The Walking Dead - TV show SPOILERS only (not for the comic)

palin99999

AMC has optioned Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead. See quote below:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...5cdd4d9a8b8450e

In its biggest development deal to date, AMC has acquired the rights to Robert Kirkman's popular comic book "The Walking Dead" for a potential series.

Frank Darabont is on board to write, direct and exec produce the project, with Gale Anne Hurd of Valhalla Pictures and David Alpert of Circle of Confusion also executive producing.

"Walking Dead," a monthly black-and-white comic book, has been a hotly sought-after property since it was published in 2003 by Image Comics. Darabont originally developed the project several years ago under his deal at NBC. It landed at AMC after a healthy bidding war.

"Dead" chronicles the months and years following a zombie apocalypse where a group of survivors, led by police officer Rick Grimes, travel in search of a safe, secure home. The comic explores the challenges of life in a world overrun by zombies that take a toll on the survivors. Over time, they grow willing to do anything to survive, so the interpersonal conflicts sometimes present a greater danger to their continuing survival than the zombies who roam the country.

Genre films have traditions on AMC, whose annual Fearfest horror showcase continues to be a strong draw.

But a "Dead" series would transcend the comic book genre and mesh with AMC's other drama offerings, "Mad Men" and "Breaking Bad," said Joel Stillerman, senior vp original programming, production and digital content.

"I don't know of another series of books that has such beautiful storytelling, great human emotions and everything that really works on AMC," he said. "It allows us to stay where we want to stay: in the world of smart, sophisticated storytelling and apply that to a show that we think the audience would love."

Darabont, an Oscar nominee for writing "The Green Mile" and "The Shawshank Redemption," is repped by CAA.

In its biggest development deal to date, AMC has acquired the rights to Robert Kirkman's popular comic book "The Walking Dead" for a potential series.

Frank Darabont is on board to write, direct and exec produce the project, with Gale Anne Hurd of Valhalla Pictures and David Alpert of Circle of Confusion also executive producing.

"Walking Dead," a monthly black-and-white comic book, has been a hotly sought-after property since it was published in 2003 by Image Comics. Darabont originally developed the project several years ago under his deal at NBC. It landed at AMC after a healthy bidding war.

"Dead" chronicles the months and years following a zombie apocalypse where a group of survivors, led by police officer Rick Grimes, travel in search of a safe, secure home. The comic explores the challenges of life in a world overrun by zombies that take a toll on the survivors. Over time, they grow willing to do anything to survive, so the interpersonal conflicts sometimes present a greater danger to their continuing survival than the zombies who roam the country.

Genre films have traditions on AMC, whose annual Fearfest horror showcase continues to be a strong draw.

But a "Dead" series would transcend the comic book genre and mesh with AMC's other drama offerings, "Mad Men" and "Breaking Bad," said Joel Stillerman, senior vp original programming, production and digital content.

"I don't know of another series of books that has such beautiful storytelling, great human emotions and everything that really works on AMC," he said. "It allows us to stay where we want to stay: in the world of smart, sophisticated storytelling and apply that to a show that we think the audience would love."

Darabont, an Oscar nominee for writing "The Green Mile" and "The Shawshank Redemption," is repped by CAA.

Looks like it's in good hands with Darabont and AMC. Wonder if they'll do it in black and white.

• 7 months later...

Hrm, in Love Actually, where he's part of one of the more memorable storylines. Hard to say how good he is, as his role is relatively brief (the film is made up of a little of little, love-related stories, with a big ensemble cast), but his major scene is one of the most memorable, and was carried out entirely in silence. It worked in part because of the expressiveness of his eyes and hands, so... who knows? I don't expect Darabont would cast a dud.

• 1 month later...

I recently rented up to book 8 from the library, and am glad I had done so. I thought I was all caught up, but was soooo wrong. I believe there are, what, 11 books out now?

I honestly don't know how this can work on AMC. HBO or even Showtime, yes. But AMC? This series is freaking BRUTAL!

You figure with a zombie story there are going to be deaths, but when that dickhole Governor finally attacks the prison and almost everyone ends up dead? Tyrese gets his head sloppily chopped off, the farmer and his kid along with the new doc and Patty all gunned down, Lori and the newborn are shotgunned to death.... how in the hell are they going to show that? Or Michonne's torture of the Governor?

This is going to have to be watered down heavily, but it's still going to be AWESOME.

You're certainly going to have to rely on more off-camera/implied violence and gore, but if done skillfully that can be just as cringe-worthy. FX gets away with an awful lot in its series though, so it may not have to be quite as tame as you might think.

Archived