Exercise & Fitness VII

Stubby

I'm currently trying to do a handstand against a wall every day until I can finally do one properly.

Why? Apart from it helping strength and all, I did some gymnastics when I was doing Shaolin in China and it was great fun. Just a bit painful sometimes.

Basically just holding it as long as I can progressively. Does anyone have any tips? I've had a look on the net for suggestions, but none have blown me away.

If I could do it every morning at 7 I would be so happy. By 7, I am already at work though. I also need to pick up a few dumb bells. I really enjoyed working out with them. Just need to find the right weights. (I was using the 10lbs at the hotel)

yeah, work is such a pain in the ass, isn't it? :P It totally screws up my schedule too!

I'm enjoying working out with dumbbells, too--it seems to not worry me as much as free weights on bars but seems to be giving me similar results. hopefully.

Like... raising your arm straight up so that your arm can touch your ear? Like Hermione in the first Harry Potter movie?

Capoeira sounds so fun. I've always wanted to try it, and the bodies of the capoeiristas are amazing. I've always admired the leanness of dancers and capoeiristas have that same look. Well, maybe after this kid is born...

No I mean like putting your hands perpendicular to your forearm. Like in this picture, except with your hands up instead of down, and not touching each other.

http://www.tcmadvisory.com/UploadFiles/2007731171435681.gif

As for the capoeira, it IS fun. Plus it is a great stress reliever. By the end of class you are wicked tired but while class is going on you can't help but give it your all. A lot of people can't walk the next day, lol. The capoeira environment isn't like other MA environments, it is a really welcoming experience. They usually have capoeira music playing in the background and most teachers will let you join in the roda the first day.

@ Gilgamesh: The way that I learned to do handstands (and handstand pushups) in capoeira was by doing progressions to the handstands as well as doing handstands and hand-walking all at the same time (the same time meaning at the same training period). For progressions we started out by crouching on the ground and putting our arms out in front of us on the ground shoulders length apart and then lean forward onto our arms until the point where our hands are the only thing touching the floor. At this point your head is facing down and your butt is in the air and your knees are on your elbows. Then we went back into a crouch and repeated the exercise. The next step is raising your legs straight up for 1 second and then bringing them back down into the original position and then movign back into the crouch and repeating. The final step is just upping to the from 1 second to 3 to 5 to 10 etc. We would also do cartwheels and stop when we were vertical and then finish the cartwheel. Also we would just straight up try to do handstands from a standing position. The final thing we did to learn was hand-walking (the key is to 'fall' onto your hands rather than to actually try to walk).

I'm currently trying to do a handstand against a wall every day until I can finally do one properly.

Why? Apart from it helping strength and all, I did some gymnastics when I was doing Shaolin in China and it was great fun. Just a bit painful sometimes.

Basically just holding it as long as I can progressively. Does anyone have any tips? I've had a look on the net for suggestions, but none have blown me away.

Handstand progression

Handstand drills part I

Handstand drills part II

On a separate note, anyone who's done crossfit before is probably familiar with Linda, aka "The Three Bars of Death." It's a brutal brutal workout. 1.5xbodyweight deadlift, 1xbodyweight bench press and 0.75xbodyweight power clean. 10 reps of each, then 9, then 8, then 7 etc. By the end of my session today I was seeing stars and fighting the urge to throw up, and this was using reduced weight as well. In any case, I was happy to beat my target of finishing in 30 minutes. Yay me.

I thought I'd quit this board, but I guess I had not since I am currently posting. I like the idea of this thread. I too shall watch it for motivation, and maybe occassionally post to whine about soreness or looking scrawnier than everyone else in the gym or something.

Keep up the good work :) I'm down to running and push-ups at home, but I'll be back to the gym on Tuesday. I have faith in improvement.

this thread has helped me a ton. just remember that the goal is positive encouragement, even when things get bitchy. And when things do get bitchy, just cool out until it returns to positive encouragement.

welcome, she-who-was Zabzy, Min, and Mo!

I went for my first post-Con run today. Made it 3.5 miles, but it felt like a lot more thanks to a long weekend of Con-going and the humidity that makes it feel like I'm trying to breathe in a swamp. Perhaps Friday will be better.

Dude, it was so hot and humid in Brooklyn last week you could have gone swimming instead.

Welcome to the thread, Mo, MinDonner, and Zabzy. :)

Good to hear about your head, Xray. :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear about the bronchitis, Ep and Chataya. :thumbsdown: I thought I might be coming down with some unusual cough/sore throat thing during the con, but today it seems to have cleared up.

Um....let's see. Last week was a total wash, unless you count all the cocktails I had as being like my liver doing pushups. :P My hotel had a fitness center and while I was good about exercising on my last trip, this one was a total fail. Walking around the convention center and to/from the party hotel and my hotel several times every day counts, right? :unsure: Oh well.

I am not sure how all the people in Montreal (who were not con attendees) looked so much like sticks. The food there seemed to be nothing but cheese, with or without poutine. I ate a lot of cheese. I'm not sure I want to see any for a while now.

I have been to the gym both days since I got back, though, so feeling good about that. Yay. Apparently the cheese made me stronger, too. Or maybe the rest. But I will blame it on the cheese.

I went to the doctor today (Darling insisted - apparently, I kept both him and the cat awake all night with my coughing), and I have a sinus infection and bronchitis.

Man, August SUCKS. I'm probably going to lose all the gains I made in muscle.

F*cking August.

You'll be getting an ab workout!

Sorry you're sick though.

TMI warning....

I had to sponge bath this morning because the steam from the shower made me cough so much I almost threw up. I'm kind of pissy.

I went to the doctor today (Darling insisted - apparently, I kept both him and the cat awake all night with my coughing), and I have a sinus infection and bronchitis.

Man, August SUCKS. I'm probably going to lose all the gains I made in muscle.

F*cking August.

I know it's not good to do cardio with a sinus infection (I had one that went undiagnosed for a month once during track season and thought I just had a bad cold, by the end I was coughing and sneezing blood) but can you lift or is that out of the question too?

I find this tutorial on the handstand pretty good.

I'm assuming that the "rest and plenty of liquids" advice that the doc gave me along with the medication meant no hard physical activity (cardio or lifting), and that "liquids" referred to water, veggie broth, and hot tea, not champagne or martinis :)

Being sick sucks!!!

I agree, I'm miserable when I'm sick.

You could probably do some really light exercise. Walking and lifting but not straining yourself probably won't hurt. But, you are the one who is feeling what you are feeling. If you feel that rest is better right now, rest.

And a martini or two might help you sleep better.

Sorry Chataya. Two people in this small group with bronchitis in August seems improbable. Was there a bio-attack on the Con?

I found myself in an impromptu table-tennis match last weekend. I was very rusty (it has been ten years) but acquitted myself well enough to be conscripted into some table-tennis club in the area. That will be a good diversifier of my cardio if I can find time. Unfortunately, I gave no thought to my ankle before playing (I did not have it strapped) and it has been swollen and sore since. Not smart on my part.

I pushed up my treadmill run to 2.5 miles on Tuesday at a high speed (with heavy ankle strapping). Since my ankle was already sore and swollen from table-tennis, it's hard to tell how well it fared. I'll do it again tonight or tomorrow.

I had a good weights work-out last night, but could only get one rep of 185lbs on the bench press. My mid-week running and weight-lifting all happen after 10:00, if not after 11:00, by the time I get home from work. So my energy levels are much lower than my weekend workouts.

Pull-ups are too easy for me now, I need to attach some weights to myself to increase the challenge. I think there are belts I can get for this.

Got totally back into the routine today. Lower body and cardio... and my normal food routine is back. Also cutting back on the alcohol during the weekend and going to weekends only...

I've got only one 4 night trip to Vegas in Oct to derail my fitness plans for the rest of the year.

:)

Another option if you're interested is to get a weight vest.

Is it normal with these body weight lifts that people can do way more dips than pullups? I can do probably 14 or so unassisted dips and can only get a pullup or two.

For me it is yeh. I can do way more dips than pullups.

Archived