got out of their car well and truly peeved that we'd made them leave their vehicle and enter a crack park by not getting the drive-by message! They must have been cursing the new wave of 'crack park' tourism :P

George and Parris were the ones to break the news about Tim Powers to me on Sunday. George gave me a bit of good-natured shit for fangirling Tim at WFC when he introduced the two of us. :lol:

I dreamt that I paid $300 to go to a con just so I could attend a Tim Powers reading/signing. The program for it was called Omnibus and it was the only part of the con I was interested in (it was a whole mini-con dedicated to him).

I blame Pod. :P

edit: dreamed/dreamt wft?

Mina,

I beg to differ. You have loads of class. You live in a beautiful city and enjoy eating poutine. Nothing more needs to be said.

:)

We could comment on how adroable she is. :P

And I think SHE has class. She is smart and funny and very good company.

Hell Scot, a crack addict living in Montreal could fit your description of class. I saw a bum sleeping in the crack park and I bet he fits your description. :rolleyes:

:P

Archived