Why exercise wont make you thin

IheartTesla

Then they should DO something about it!! Make more options realistically avaliable.

All the options needed are there right now.

Jogging costs practically nothing to do. Skipping rope is also an incredibly good cardio exercise and again, costs nothing.

Healthy food can be cooked cheaply enough if you buy the core ingredients yourself.

So you already have everything you need to consume fewer calories plus burn more off.

The combination of the two solves the problem.

I find it actually quite insulting to hear people moan that they just don't get enough help to lose weight from the government. Go back 3 decades and help was not required because people were active and actually could be bothered to cook.

Oh great. Now we're on the plane seat bullshit. It's so unspeakably wrong, and a symptom of the much bigger problem of people truly believing that fat people are worth less than others, and thus should stay home and don't deserve to travel like "normal" people. If we charge them twice as much when plane tickets are already disgustingly expensive, why, they'll just stay home! Fewer fatties on the beach! Or just getting in my way while I'm trying to enjoy my vacation! What a brilliant plan this is!!

Plane travel by its very nature is uncomfortable. And now they have an excuse to cram even more people into a plane, because if you can't fit in a now-smaller seat, it doesn't matter! They just charge you double!

Sorry but if you can't even fit in a plane seat, which incidentally means that you'll be unlikely to fit in a bus seat, train seat or likely a cinema seat either, then you should pay for 2. Why should someone sitting next to you be forced to endure an extremely uncomfortable flight at best and quite possibly serious injury cos you spill over the edges of your seat?

Taking plane flights is not a god given right.

IMO, the general public should demand exercise and good nutrition to "help these individuals."

This myth is the root of the problem. Even if you don't eat completely absymially, and even if you work to avoid all things people think fat people do or don't do (don't take the stairs, refuse to walk anywhere, refuse to do anything involving physical labor, try not to overeat etc.) the chances are good that you will still be fat if you've always been so.

Lecturing isn't going to help anyone. Nor is a tax break if you don't have that much extra money in the first place. Glasses and contacts are physical things that help improve your vision. The nebulous "eat better and stop sitting around all the time, you fat slob" is not.

All the options needed are there right now.

Jogging costs practically nothing to do. Skipping rope is also an incredibly good cardio exercise and again, costs nothing.

Healthy food can be cooked cheaply enough if you buy the core ingredients yourself.

So you already have everything you need to consume fewer calories plus burn more off.

The combination of the two solves the problem.

I find it actually quite insulting to hear people moan that they just don't get enough help to lose weight from the government. Go back 3 decades and help was not required because people were active and actually could be bothered to cook.

Sorry but if you can't even fit in a plane seat, which incidentally means that you'll be unlikely to fit in a bus seat, train seat or likely a cinema seat either, then you should pay for 2. Why should someone sitting next to you be forced to endure an extremely uncomfortable flight at best and quite possibly serious injury cos you spill over the edges of your seat?

Taking plane flights is not a god given right.

I didn't say anything about the government. Last time I checked, this backwards country HATES the idea of government supplied healthcare. But that's the subject for another thread.

I fit just fine in a plane seat, a bus seat, and any movie theater I've ever been in. Some have been tight. Once on a small commuter plane, I needed an extender. But whether or not I pay double for the same service is determined by whatever asshole I sit next to? Fuck that.

I seriously don't know where people find the time in their days to take time out and deliberately put themselves through torture for little to no positive return. Fuck exercise.

I believe there is an award for studies which are pointless or positively stupid...

They probably have an article that fresh air makes you fat in the making. You know, a walk in fresh air is supposed to increase appetite and all.

And I am so not getting into the fat people/healthy food is evil/society made us do it debate. I think I have enough weight on me to break my neck when lynched, thank you :)

Odie, you are ignorant on this subject and seem to want to stay that way. I'm saying this as someone who weighs more than you. I was as fat as morbidly obese gets just a few years ago.

If what you've done in the past was not enough, do more. Quit whining about it. And don't ever fucking give up. You owe your family more than that.

I agree with Luke 100%. Fat people are lazy. Don't like hearing it? Do more.

I had a broken spine. I could have lost weight anyway. Instead, I was lazy. Did it hurt? Yeah. So what? I let myself go completely, and it was due to laziness.

Fuck this nonsense. Odie, you aren't ready to hear this until you're ready to hear this. I'm off to the gym.

This myth is the root of the problem. Even if you don't eat completely absymially, and even if you work to avoid all things people think fat people do or don't do (don't take the stairs, refuse to walk anywhere, refuse to do anything involving physical labor, try not to overeat etc.) the chances are good that you will still be fat if you've always been so.

Lecturing isn't going to help anyone. Nor is a tax break if you don't have that much extra money in the first place. Glasses and contacts are physical things that help improve your vision. The nebulous "eat better and stop sitting around all the time, you fat slob" is not.

Since eating better and being more active WILL solve your problem I am curious to what sort of help you think will assist you?

Magic food that burns calories?

I seriously don't know where people find the time in their days to take time out and deliberately put themselves through torture for little to no positive return. Fuck exercise.

And therein lies your problem. Finding time is incredibly easy. How much time do you spend watching TV? I'll bet its more than an hour a day. Spend that hour in the gym or jogging and eat better, problem solved.

I didn't say anything about the government. Last time I checked, this backwards country HATES the idea of government supplied healthcare. But that's the subject for another thread.

I fit just fine in a plane seat, a bus seat, and any movie theater I've ever been in. Some have been tight. Once on a small commuter plane, I needed an extender. But whether or not I pay double for the same service is determined by whatever asshole I sit next to? Fuck that.

Torture? I fucking love being in the gym. No return? Your not doing it right.

Once more. Fat people are lazy.

Then what, in your opinion, should be done to help obese people get slimmer? It seems you reject the exercise + diet solution, so you must have something else in mind?

Then you aren't doing it right. Find an activity that you think is fun, and go with that one. Whether it is swimming, walking, running etc. Then make a plan. See how far you can swim now, and then create a plan, maybe with the help of a professional, and do that activity 3-4 times a week, and increase it every week by a little bit. I promise, if you do follow the schedule, in 6-7 weeks time, you will feel extremely different.

It doesn't have to be torture. One of my favorite things to do is take my ipod and go for a walk. Yeah, might not burn as many calories as a run, but it is still doing something. Even if you do not loose weight there are other benefits to exercising. It can help your heart and weight lifting helps with bone density. It helps me with my depression. There can be satisfaction in pushing your body to do something you may at one point have thought impossible.

Genetics are not an excuse. Fat people are just lazy.

Tempra 133gs of fat in a 3000 calorie diet is high imo.

It is quite high, but a high-fat high-protein low-carb diet is a valid way of keeping healthy and managing weight. I was on a similar diet not very long ago (although mine was 40-40-20) and I achieved fantastic gains in muscle growth, strength gains and fat-loss. On top of that, I generally felt more energetic, less sluggish and more alert, and I slept better. This is partly due to what such a diet does to your hormone levels, when your body relies primarily on fat for energy it increases your testosterone and HGH production and reduces insulin production, all of which increases muscle growth and fat-loss. I'm on a similar but slightly modified diet right now. Of course, such a diet needs to be combined with a decent amount of exercise to burn the fat. It's definitely not for the sedentary.

ETA:

To weigh in on the more general discussion, I very much disagree with the "don't worry and just enjoy your life" argument. For me, eating healthy and working out is what I enjoy. If I eat sugar or other refined carbohydrate I feel shit for days. I'll feel tired, bloated and sluggish with a terrible headache. The only exception to this is fruit with a high water content like berries or melons. By contrast, vegetables, protein and natural fats make me feel lean, alert and energetic.

Exercise does the same thing. I don't train to look good. I don't even train for athletic performance (though that is a part of it). I train for the sheer joy of moving my body. For the feeling of the adrenaline, the blood in my veins and the air in my lungs. For the unparalleled focus and release of exerting yourself in the name of a physical challenge. And when I'm done, I feel so good about myself. To walk down the street knowing what I'm capable of compared to if I didn't train. It's like the difference between driving a ferrari compared to a people carrier.

They probably have an article that fresh air makes you fat in the making. You know, a walk in fresh air is supposed to increase appetite and all.

I've read studies that have claimed that obesity is caused by a virus. Some people fight off the virus, others don't and thus they get fat.

I'm shocked they haven't set up mandatory testing and fat colonies now, like they used to do with lepers. I mean, these people can just BREATHE on you and make you fat! We're not talking blood or fluid contact here, which is required for something like AIDS. Oh no. That person in the cube over from you? They could make you fat. That teacher? She's infecting the children!

Seriously. I know you can't cure viruses, but you can treat their symptoms! Would you tell someone with AIDS to go eat an apple and jump rope, and that'll make things all better??

Seriously. I know you can't cure viruses, but you can treat their symptoms! Would you tell someone with AIDS to go eat an apple and jump rope, and that'll make things all better??

Well, again, what do you suggest should be done to treat the "fat virus"?

I'm sorry, but I've seen a lot of complaining from you, but

a) no proof that you actually seriously tried 6 months or longer on a healthy diet, like WW, combined with exercise and it failed

b) what you want to suggest instead that would solve the issue

Torture? I fucking love being in the gym.

I'd say that's true of resistance training (and incidentally I believe that a reason many people have such trouble losing weight is that they completely ignore resistance training and therefore don't get the calorie burning boost that muscle provides nor the HGH/metabolism boost that intense resistance training brings) but its not so true of cardio.

If you're really going for it on the cardio its not what I would call an enjoyable process. At least whilst doing it.

Once you complete the workout then yes, you get a great sense of achievement but I much prefer doing resistance.

No return? Your not doing it right.

That's true enough.

Then what, in your opinion, should be done to help obese people get slimmer? It seems you reject the exercise + diet solution, so you must have something else in mind?

Treatments, if there truly is a viral cause in some cases.

Surgery, either removing excess fat or gastric bypass. And NOT have the expense be out of pocket, if you're covered by some type of health insurance. These treatments exist, but are unreachable for most people,

The ONLY person I've ever known who lost a significant (100+ pounds) of weight was because her rich parents paid for her to have gastric bypass surgery.

I've read studies that have claimed that obesity is caused by a virus. Some people fight off the virus, others don't and thus they get fat.

Viruses which nearly completely ignore parts of the world where unhealthy food is less prevalent and lethargic lifestyles rarer.

That's a curious virus. Or maybe its just bollocks.

I'm shocked they haven't set up mandatory testing and fat colonies now, like they used to do with lepers. I mean, these people can just BREATHE on you and make you fat! We're not talking blood or fluid contact here, which is required for something like AIDS. Oh no. That person in the cube over from you? They could make you fat. That teacher? She's infecting the children!

Hyperbole and strawmen will not help your argument here.

I'd say that's true of resistance training (and incidentally I believe that a reason many people have such trouble losing weight is that they completely ignore resistance training and therefore don't get the calorie burning boost that muscle provides nor the HGH/metabolism boost that intense resistance training brings) but its not so true of cardio.

If you're really going for it on the cardio its not what I would call an enjoyable process. At least whilst doing it.

Once you complete the workout then yes, you get a great sense of achievement but I much prefer doing resistance.

That's true enough.

Yeh I hate cardio. Which is why I don't do it.

Stego. Add some Clen and she would be golden haha.

I'm not even saying the research is true. If people believe it's true, then you'll see a demand to "contain the problem" rather than solving it. Or use it as an excuse to treat fat people even worse than they already do.

Archived