Exercise & Fitness VII

Stubby

Another option if you're interested is to get a weight vest.

Is it normal with these body weight lifts that people can do way more dips than pullups? I can do probably 14 or so unassisted dips and can only get a pullup or two.

I think it's normal, but for me it's the opposite: I can usually manage a few more pullups than dips. The reason is probably that I have a relatively strong upper back and pathetically weak shoulders for my body weight. Another example of my lacking shoulder strength is that my press is only slightly more than half my bench press, which I think is an unusually big difference (and its not because my bench press is good).

How do the major lifts compare for you guys? For me, it's usually deadlift > back squat > front squat > power clean > bench press > press > power snatch. I've only just started learning the power snatch; I expect it to improve rapidly.

How do the major lifts compare for you guys? For me, it's usually deadlift > back squat > front squat > power clean > bench press > press > power snatch. I've only just started learning the power snatch; I expect it to improve rapidly.

I have nearly the same progression. At the moment I can bench more than I can clean but there's not a huge amount in it.

I tend to get lung things at the drop of a hat; I've had pneumonia three times in my life. So I don't fart around and wait for shit to go away on its own anymore (which I used to do, and it always turned into pneumonia).

Ohhhhhhh dear. That is bad news. Get better!

I went to work in the office today for the second time in three weeks, and therefore went to the gym today for the first time in three weeks. I couldn't get into a comfortable enough position to do anything with my left leg - the right was just too sore - but did about three quarters of an hour's dumbbells and crunches, sitting on a swiss ball. Went up to 6kg from 5kg, my previous weight of first resort. Waist up, I feel great.

Did something to my right arms rotator cuff. I can't lift my arm at the moment. I'm hoping it will go away in a couple of days, as I don;t think I did anything serious enough to be a real injury.

Still, it's very annoying to take a couple of days off.

My black toenail finally fell off last night. Or rather it fell 3/4 the way off and I had to tear the rest off. Yuck. Looks even grosser now than before. There was a small, very deformed toenail-like thing underneath the old toenail. I can tell it's going to take a very long time for it to grow back and look normal. But it doesn't hurt, so it shouldn't interfere with hiking or running, I think.

My black toenail finally fell off last night. Or rather it fell 3/4 the way off and I had to tear the rest off. Yuck. Looks even grosser now than before. There was a small, very deformed toenail-like thing underneath the old toenail. I can tell it's going to take a very long time for it to grow back and look normal. But it doesn't hurt, so it shouldn't interfere with hiking or running, I think.

oohohohoh grossss. Don't you think any kind of hiking or running would exacerbate the injury though, or at least make it take longer to heal? Maybe it would be a good idea to just chill for a week or two.

Damn, I still can't run. I've had heel pain since February. It isn't too bad, though I always feel it a bit. It gets bad when I run. I'm fairly certain its Plantar Fasciitis, and I can't shake it. I've tried inserts, stretches, staying off it. A recent stretch I learned where I wrap a belt around the ball of my foot and stretch back has worked better than most, but even now I still feel it slightly sensitive. I know if I tried running it would be just as bad as ever.

The shitty thing is I like running and always have. I hate the non-impact machines like the elitipical trainer. I want to be out on the roads running.

The doctor has been mostly useless. I guess there's not much I can do for it.

Simon - plantar fasciitis sucks. :( Have you tried an exercise with your feet where you tap your toes from side to side after warming up a little and then again after? When I started walking again, a friend of mine suggested it for my sore feet and it worked nicely. Just tossing it out there.

I'm fairly certain its Plantar Fasciitis, and I can't shake it.

I just had it, and just started running again. After two years.

You want to get it x-rayed to confirm that it’s plantar fasciitis (the bone protusion is quite visible). I then got insets at the clinic. This helped immediately, but the whole healing process takes a long time. (Half a year is nothing, I’m afraid.)

Ugh. Hiked up Masada. Stupid big steep cliff hill thing. My sympathies currently lie with the Romans. Poor Romans. Who came up with the idea of going up it in August? (not me. I was just the first aid/security person. 2 scraped knees, a blister and many idiotic inquiries about my gun, for the record.)

I started to do a couch-to-5km last week, 5k being the point when I start to stop hating running, and the slow pace is encouraging. My second run should be today (The first one went better than I expected it to.) But i'm going to postpone it to tommorow thank to Masada. Stupid hill.

Did something to my right arms rotator cuff. I can't lift my arm at the moment. I'm hoping it will go away in a couple of days, as I don;t think I did anything serious enough to be a real injury.

Still, it's very annoying to take a couple of days off.

take more days off than that. shoulder injuries take forever to heal.

I had a pretty good legs day yesterday, despite being rushed off a couple machines earlier than I would have preferred. Even though I know people will wait for me to finish, if I know someone wants to use the same station I'm on, I tend to rush and not breathe properly. thanks to warming up with a couple of the seastarr stretchestm, deadlifts felt good, even though I'm still too scared to lift anything more than 275.

Hello, first post in this thread...

Recently started working out to try and get in better shape, mostly for aesthetic reasons. I'm a pretty healthy weight and my body composition is normal, but I carry more fat around my midsection, especially the dreaded love handles, than I would prefer.

So, a typical workout for me is half an hour of cardio (generally on a tread-climber machine when one is available in the gym, otherwise a brisk walk on 10-11% incline treadmill) followed by however long it takes me to get through whatever weights I'm doing that day.

Basically posting to give encouragement to everyone else here and to see if anyone has advice for losing love handles in a non-surgical way; I've changed my diet some (not totally) to cut out some of the excess carbs and fats as well as eat smaller portions in general, and I've combined that with the workouts as well as basically being more active in general.

Someone praise me please. ;)

I did a bike trip of 60 km (about 37 miles) today. Took me about 3 h 15 min (biketime only, overall the trip took me 3 h 40 min). So not fast, but still...

I'm quite proud of myself. :D

Recently started working out to try and get in better shape, mostly for aesthetic reasons. I'm a pretty healthy weight and my body composition is normal, but I carry more fat around my midsection, especially the dreaded love handles, than I would prefer.

So, a typical workout for me is half an hour of cardio (generally on a tread-climber machine when one is available in the gym, otherwise a brisk walk on 10-11% incline treadmill) followed by however long it takes me to get through whatever weights I'm doing that day.

Basically posting to give encouragement to everyone else here and to see if anyone has advice for losing love handles in a non-surgical way; I've changed my diet some (not totally) to cut out some of the excess carbs and fats as well as eat smaller portions in general, and I've combined that with the workouts as well as basically being more active in general.

I find it's generally better to do your weights first and then cardio if you're going to do them together. Also, what sort of weights do you do? Mostly machines or free weights?

To get rid of body fat comes down to about 70% diet and 30% training. There's no way of getting rid of love handles specifically, you have to reduce your bodyfat percentage as a whole. At its heart that comes down to three things:

1) Healthy eating, with lots of vegetables and protein, some fat and not too many carbs. Small, frequent meals.

2) Cardio training. More intense is mostly better, interval training is great if you can do it.

3) Heavy compound weightlifting. This increases your base metabolic rate so you burn more calories.

Distance running. It will obliterate any kind of bodyfat you are looking to get rid of.

Archived