Lev Grossman, The Magicians trilogy (spoiler tags used for third book, The Magician's Land)

Larry.

He actually did when he wrote and sold the book (according to a talk he gave at this past Readercon); he had something like Gaiman's "The Problem of Susan" in mind. Then the publisher's lawyers made him change those references to something "original."

That's weird, as Orbit/DAW seemed to have no problems with Tad Williams setting entire chunks of his Otherland books in Middle-earth, complete with Elrond and Aragorn cameos.

Then he should have changed every reference of something real. You can have it set in our world if you like; that's fine. If so, you must have everything set in our world. Or it can be original, which is also fine. A mix of both to make it convenient is lazy.

And he did a shite job of making anything original.

Then he should have changed every reference of something real. You can have it set in our world if you like; that's fine. If so, you must have everything set in our world.

That's silly. The whole point was of the story was the references to Narnia and the idea that it was really real - the fact that the lawyers wanted names changed for safety doesn't mean he should change the whole gist of the book.

I dunno, Stego. You're either being difficult for the sake of getting a rise out of people, or you seem to be misinterpreting the type of book that Grossman was writing. Somehow, given that you're a pretty sharp guy, I expect it's the former. The Magicians is trying to be the Catcher in the Rye of Fantasy, not the second-coming of The Chronicles of Narnia. Whether it succeeds at that is up for debate, certainly.

Really the Fillory/Narnia plotline was of small importance to the book until the very end, where, admittedly, the novel loses a lot of its steam. Maybe once the sequel hits, which seems like it will be set more fully in Fillory, you may be able to complain about Grossman's lack of originality. But, maybe Grossman will surprise us by showing why Fillory can stand on its own. We don't know. It seems shortsighted to slam a book based on something it didn't set out to achieve.

Sure. But that's not what we're debating. We're debating whether Grossman is a talentless hack for ripping off Narnia and then renaming it because his lawyers told him to.

Look, I'm not going to write a paper, ok? I already wasted enough time on this tome of mediocrity.

Grossman is absolutely NOT a talentless hack, and I am saying just the opposite. If a man with an IQ of 40 ties his shoes, I'll be the first swinging dick to applaud. If a man capable of writing a novel worth reading writes boring garbage, he should be taken to task for it.

Not every book is good, and not every book that attempts to be art succeeds. Did the Magicians make you cry? Laugh? Did it make you horny? Did it make you mourn? Did it make you think new thoughts or consider new possibilities?

It fails as art.

An oddity about The Magicians is that the author has the main character's girlfriend be a very shy, withdrawn ultra-smart girl who most guys don't notice until he gets her to open up, whereupon she becomes an ultra-hot sex vixen. We are also told about her impressive bra size, repeatedly. I get the impression he should have taken a few more redrafting passes on those sections, preferably aided by a cold shower to reign in those author wish-fulfilment tendencies.

I dunno, Stego. You're either being difficult for the sake of getting a rise out of people, or you seem to be misinterpreting the type of book that Grossman was writing. Somehow, given that you're a pretty sharp guy, I expect it's the former. The Magicians is trying to be the Catcher in the Rye of Fantasy, not the second-coming of The Chronicles of Narnia. Whether it succeeds at that is up for debate, certainly.

Really the Fillory/Narnia plotline was of small importance to the book until the very end, where, admittedly, the novel loses a lot of its steam. Maybe once the sequel hits, which seems like it will be set more fully in Fillory, you may be able to complain about Grossman's lack of originality. But, maybe Grossman will surprise us by showing why Fillory can stand on its own. We don't know. It seems shortsighted to slam a book based on something it didn't set out to achieve.

Trying to redo Catcher in the Rye may not work with today's teen's. New York Magazine had a piece several weeks ago about how the current generation of teens doesn't like the novel or Holden. "Whiney" is a common term used to describe him by today's teenagers. Might this age divide might explain some of the polar opposite reaction this novel is getting?

Nope.

Everyone always thought Holden was whiny.

A guy once tried to fight me at a college party because I told him that Holden Caufield was a "whiny bitch." It was hilarious.

I do agree with the article that the book hasn't aged as well. It is anecdotal evidence, but I've found people who enjoyed the book read it in their teens while people who weren't as impressed (such as myself) read it in their 20's.

Christ, this novel goes to shit the moment they cross over the Fillory. . . :sick:

It was quite all right till then. Nothing original, but enjoyable nonetheless. But I'm about 50 pages from the end and it sucks big time at the moment.

Patrick

Simply because one does not write in simple declarative sentences does not make on literary, folks. The Magicians is not worth your time or effort.

Got a problem with declarative sentences, huh? When I was growing up, simple sentences were all we had, and maybe on Christmas, a Clause would visit, but it didn't happen every year. Be thankful you ain't livin' that life.

This book went downhill the minute the characters crossed over to Fillory. And then, the further the plot went, the worst it got. . .

Probably the most disappointing "big release" of the year. Started off as a relatively good Harry Potter for grown-ups kind of books, the sort of thing readers who don't like to stray from their comfort zone might enjoy. But the last hundred pages or so are crap. :thumbsdown:

Patrick

Archived