Exercise & Fitness VII

Stubby

Last two posts from the last thread:

good thing: running after the sun went down yesterday after a couple days running mid day and I felt like Bruce Jenner again. I was averaging <9minute miles for 6 miles, which, while is pretty good for a part time amateur like me.

bad thing: running that late I can't sleep afterwards. Even taking an antihistamine as sleep aid, I was tossing and turning all night. I hate working out in the afternoon/ evening.

and

I started my cut phase yesterday. The headaches I had (have) from the lack of caffeine have been insane. It hurts. I'm sleepy. I want to stab kittens.

RARW! I love it.

(And I will continue to tell myself this until it's over )

So vacation is over, conventions are over...time to get back to the gym. Not even sure what today will be, but it's gotta be better than what I have been doing.

Stegho - trust me on this, it WILL get better and you will feel a huge difference at the end of the week if you can stick it through, which I'm pretty confident you will be able to do. If not, blame Krista, not me :)

And since we like our cats, you can't come out here til you're over your felinicide phase.

edit: someone please merge Stubby's thread and mine

The good news is that I don't have pneumonia or swine flu. The bad news is that I do have bronchitis. I'll be able to pick up antibiotics today.

I don't know what to do about the marathon training. I've less than 2.5 months to go, but this sickness will mean at least two weeks with no real exercise- maybe more. The doctor said that even after the bronchitis bacteria is gone, it can be another few weeks before full energy and lung capacity comes back. There's no question that I could FINISH a marathon- I hiked 24 much hillier miles in the fall- but jog/walking a 4:30 isn't worth the plane ticket from Denver to DC. I'd already been struggling with the altitude, so I'm feeling like it might be time to wrap it up for the year.

I haven't posted in these threads in months.

It's now four months since I sprained my ankle. Two weeks on crutches, two more weeks of limping heavily and another two weeks of lingering swelling and discoloration. I can walk on it fine now, but not for more than a mile or so without feeling some discomfort. I still can't run and definitely can't play soccer yet. Just within the past week I have hit the treadmill three times, running two miles at a medium pace (7-8mph) with the ankle heavily strapped. It was a little sore during the run, but no noticeable after-effects. I'm going to keep pushing gradually on the treadmill to see if the ankle can sustain it. If it can't, I'm going to bite the bullet and consult an orthopedic surgeon to make sure there isn't permanent damage. I had expected to rehab quicker than this. Realistically, it looks like October at the earliest for a return to soccer, which still makes me mad with frustration.

So my cardio pretty much sucks, but I have been using a lot of weight lifting as a substitute. Because my work-out times are not regular enough to sustain a really intense weight-lifting regime, I've been keeping the weights lower and the reps higher. Lots of pull-ups (narrow and wide grip), press-ups, bench-presses, curls, tricep extensions, shoulder presses, upright rows, etc. Nothing very heavy for squats or dead-lifts though because of my ankle. It has been going pretty well. Not a full substitute for cardio, but at least it's something.

On Saturday, after bench pressing couple of 12-rep sets on 135lbs, I started increasing the weight to see how far I could take it and finished with 3-rep sets at 185lbs. I had not tried anything that heavy in years and it felt good. I know that's not impressive to the big lifters here, but 120% of body weight isn't bad for an ectomorph who is only lifting casually. I'm giong to start pushing up the weights on all exercises (I had plateaued), but I'll need to plan more carefully to get in my rest time without dropping workouts.

Eponine - sorry to hear you are sick. Get better soon. It doesn't sound like a marathon is on the cards for you this year.

I'm going to keep pushing gradually on the treadmill to see if the ankle can sustain it. If it can't, I'm going to bite the bullet and consult an orthopedic surgeon to make sure there isn't permanent damage. I had expected to rehab quicker than this. Realistically, it looks like October at the earliest for a return to soccer, which still makes me mad with frustration.

I know the feeling, I'm going to have to miss the whole next season of rugby because of my knee. The season hasn't even started yet and I'm already getting frustrated. If your ankle doesn't feel like it's recovering though you might as well go and get it checked out, I kept trying to ignore my knee and because of that I've wasted two seasons when it could have just been one.

Just had to come in here and post:

I JUST GOT CLEARED TO GO BACK TO THE GYM!!! :thumbsup:

Fuck, it has been a rough 3+ weeks. Goddamned prednisone (which I am still on, but now on a low maintenance dose) and not being able to exercise -- I am pretty sure I'm developing the dreaded moonface -- has been messing with me. But no longer. I am going to start slow (slower than if I were merely coming off of an illness, because of the surgery), but it's better than nothing. I probably won't go back to my trainer until at least Sept 1, possibly Sept 15 to give me time to get back into some working order.

I am a morning person. This means I was up way before most others at the con. So what did I do with my early mornings? I worked out in the gym. Went down about 6:45 each morning, did 15-20 minutes on the eliptical and then a round on the weight machines and a few things (bicep curls, lifts, ect) with the free weights.

Most interesting was the CCP (creepy con person) who also seemed to be a morning person.

Dude wears his con badge while exercising ( :rolleyes: ) His physique suggest that he is stranger to real workouts (as did his actions) he did bicep curls with his whole body, followed by leg presses with just 20pounds (lol) and leg lefts with just 10 pounds. He also had a problem counting...23, 24, 25, 36, 37....40. Mostly he just stared at me and the other lady in there. very weird and very creepy.

We also walked lots and lots and lots. Got a ton of exercise in and ate mostly healthy.

Just had to come in here and post:

I JUST GOT CLEARED TO GO BACK TO THE GYM!!! :thumbsup:

Fuck, it has been a rough 3+ weeks. Goddamned prednisone (which I am still on, but now on a low maintenance dose) and not being able to exercise -- I am pretty sure I'm developing the dreaded moonface -- has been messing with me. But no longer. I am going to start slow (slower than if I were merely coming off of an illness, because of the surgery), but it's better than nothing. I probably won't go back to my trainer until at least Sept 1, possibly Sept 15 to give me time to get back into some working order.

That is really great news! :cheers:

Good news, X. (The Gym is a cocktail, right?)

And talking of taking it easy, I’m just back from a successful 12 km run, the first in more than two years. I promised myself to keep the watch at home, so I have no idea about time, but it can’t be great.

Still. 12 clicks. Sounded impossible two weeks ago. I even turned it up a bit for the last bit and felt great. (Little Michael Jackson on the iPod.)

Total 42 km. Also, registered for a half marathon in October.

I am a morning person. This means I was up way before most others at the con. So what did I do with my early mornings? I worked out in the gym. Went down about 6:45 each morning, did 15-20 minutes on the eliptical and then a round on the weight machines and a few things (bicep curls, lifts, ect) with the free weights.

Most interesting was the CCP (creepy con person) who also seemed to be a morning person.

Dude wears his con badge while exercising ( :rolleyes: ) His physique suggest that he is stranger to real workouts (as did his actions) he did bicep curls with his whole body, followed by leg presses with just 20pounds (lol) and leg lefts with just 10 pounds. He also had a problem counting...23, 24, 25, 36, 37....40. Mostly he just stared at me and the other lady in there. very weird and very creepy.

We also walked lots and lots and lots. Got a ton of exercise in and ate mostly healthy.

Way to go Lany and thanks for the funny story.

Anyone ever have any luck with changing up their workouts to something like this:

Instead of chest and tricep workout, you do a chest and bicep, then a back and tricep two days later? The reason I ask is because on chest day, by the time I get to isolating my triceps, my arms are too fatigued to do much.

I do four sets on the bench press.

Four sets incline.

Four sets on butterfly pec machine.

When I move over to skull crushers and dips I can't sustain more than a set and a half of each.

Bicep work outs like curls are even worse for me on back days.

Anyone ever have any luck with changing up their workouts to something like this:

Instead of chest and tricep workout, you do a chest and bicep, then a back and tricep two days later? The reason I ask is because on chest day, by the time I get to isolating my triceps, my arms are too fatigued to do much.

I do four sets on the bench press.

Four sets incline.

Four sets on butterfly pec machine.

When I move over to skull crushers and dips I can't sustain more than a set and a half of each.

Bicep work outs like curls are even worse for me on back days.

Back

Chest and Bis

Rest

Legs

Shoulders and Tris

Rest

Rest

This is what I would do.

Thanks, everyone. :) I was so happy to hear those words today at the headmeat doctor's office.

Will you be on the prednisone much longer?

At least a month, or until I can start taking the other drug (monoclonal antibody). Tests are still ongoing to determine if I qualify/would benefit from it, but should be sorted within a couple of weeks.

Archived