WorldCon

Most of us went to dinner at an Italian place in Old town Montreal last night. Food was pretty good. I tried a local version of a Belgian Wit. It was quite good. The Parties were really hopping last night. Apparently the CBC had a blurb about Worldcon and in the blurb it was announced that the Delta was the party hotel and that the 28th floor was the party floor of that hotel. The hotel placed security at the elevator because they imagined a flood of people swarming to the hotel to join the parties already in progress. It was a good time.

To quote a song: "I've got a feeling that tonight's gonna be a good night."

Looking forward to the BwB party tonight! I'll do my best to bring Patrick Rothfuss along! ;)

Patrick

To quote a song: "I've got a feeling that tonight's gonna be a good night."

Looking forward to the BwB party tonight! I'll do my best to bring Patrick Rothfuss along! ;)

I hope so. ;)

And Pat, tell um Pat that he's continuing to gain fans. I just finished his book and I can't remember when I've enjoyed a book more. My wife is reading now and she's loving it too.

You know, I'm sure George is tired about ADwD questions ... so here's some suggested non-ADwD questions! ;)

1) Can he confirm that Daenerys Targaryen has been cast for the HBO series? An actress has recently twittered that she was told they were no longer looking for someone for the role. (Might be best to ask this one when he's had some Irish Mist... ;)

2) Was it reasonable of Robb and Brynden to think that "hold Riverrun" was sufficiently strict an order that Edmure would could not interpret it more broadly? It seems they're the only people in the books who believe this. Was their dressing down of Edmure more a calculated move to "soften him up" to accept a Frey wedding?

3) Was Ser Raymun Darry the Lord of Darry? "His Lordship" and "the lordship's bedchambers" are often referenced, but Raymun is always just Ser Raymun.

4) Will we ever learn why the Valyrians never attempted to colonize/conquer further west than Dragonstone?

5) Was Darkstar about of an age with Arthur Dayne? Were they rivals for the position of Sword of the Morning?

6) Will we ever see the Isle of Faces?

7) Was Jaehaerys II's arm crippled at Summerhall?

In case con-goers are in a really generous mood in accepting questions from non-con-goers...

Did Jaime accomplish any noteworthy feat of arms or command while he was a Kingsguard under Robert? There's been some discussion that Jaime doesn't have enough credentials as a battle commander for Catelyn to call him a "seasoned battle commander" along with Tywin in Game of Thrones.

Paging Tyria. Tyria report please. We need an update on Operation: Whatever-it's-called.

Operation: Whatever-it's-called is still in the planning stages - there are high hopes for tonight though :P

You know, I'm sure George is tired about ADwD questions ... so here's some suggested non-ADwD questions! ;)

1) Can he confirm that Daenerys Targaryen has been cast for the HBO series? An actress has recently twittered that she was told they were no longer looking for someone for the role. (Might be best to ask this one when he's had some Irish Mist... ;)

2) Was it reasonable of Robb and Brynden to think that "hold Riverrun" was sufficiently strict an order that Edmure would could not interpret it more broadly? It seems they're the only people in the books who believe this. Was their dressing down of Edmure more a calculated move to "soften him up" to accept a Frey wedding?

3) Was Ser Raymun Darry the Lord of Darry? "His Lordship" and "the lordship's bedchambers" are often referenced, but Raymun is always just Ser Raymun.

4) Will we ever learn why the Valyrians never attempted to colonize/conquer further west than Dragonstone?

5) Was Darkstar about of an age with Arthur Dayne? Were they rivals for the position of Sword of the Morning?

Ran, you question-slut. lol

I do hope he answers some of them. :D

I've been going through the SSM to update the Concordance and noticed that in the last few years, not only have entries slacked off, but people were absurdly stuck on stuff like ... how do you get your ideas and stuff. The good old days of nerdish theme trivia must be revived!

I second especially the last question. Totally forgot that when I asked last year about Baelor the Blessed and the two Targaryen-Martell marriages.

But there are another nice freakish Targaryen questions:

1) Who was Jaehaerys's II. Queen (the mother of Aerys II. and Queen Rhaella Targaryen)? How and when did she die?

2) Who threw Bloodraven into the Black Cells? Aerys I., or Maekar I.?

3) Who made Aenys I. and Maegor I. King, respectively? Did any of Aegon's I. sisters outlive their royal brother? And, if any of them did, were they responsible for inthroning their sons?

4) Who were Viserys I. parents?

And, because we discuss these things right now in the board:

Why did Lord Tywin never remarry?

and, of course,

Was Shae planted into Tywin's bed by Varys or did Tywin just want to fuck the whore of the son he just condemded to death?

Archived