A thread about hiphop...

Horus Ex Machina

oh man, I never knew this thread existed. Perhaps I can use it to vent my frustration at the direction Kanye west's music has take since he released MBDTF(a modern classic IMO). But let me not go into that now, all I'm going to say is bugger Kanye, bugger modern hip hop and bugger record executives for being the driving force behind the bucket loads of bubblegum hip hop that we've been getting lately.

I started this thread back when the first Slaughterhouse album came out to extoll the virtues of the type of throwback sound they created while bridging 3 different regions of music. I will say that it has opened me up to some groups and songs that I might have never heard even through various alternative sources like Last FM and Pandora. That said, I did forget that it existed for awhile and it was listening to 2 Chainz continued failure to put out any type of meaningful material that brought me back here to complain about it.

There's a Youtuber/hiphop humorist who has a cartoon parody of modern hip hop and various rappers. His name is Filnobep. Check it out. You'll laugh. I was upset that he made fun of Wale though. He pretty much scores on everyone equally. But for the really bad rappers, it hits home.

E2A:

Horus B,

Slaughterhouse is really good. Listening to it actually changed my opinion of Joe Budden, and further reinforced my respect for Royce.

I remember how much I loved Goblin when I first heard it, I still think one of the best video I've seen on youtube is a montage of scenes from the movie City of God with Analog(ft Hodgy) playing over it. Haven't really taken anytime to listen to any of Earl's stuff though, thanks for the links I'll definitely give them a listen.

Alright so I just saw the video to mr West's black skinhead, and yeah...the creative juices have run dry. I think I'll stick to Schoolboy Q for now.

Only recently discovered Danny Brown, excellent rapper who plays to his strength, raw lyrics and hard beats. He has been likened to the late ODB which i think good way to describe his style to someone who's never heard of him. I highly recommend his XXX album.

My personal favorites:

Danny Brown- Blunt after Blunt

Danny Brown- Monopoly

Danny Brown- Grown Up

Also Born Sinner- J Cole is easily the best rap/hip-hop album of the year. It basically announces J. Cole as top contender for the crown.

• 4 weeks later...

OMG!

Ceelo has returned to the fold...

I'm coppin it. Definitely need to support this album. Only concern is if it will be dominated by Ceelo. This track doesn't show it but

was basically a Ceelo single. Still, with Janelle Monae, Special Ed is one of the best tracks I've heard in YEARZS!!!!

Horus B,

Slaughterhouse is really good. Listening to it actually changed my opinion of Joe Budden, and further reinforced my respect for Royce.

I remember how much I loved Goblin when I first heard it, I still think one of the best video I've seen on youtube is a montage of scenes from the movie City of God with Analog(ft Hodgy) playing over it. Haven't really taken anytime to listen to any of Earl's stuff though, thanks for the links I'll definitely give them a listen.

Alright so I just saw the video to mr West's black skinhead, and yeah...the creative juices have run dry. I think I'll stick to Schoolboy Q for now.

I'm just happy that there is still music out there that I can get excited about, so if I can turn a few other people onto it... Check out the new Goodie Mob. It makes me angry that a song this good will probably only be seen by a few million months from now when something like Blurred Lines gets 10 million views if you just mention it. I've only bought the first single atm, but I'm getting the rest.

DKB,

Congrats, you are official the coolest person I know.

Yeah Born Sinner sounds real good, I especially love Villuminati and Forbidden Fruit. I don't like the way so called critics are comparing the album directly to MBDTF, I mean MBDTF is amazing we all know that, but that doesn't mean Born Sinner isn't good.

OMG!

Ceelo has returned to the fold...

Love it! I'll check the album out on iTunes, this will be the first time I listen to Goodie Mob.

I love the controversy Kendrick Lamar has stirred up with his brilliant verse on Control. Anything that gives us a break from all these Miley Cyrus twerk discussions.

I love the controversy Kendrick Lamar has stirred up with his brilliant verse on Control. Anything that gives us a break from all these Miley Cyrus twerk discussions.

I love how he even calls out the cats who are on the freestyle with him. Just ballzy!!

"But this is hip hop and them niggas should know what time it is

And that goes for Jermaine Cole, Big KRIT, Wale

Pusha T, Meek Millz, A$AP Rocky, Drake

Big Sean, Jay Electron', Tyler, Mac Miller

I got love for you all but I'm tryna murder you niggas"

The only person on that list who I would absolutely be happy to see fall out of the game is Drake. Rhymes with fake.

I don't mind Drake, he's hit or miss for me. Never been a fan of Mac Miller but his last album (Watching Movies) actually wasn't bad, which surprised me.

The people on that list I really can't stand are Meek Millz and ASAP Rocky. I think they're both pretty terrible.

The people on that list I really can't stand are Meek Millz and ASAP Rocky. I think they're both pretty terrible.

I have to agree with the Meek Mill part but disagree with the ASAP Rocky part, he's got great flow, his lyrics are passable and he pretty good production. He isn't amazing, but he definetly isn't bad. Listen to"Goldie"

Archived