WorldCon

It really is too bad I didn't get to meet any of you folks- though if you guys also went to the Martin panel on Writing For a Living, you might have seen me. Should have crashed the party last night, apparently. Anyway, glad to hear that everyone seems to have had a great time and enjoyed Montreal, and maybe I'll catch some of you tomorrow at the Martin reading- I'm the shortish, black curly haired probably obnoxious 21 year old. Should be a good time!

Dude. Several of us were in that panel as well. And of course we will be at the reading. Just look around for the the large group of people who all seem to know eachother and are wearing BwB/ASOIAF related t-shirts. You'll no doubt hear a lot of Irish/Scottish/British accents, which should give us away. And Blame Pod paraphernalia.

Most of us went to the Hugo's tonight, which was a lot of fun and also very enlightening. Crammed all of us into one hotel room afterwards before cruising the party floors and taking over part of the ConSuite. It was a fun night, an awesome last evening for a great con. There was wonderful BwB love all around. Ser Scott had laughing fits, Peadar got objectified and - fear not - MG and Pebble got amazing pics.

My bones will turn to rocks if I don't get some sleep right this instant.

i see lots of blame pod t-shirts. so frickin awesome.

even Pod had one! There was a custom button making guy at the dealers room and Pod got a great button too. Super quick report from last night. We took over the X's room for a while and then toured the laat of the parties. The only big party upstairs was christian fandom, so we skipped that and took over a corner of the con suite. Some people were at a bar, and others slowly said goodbyes over the night. When our numbers ddwindled, a few of us went to MG and Pod's room. Mormont ditched early, but MG, Kat, Pebble and I hung out until MG kicked us out, although we did debate having all the women sleep in Pod's bed to see what he'd do when he arrive. But we then walked at Pebble pace back to our hotels.

Today is georges reading, but many people will miss it, including possibly myself. Full reports are incoming within 48 hours from many of us, we promise!

Ists also raining this morning, some of the first poor weather we've had.

I've checked out and will be heading over to the con site shortly and will see many for GRRM's reading. I wanted to tell everyone it's been a pleasure and I hope I can make it to Reno. I really hope everyone can make it to the NASFC in Raleigh next August.

Thank you for all the fun.

Hey folks

it's been a whirlwind of a WorldCon, today George does his reading and tomorrow we go home. I'm enjoying seeing friends, although this has not been the best run WorldCon which led to many serious problems, especially with the hotel management.

For those who aren't planning to go to AussieCon next year, I urge you to consider getting a membership for Reno - http://www.rcfi.org/index.php now, while rates are at the lowest. They haven't had time to update their web page, but you'll find the info up on the web site within a day or two.

For those who aren't able to attend the next WorldCons, consider getting a supporting membership in AussieCon and Renovation. You'll get all the convention publications, (including what should be an excellent program book for Reno, since Boris is the Artist Guest of Honor), and you'll have voting privileges for the Hugos and other related awards, as well as site selection for upcoming WorldCons. If later on you decide to attend a WorldCon, your supporting membership fee will be deducted from the full cost of an attending membership at the time of your conversion, and as always, if you can't attend, you can sell your membership to someone who can with little fuss.

Currently there are no bids that have direct competition, Chicago is bidding for 2012, San Antonio for 2013, with rumours of a UK bid (either in Glasgow or the Docklands) for 2015. But your pre-support of these bids allows them to have parties and do preparation for winning during the bid season and will save you $ if you vote in site selection and the bid wins. Usually pre-support and voting in site selection automatically converts to a supporting membership, and reduces the cost of an attending membership. If you live in or near the bid cities, consider making contact now and volunteering to support the bid now, in the early stages of the process. You'll meet lots of new people, have plenty of activities to participate in, and may even get to do a job during WorldCon more complex and interesting than lugging around boxes and setting up the art show.

Getting a supporting membership in a current WorldCon will help the committee, and will give you those all-important voting rights. If you were stunned that so many of the best novel nominees were YA books, or books you never heard of, if you thought that some of the nominations were the same old same old, (I admit I was very disappointed when neither Daniel Abraham nor Walter Jon William's novels made the final ballot, and still think Joe Abercrombie deserves more recognition than he's gotten so far) you can help get your favorite novels/stories/editor/artist/etc on the ballots if you take the time and make the effort to vote.

If I didn't see you here, I hope to see you next year, if I don't see you next year, you better turn up in Reno!

off for the last sweet hours of the con, and of course George's reading.

Silver I was not referering to your head. We found a furry with a Blame Pod Badge. When I went "OMG you have a Pod Badge, I just got to get a pic" She asked me who Pod was.

:lol:

Oh god. So now everyone knows to blame Pod, even if they don't know who Pod is?

I've checked out and will be heading over to the con site shortly and will see many for GRRM's reading. I wanted to tell everyone it's been a pleasure and I hope I can make it to Reno. I really hope everyone can make it to the NASFC in Raleigh next August.

Thank you for all the fun.

So Ser Scot is in charge of all Raleigh BWB planning...

with rumours of a UK bid (either in Glasgow or the Docklands) for 2015.

Vote Glasgow.

Docklands is good, better than it used to be and is...well, possibly cheaper to fly in to (but not to stay at). Glasgow has LOT of stuff to do, great restaraunts, nightlife, good and afforable hotels and conference facitilies that are right next to the centre of town. If it comes to a choice I'd urge everyone to vote for Glasgow if it is nominated.

Caveat: I'm baised, but we do kick London's arse (sorry Nat):P

At the airport and ready to fly home. If I didn't see you to say goodbye last night sorry. Goodbye and safe travels! I dId manage to go out at 1:30 last night and see some great naked karaoke. Yes. Naked karoke. Finally. You really don't care how they sound! I of course sounded great!

I stopped by the SFWA suite upon my return and had a lively debate Wirh several lovely con givers about the future of worldcons and how to try to "market" to a new and expanded audience.

Needless to say; they decided I wanted to take over this family run business and spent a few hours berating and belittling me for the mere mention of suggesting change. I took the yelling and screaming graciously and at 6am we hugged it out when I said that I understood. :evil:

As Parris said above. Now is the time to get involved. HeAther Urbanskii and I came up a plan that will probably never work. But it's here. On a cocktail napkin.

:)

I guess I'm going to Melbourne.

Archived